Pre-Season Position Group Battles: Running Backs | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pre-Season Position Group Battles: Running Backs

*IF* he is near what fans hope, I agree his pass pro will get hm snaps. I don't know how many of Ingold's snaps were in pass pro, but it seemed like a lot.

It would be interesting to see what effect that would have on Ingold's roll as the Dolphins FB.

If we added another RB with good blocking ability, would we use them in conjunction with Ingold's last year's FB duties, or would we find Ingold doing some other FB functions like a receiver. or even in delayed handoff plays at the goal line, just to keep the opponents defense's guessing?

If Brooks doesn't secure the 4th rb roster job on the 53 man roster, I think it opens the door for a number of possibilities.

One option would be to keep Jeff Wilson in the role, he's more than capable.

Another option would be to only go with 3 rbs on the 53 man roster and then carry a couple on the practice squad.

The 3rd option would be to fill the role with someone currently on another roster. I think Samaje Perine would be a very good fit. He's tough short yardage runner that can all handle the 3rd down back requirement. Good in pass protection and a good reciever for a 235 pound back. I think Perine could lose his roster spot in Denver with Javonte Williams and Audric Estime on their depth chart.

Last edited:
If Brooks doesn't secure the 4th rb roster job on the 53 man roster, I think it opens the door for a number of possibilities.

One option would be to keep Jeff Wilson in the role, he's more than capable.

Another option would be to only go with 3 rbs on the 53 man roster and then carry a couple on the practice squad.

The 3rd option would be to fill the role with someone currently on another roster. I think Samaje Perine would be a very good fit. He's tough short yardage runner that can all handle the 3rd down back requirement. Good in pass protection and a good reciever for a 235 pound back.
Trade Wilson and keep Brooks.
Sounds good to me. - LOL

I think McDaniel is going to go with the younger players at the RB position. Wright was obviously targeted. Achane, Wright, Brooks and Mostert are a good all around group. I think Wilson and Ahmed are the the odd men out. It's also possible, this is Mostert's, last season in Miami.

With a stacked RB class in the 2025 draft, it wouldn't surprise me if Miami selects another one on day 3, next April. Getting younger at some positions where Miami can save money to help offset some of these bigger contracts; that are on the horizon seems doable. With the RB position appearing to be an area Miami is looking at

Great write-up, the thing with Brooks is he looked very NFL ready in pre-season and quite capable in his limited snaps during the year. Most backs can tell you in a short time if they are not anything special, someone like Kalen Ballage, who ended up with less yards for the Dolphins than Tua currently has, showed nothing in his time here.

Good write up Fever.
Seems most are divided between Brooks and Wilson regards 4th back.
Yes the best player wins but the question I ask is who would most likely to be picked up by another team before we could place them on PS?
If they want to try to keep both would it come into play?

I could swear a staple of the Shanahan scheme is to have the TE's learn the duties of a FB.

IIRC, the niners have a TE line up in the backfield when employing the 12 personnel.

Just need the right guy to do it. 49ers have a true FB, but he's also an excellent athlete and really good all-around player, who happens to be built more like a FB than a TE. They already have more weapons than they know what to do with (when healthy), so his touches are limited, but he's a legitimate threat as a receiver.

Ingold really isn't. Smythe really isn't.

But, I think as long as the TE isn't too tall (Smith and Hill aren't), and they want to do it - meet a LB in a gap - there's nothing preventing them from executing as well as or better than Ingold as a blocker, and they're much more dangerous as receivers - even though Hill isn't all that dangerous imo. He's still an upgrade in speed and athleticism to Ingold and Smythe.

I could swear a staple of the Shanahan scheme is to have the TE's learn the duties of a FB.

IIRC, the niners have a TE line up in the backfield when employing the 12 personnel.
I thought we could only play eleven guys at one time. - LOL
Spk Engrish? - LOL

You see a bigger role for Wright than I do. Assuming Achane and Mostert are healthy, I think they each get 12-14 touches per game, with about 5 for Wright. The point you make about pass protection is true, but we don’t use our backs for pass protection, so I don’t think that buys him all that many snaps. In 855 combined snaps last season, Mostert and Achane were only used in pass protection 34 times (combined) all season. It just isn’t a feature of this quick hitter offense.

Now a team’s top two RBs never stay healthy all season, so I’m sure Wright will get his chances at a bigger role. But at least at the outset, I think he won’t be much more than a change of pace back.

I agree that Wilson is probably top dog for the fourth RB spot, mainly because he’s reliable. For a fourth stringer, someone who’ll know his assignments and run hard is good enough for me. He won’t be active on game days unless we have injuries at the position.

Brooks makes sense to keep around on the practice squad. If he gets claimed, he gets claimed—nothing super special about him. I could see him turning into a solid backup, but I have no idea why people on here love him so much.

I wouldn’t even use a practice squad spot on Ahmed.

Overall this RB room is incredible.
I agree that Wright likely won’t get as much playing time as many posters think he will. Unless Achane or Mostert are injured and miss games, I believe they will be the primary RB’s.

I also think Wilson will play before Wright during the regular season unless Wright shows early that he can be relied on in the running and passing game, including blocking for Tua.

I think Wright can eventually become a very good RB for the Dolphins but I think they will rely more on their veteran RB’s during the 2024 season.

I agree that Wright likely won’t get as much playing time as many posters think he will. Unless Achane or Mostert are injured and miss games, I believe they will be the primary RB’s.

I also think Wilson will play before Wright during the regular season unless Wright shows early that he can be relied on in the running and passing game, including blocking for Tua.

I think Wright can eventually become a very good RB for the Dolphins but I think they will rely more on their veteran RB’s during the 2024 season.
Anything is possible.

You got it right in saying it really depends on what he shows the coaches.

McD has always said if a player works hard and practices well, he will get opportunities.

I agree that he won't be the primary, but I can see McD having him in specific packages. Doing a few things at an excellent level, rather than many at an average level may be his ticket to snaps as a rookie.

It's really up to him.

My biggest concern with Wright is the fumble issue he had in college. While he appeared to have fixed the problem last season, he had several fumbles earlier in his career at Tennessee. If he can avoid the fumble issues he had early in his college years, I think he has the speed and size to become a valuable RB for the Dolphins in the future.

Back
Top Bottom