Pre season performance has no correlation to regular season performance | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pre season performance has no correlation to regular season performance

Nawledge

Scout Team
Reaction score
In fact, that's something we find in the NFL. Pre-season performance practically has no correlation with regular performance. There are of course famous examples (the 0-16 Lions went 4-0 in pre-season as did the 6-10 49ers in 2010) but I wanted to use this as a sort of tranquil moment for those who seem so quick to hit the panic button. This isn't to say there shouldn't be worries (it seems a fan's job is to always worry and expect the worst) but they really shouldn't be placed at pre-season games.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/8/...y-about-the-pre-season-a-statistical-analysis

You guys need to get a grip...preseason doesn't mean anything....it's basically practice and for evaluation. This article isn't very long but has some statistical breakdown with team records showing that what happens in preseason has little to no bearing on how the team performs come regular season.

How the team finishes (total wins/loses) is not the main topic of discussion. The performance of individual players is and that's evaluation.

How the team finishes (total wins/loses) is not the main topic of discussion. The performance of individual players is and that's evaluation.

It is to some people here...talking about not scoring enough points. You got players on the field who won't even be on the team week 1. How are you going to judge scoring points when the starting qb plays 2 drives with 3 of his starting receivers sidelined and a vanilla version of the playbook?

Preseason means absolutely nothing.

It is to some people here...talking about not scoring enough points. You got players on the field who won't even be on the team week 1. How are you going to judge scoring points when the starting qb plays 2 drives with 3 of his starting receivers sidelined and a vanilla version of the playbook?

We're talking about a QB playing like **** despite a productive running game and good pass protection. It's not the end of the world, but it's a concern.

Yeah you would have noticed Rizzi was absolutely incensed with the blocked punt which is the proper reaction, even though the result of the play could not have been better for us. Sparano would have been running around fist pumping that like he just won the SB.

We're talking about a QB playing like **** despite a productive running game and good pass protection. It's not the end of the world, but it's a concern.

In one game...Tannehill looked fine in the first 2 games (didn't watch last night's game yet I got the replay set to record tonight)...but also from the tweets of practice Tannehill seems to be fine even getting praise from omar. Some of you guys expect Tannehill to be flawless, even the best qbs in the league make some bad decisions and throws.

The QB not playing well is not meaningless. Especially when we are seeing inconsistency which is a trend with him.

Last year the OL was bad and served as a built in excuse. Last night the protection was good but the trend continued. That is a legitimate concern.

In one game...Tannehill looked fine in the first 2 games (didn't watch last night's game yet I got the replay set to record tonight)...but also from the tweets of practice Tannehill seems to be fine even getting praise from omar. Some of you guys expect Tannehill to be flawless, even the best qbs in the league make some bad decisions and throws.
So you haven't seen it but feel the need to interject your thoughts? And you base it on practice tweets?

He was okay in the Tampa game. Nothing more.

I honestly believe that you can make meaningful evaluations of players and team talent during the preseason. I believe this is specifically true of the dress rehearsal game -- and NFL coaches agree with me!

Ryan Tannehill made poor decisions last night and did not look good. Now, I am a booster of the QB and I think he's an asset to the team, but am I concerned that he hasn't fully picked up the offense yet? Yes. Am I concerned that maybe he is being asked to re-learn how to do a lot of things right now and, as a result, is going to go through some growing pains that should be behind him? Yes.

My hope, and in fact my expectation, is that Ryan Tannehill will be better this season than last season. And I think that means he will be a pretty good quarterback. But I'm still concerned based on several mistakes he made last night that quite frankly, he shouldn't be making.

This same thread pops up every preseason, and while W/L don't matter in preseason, every year for the last 6-7 seasons this team has struggled to score TDs in the preseason which has then directly correlated to an inability to score TDs in the regular season. This, in a nutshell is why this team never makes the playoffs.

That said, personally I HOPE yesterday's game from the first team offense was an aberration, as they played very little in the previous games. This is the first game where we got any extensive action, and quite frankly if they play like that in the regular season then 6-10 looks to be a very reasonable outcome.

So you haven't seen it but feel the need to interject your thoughts? And you base it on practice tweets?

He was okay in the Tampa game. Nothing more.

I've seen the other 2 games....I'm not gonna base our season off preseason at all let alone ONE ****ing game.

This same thread pops up every preseason, and while W/L don't matter in preseason, every year for the last 6-7 seasons this team has struggled to score TDs in the preseason which has then directly correlated to an inability to score TDs in the regular season. This, in a nutshell is why this team never makes the playoffs.

That said, personally I HOPE yesterday's game from the first team offense was an aberration, as they played very in the previous games. This is the first game where we got any extensive action, and quite frankly if they play like that in the regular season then 6-10 looks to be a very reasonable outcome.

That's a good point but we have been moving the ball fairly well, look, people have every right to be concerned but I wouldn't start bugging out and losing sleep over preseason games. I mean the first 2 games the first team offense played maybe 2 or 3 series. Backups played most of the time in those games. I can't say much about last night's cuz I didn't get to watch it yet but I'm not gonna be worried by 2 bad throws.

That's a good point but we have been moving the ball fairly well, look, people have every right to be concerned but I wouldn't start bugging out and losing sleep over preseason games. I mean the first 2 games the first team offense played maybe 2 or 3 series. Backups played most of the time in those games. I can't say much about last night's cuz I didn't get to watch it yet but I'm not gonna be worried by 2 bad throws.

I agree with that, I'm not going to give up on the season based on one bad performance. Just saying that preseason isn't completely meaningless, hopefully the coaches realize where the team is at and have a plan to improve prior to the game vs the Pats because I can guarantee they'll be ready.

The Oline was superb last night.

Jason fox. uh no.

I've seen the other 2 games....I'm not gonna base our season off preseason at all let alone ONE ****ing game.
Neither am I. Watch the game and keep an open mind about the totality of his play since his first game. We can talk after.

Back
Top Bottom