Potentially Some Great News for Miami! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Potentially Some Great News for Miami!

— Returning from an Achilles injury generally takes between six and nine months. Fortson, while playing for Kansas City, returned from an Achilles injury in six months;

— Returning from an ACL injury generally takes between nine and 12 months. Brooks, while playing for Seattle, returned from an ACL injury in eight months.

This is where things take an interesting turn.

If the Dolphins think it’s realistic both Chubb and Phillips are both healthy by opening day, that would mean they only need one more edge rusher, a mid-level guy, in free agency or the draft, someone to go along with recently-signed Shaq Barrett and provide depth. Think of the 2020 version of Andrew Van Ginkel, who had 5 1/2 sacks.

However, if the Dolphins don’t think it’s realistic both will be healthy by opening day, or that one of them won’t be 100% healthy until, say, midseason, that would mean they need a top-level guy, a high-profile free agent or a first- or second-round draft pick to supply additional pass-rushing punch. Think beyond Barrett, to perhaps the 2021 version of Phillips, the rookie who had 8 1/2 sacks.

If you listen to Fortson and Brooks, the optimistic view of the Chubb and Phillips return is realistic.

Let’s do the math.
Phillips, who had 6 1/2 sacks last season, is recovering from an Achilles tendon injury he sustained at the New York Jets on Nov. 24.
If Phillips returns in six months he’ll be back in May.
Chubb, who had 11 sacks last season, is recovering from an ACL injury he sustained at Baltimore on Dec. 31.
If Chubb returns in eight months, he’ll be back in August.
Here’s even better news.
Fortson said he wasn’t just fit to return to practice in a short amount of time, he said he was 100% healthy in a short amount of time.
“I tore my Achilles on Oct. 17 of 2021, and I was back on the field that February, so I kind of felt 100% by OTAs,” he said of the Organized Team Activities that occur in April and proceed through June minicamp.

At the same time, you don’t want to rush either Chubb or Phillips back. And that’s been the Dolphins’ trend with injuries, to give the players ample time. They had that lesson reinforced last season when they admittedly allowed center Connor Williams to return too early. He sustained a setback and had to miss more time.
So there’s sufficient evidence the Dolphins need to be conservative on these returns.
Forston doesn’t have any insight into Phillips’ injury or recovery. But he, such as Dolphins fans, is hoping for the best.
“I’m praying for him in his recovery,” Fortson said. “I hope it works for him.
“It didn’t take that long. I was back running in 4 1/2 months. It didn’t really take that long.”

— Returning from an Achilles injury generally takes between six and nine months. Fortson, while playing for Kansas City, returned from an Achilles injury in six months;

— Returning from an ACL injury generally takes between nine and 12 months. Brooks, while playing for Seattle, returned from an ACL injury in eight months.

If the Dolphins think it’s realistic both Chubb and Phillips are both healthy by opening day, that would mean they only need one more edge rusher, a mid-level guy, in free agency or the draft, someone to go along with recently-signed Shaq Barrett and provide depth. Think of the 2020 version of Andrew Van Ginkel, who had 5 1/2 sacks.

However, if the Dolphins don’t think it’s realistic both will be healthy by opening day, or that one of them won’t be 100% healthy until, say, midseason, that would mean they need a top-level guy, a high-profile free agent or a first- or second-round draft pick to supply additional pass-rushing punch. Think beyond Barrett, to perhaps the 2021 version of Phillips, the rookie who had 8 1/2 sacks.

If you listen to Fortson and Brooks, the optimistic view of the Chubb and Phillips return is realistic.

Let’s do the math.
Phillips, who had 6 1/2 sacks last season, is recovering from an Achilles tendon injury he sustained at the New York Jets on Nov. 24.
Chubb, who had 11 sacks last season, is recovering from an ACL injury he sustained at Baltimore on Dec. 31.
Here’s even better news.
Fortson said he wasn’t just fit to return to practice in a short amount of time, he said he was 100% healthy in a short amount of time.
“I tore my Achilles on Oct. 17 of 2021, and I was back on the field that February, so I kind of felt 100% by OTAs,” he said of the Organized Team Activities that occur in April and proceed through June minicamp.

At the same time, you don’t want to rush either Chubb or Phillips back. And that’s been the Dolphins’ trend with injuries, to give the players ample time. They had that lesson reinforced last season when they admittedly allowed center Connor Williams to return too early. He sustained a setback and had to miss more time.
So there’s sufficient evidence the Dolphins need to be conservative on these returns.
Forston doesn’t have any insight into Phillips’ injury or recovery. But he, such as Dolphins fans, is hoping for the best.
“It didn’t take that long. I was back running in 4 1/2 months. It didn’t really take that long.”

Everyone is different in how they heal. It is very possible these guys are ready to go earlier than expected

Sometimes it isn’t just the physical injury, but the mental one of having the confidence to push off on that Achilles and knee.

Let’s do the math.
Here’s even better news.

Thanks!

We will probably know what the Fins medical staff thinks by what we do in the draft and free agency

If we go after a few edge rushers then they are not as optimistic as this report

With the way they protect players I’d say week 6 to 8 for Phillips and week 10 to 12 for Chubb. But with medical advices over the years who now’s maybe both will be ready week one to four.
hopefully these guys are on every version possible of the healing juice in the offseason. stem cells, peptides, hyperbaric, and whatever else is legally available to these guys. hopefully following the aaron rodgers protocol, whatever he did to get himself healing much faster than everyone expected. the related question to when they are back is at what point are they back at full strength and as effective as they were before the injuries. and then how do the dolphins plan around this and cope with it in the interim. shaq barrett alone is not enough

Modern medicine and medical advice along with personal training staff monitoring these players all the time has shrunk timelines.
We will find out how accurate thus report is by the end of the draft.
Hopefully they come back strong and are ready week 1

Homers eating it up, dont cry if it doesnt come to fruition
And in the least surprising news of the day here at Finheaven, Dolphin fans get excited by word that 2 of their best defensive players are trending in the right direction, could possibly be ready for opening day and pissy fans immediately feel the need to rain on the parade and call people “homers” simply because they’re keeping a positive outlook on the subject.

How very sad and predictable…

Not to be a downer, but I never listen to this stuff. I mean look at Byron Jones, Ezukanma, and a slew of other players. Injury time tables are a crap shoot. I never get excited until I see them in a game.

Let’s do the math.
Here’s even better news.

Again, another post that just makes a lot of sense.

It's nice to see it is anchored to some actual events that demonstrate the plausibility of those guys being ready by the season opener.

If more time will actually be required, we are already in better shape at those positions, depth wise, than we were at the end of last season.

Back
Top Bottom