Pouncey backs Philbin | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pouncey backs Philbin

Sons Of Shula

not a dull boy
☠️ Banned ☠️
Club Member
Reaction score
[h=1]Mike Pouncey tired of Dolphins being ‘average,’ backs Philbin[/h]

With all the issues in the opener at Washington, one problem that hasn’t quite gotten so much attention was Miami’s inability to establish any kind of running attack. It went hand-in-hand with the inconsistent effort by the offense in general. Despite a roster that’s supposed to have plenty of weapons, the Dolphins stand 28th in the NFL in offense today and 24th in scoring offense.

“Very disappointing,” Pro Bowl center Mike Pouncey said. “Obviously we’ve had our sights on seeing our offense being explosive all off-season. For the most part we’ve seen that throughout the preseason. We felt like we let our offense down, we let our team down in the first half on Sunday. We did stuff that we weren’t usually doing in the preseason. We didn’t run the ball effectively enough and it put our team and our offense behind.”

Lamar Miller, who had 1,099 yards last season, continues to have a very light workload. He carried just 13 times for 53 yards (a 4.1 average) as Miami finished with 74 rushing yards, part of a day in which it had just 55 plays.

“It was very slow, one of those weird games where we were ended being on our 13thplay of the game, we were in a two-minute drive,” said Pouncey, whose Dolphins ran only five plays in the first quarter of the 17-10 win over Washington. “We’ve got to do a better job coming out running the football in the first half. We put ourselves in that situation where we had the defense on the field a lot. That’s something we are working to get better at throughout practices this week and we are looking forward to moving onto Jacksonville and playing good.”

Is this team mature enough to not figure 1-0 is 1-0 — that the performance in the opener was good enough?

“We know how last year played out,” Pouncey said. “We’re tired of being just an average football team. We know that it’s going to be very important to win games late in the season, but these games early in the season really count a lot. Our focus right now is just Week 2 against the Jacksonville Jaguars and going out there and playing to the best of our abilities.”

Pouncey also spoke up on behalf of coach Joe Philbin, who is thought to be on the hot seat if Miami doesn’t make the playoffs.

“I surely hope not,” Pouncey said. “I think Coach Philbin is a great coach, he’s done so much for me in my career and he’s stuck by my side in many different ways. I think he’s the right fit for this football team, he’s a players’ kind of guy and we just enjoy having him. I hope his fate doesn’t depend on whether we win or lose, but we’re looking forward to not even putting that fate in those hands, we want to make the playoffs this year and make him proud because he’s built a foundation down here where we’ve all become accustomed to and we enjoy. We look forward to keep improving.”

Full article here: Daily Dolphin Blog

I have this strange feeling like the Washington game was the 5th preseason game and I'm just waiting to see the Dolphins team we read so much about this offseason.

This teams definately headed in the right direction, alot of guys on the board dont like him cuz hes not a high energy acreaming on the sideline guy and i understand he has made his share of in game errors with timeouts and adjustments but i dont think hes a terrible coach. Lets hope we correct what needs to be corrected and come out fired up against jacksonville and play up to the expectations we and they had going into the season.

Pouncey probably wants Philbin to stay because he can get away with anything he wants to with Joe as head coach.

Yea because joe was very accepting of ocho cincos domestic dispute and vontae showing up late and hungover to practice and mike wallaces tantrum or whoever left a gum wrapper on the floor etc....

I loved what I read... great words, and you know the team is working to better and improve themselves from week 1 and for the whole future. Everyone from players, staff, fans, etc.. is aiming for playoffs and want it!!! i loved the article, the words, and backing each other up.

i really dont comprehend the negative words people started commenting right away after reading this article... really???

Talk is cheap. How often over the years have we heard players and coaches saying the same things yet seeing the same issues repeatedly on the field. I like that they admit that they should be playing better now lets seem them do it on the field. Start on Sunday by lighting up the Jags.

I loved what I read... great words, and you know the team is working to better and improve themselves from week 1 and for the whole future. Everyone from players, staff, fans, etc.. is aiming for playoffs and want it!!! i loved the article, the words, and backing each other up.

i really dont comprehend the negative words people started commenting right away after reading this article... really???

Criticism is easy and it's often the default tactic of the foolish.

and what is Pouncey getting away with?

if anything, it sounds like philbin has taught pouncey a lot about manning up. My guess is he gets away with nothing, because he's no longer doing any dumb **** that would require it.

Thanks for posting op good stuff.

I've always been a Philbin fan. Also , to the poster who said it's because he can get away with whatever he wants .... You clearly haven't kept a close eye on what's gone on down here . Philbin is NO NONSENE and only wants team guys .......

Just look at everyone who hasn't done and behaved how philbin expects them to .

All of the anti team , morons have been let go ASAP

This teams definately headed in the right direction, alot of guys on the board dont like him cuz hes not a high energy acreaming on the sideline guy

Personally speaking, I'd like to see him go for two reasons.. First, he doesnt seem to be a "LEADER"... he is one of those passive-aggressive guys, moping around saying WHY ME... Second reason is because I really question his football knowledge.. I've grown up watching some of the GREAT coaches... Landry, Madden, Walsh, Shula and etc.. Philbin doesnt even come close... So for my Miami Dolphin football team, I only want the best of the best and Philbin is not it..

Yea because joe was very accepting of ocho cincos domestic dispute and vontae showing up late and hungover to practice and mike wallaces tantrum or whoever left a gum wrapper on the floor etc....

OhnoyoudidntGIF-1.gif

GayMarriageinNewyork-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom