Pre season performance has no correlation to regular season performance | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pre season performance has no correlation to regular season performance

I agree with that, I'm not going to give up on the season based on one bad performance. Just saying that preseason isn't completely meaningless, hopefully the coaches realize where the team is at and have a plan to improve prior to the game vs the Pats because I can guarantee they'll be ready.

I'm fairly convinced the offense we see from the Dolphins against the Pats will be something we don't recognize from this team. Lazor' gonna be on the attack.

I agree with that, I'm not going to give up on the season based on one bad performance. Just saying that preseason isn't completely meaningless, hopefully the coaches realize where the team is at and have a plan to improve prior to the game vs the Pats because I can guarantee they'll be ready.

you saying it was all bad? cus thats what your implying.

This same thread pops up every preseason, and while W/L don't matter in preseason, every year for the last 6-7 seasons this team has struggled to score TDs in the preseason which has then directly correlated to an inability to score TDs in the regular season. This, in a nutshell is why this team never makes the playoffs.

That said, personally I HOPE yesterday's game from the first team offense was an aberration, as they played very little in the previous games. This is the first game where we got any extensive action, and quite frankly if they play like that in the regular season then 6-10 looks to be a very reasonable outcome.

I wouldn't go that far. We still won the game because as inconsistent as our offense can be our defense is the pillar of consistency.

Neither am I. Watch the game and keep an open mind about the totality of his play since his first game. We can talk after.

Will do...I'm just saying, watching the first 2 games I thought Tannehill looked fine, he was accurate...got the ball out pretty quick, we were moving the chains. Based on the way some of you guys are acting tho I'm expecting to see Tannehill go 1/20 with 5ints

Lazor's gameplan to me centered around getting the starters in and get them some rock based off their basic route tree.

No Gibson, No Matthews, No Landry. In Fact, Landry came in motion out of the FB spot. Sure looks like he was setting up BS tape for other teams. That WR motioning way behind the QB is for the birds. RT forced that ball into Hartline because he blandly was going where no man would in a regular game.

you saying it was all bad? cus thats what your implying.

Offensively...YES - actually I take that back, Moreno showed some hard running that this team has been lacking for a while. But first team offense didn't accomplish anything as far as putting points/TDs on the board. I like the offense in the sense that it doesn't resemble Sherman's offense, but the net result is still the same, at least it was last night in the only game where the first team offense played a full half. That is what concerns me.

I should also add that the oline looked to be improved, at least they were against the Cowboys although they will face much stiffer competition once the games start counting.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is to some people here...talking about not scoring enough points. You got players on the field who won't even be on the team week 1. How are you going to judge scoring points when the starting qb plays 2 drives with 3 of his starting receivers sidelined and a vanilla version of the playbook?

Preseason means absolutely nothing.

Wins and losses mean nothing in the preseason. Any other aspect of the game may have significant meaning.

Score - Meaningless
Stats - Meaningless
Individual performances - VERY MEANINFUL

Just ask Dallas Thomas...Or, do you think after the first game he was say, "but coach, its only preseason"...

Score - Meaningless
Stats - Meaningless
Individual performances - VERY MEANINFUL

Just ask Dallas Thomas...Or, do you think after the first game he was say, "but coach, its only preseason"...

First, I agree that individual performances are very meaningful. I just believe that meaningless is too strong of a statement for score and stats.

First, I agree that individual performances are very meaningful. I just believe that meaningless is too strong of a statement for score and stats.

No really. If you have one player...just one...that absolutely should not be there...it can bring the whole unit down. Case in point...Dallas Thomas. He held back an entire unit and affected the score and stats. But, that did not mean I couldn't evaluate Colledge at the same time.

I think once the regular season begins we'll see more play action, motion, up tempo, and decisive downfield darts off the play action.

But until it happens we're just guessing. That's what shouright pointed out so often here. His terrific phrase was, "How do you know?" It was absolutely proper, and light years more valid than any of the fanciful adjustments, the ones that matter of factly assert that since our offensive line is poor then our quarterback is actually a great player being unfairly held back. When I bet something based on a situational or statistical trend there are hundreds if not many thousands in the sample size that revealed the trend. That's how I know. Shouright's background and profession enable him to understand the value of, "How do you know?" He uses it to help people held back by irrational fear. Somehow on this forum his contributions were ridiculed, including by otherwise sharp posters. In the 9+ years I've been a member of this site it's easily the most ridiculous and pathetic situation I've seen.

Shouright was new to statistical analysis but had already made some interesting contributions, specifically to merge and weigh various categories. As I mentioned at the time, several of my gambling friends were so impressed with one of shouright's threads that they took the link and tinkered with the numbers, aiming for further clarity. These are arrogant guys who normally scoff and dismiss anything that isn't their own invention or sourced from myself or other members of the fraternity.

Some things matter, like Tannehill still cannot connect with Wallace deep.

Offensively...YES - actually I take that back, Moreno showed some hard running that this team has been lacking for a while. But first team offense didn't accomplish anything as far as putting points/TDs on the board. I like the offense in the sense that it doesn't resemble Sherman's offense, but the net result is still the same, at least it was last night in the only game where the first team offense played a full half. That is what concerns me.

I should also add that the oline looked to be improved, at least they were against the Cowboys although they will face much stiffer competition once the games start counting.

so this means your original statement is incorrect. Based on your own assesment.

The Oline was phenomenal minus a couple holding calls (OMG, there are holding calls every game for both teams), a Satele lapse of centering the ball, Fox sucking and Dallas being Dallas for a set or two. Other than that, they were damn hot! Yeah its Dallas. Lets take it and move on knowing we have our 5 guys.

Mareno is everything we have been looking for for the last what? ricky william years? Yeah, there is alot to be thankful for here. It just amazes me how all offseason the bitch about this and that and suddenly that is on the upswing and everyone just ignores it and goes for the next negative. Thats how it works around here. Whackamo.

We hear this babble every year after the so called dress rehearsal game and it rarely is a shape of things to come.
How many times in the last few years have people lauded this team based on our so called first string versus other teams and we still have been the same non winning team.
Lets wait for some real games to be concerned

In one game...Tannehill looked fine in the first 2 games (didn't watch last night's game yet I got the replay set to record tonight)...but also from the tweets of practice Tannehill seems to be fine even getting praise from omar. Some of you guys expect Tannehill to be flawless, even the best qbs in the league make some bad decisions and throws.

Careful with the words there. Tanny had a total of 20 attempts in limited action vs. the Falcons and Bucs. He had 21 alone in the dress rehearsal game vs. arguably the league's worst defense.

Flawless isn't the word I'd use to describe what I'd like to see out of the guy, more like consistency.

Back
Top Bottom