Prediction: Miami Trades Back | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Prediction: Miami Trades Back

JahnDho

Active Roster
Reaction score
If Miami finds trade partners during the draft, and history says they should, then they need to take advantage of every trade back situation in the 1st round. At 1.13, the chart says they should be able to get the 1.23 and 2.54 picks from Houston (who also has the 55th). Indy owns the 2.34 and 2.59. With a similar combined score of 800, those 2 picks are worth the 1.23. With another trade of the 2.34, they could acquire the 2.61 and 2.63 from KC; who just might be looking to move up for one of the big named WRs.

That would net Miami the 2.54, 2.59, 2.61 and 2.63 from the 1.13. If Haskins or Murray are there at 1.13 then Fins could be sitting even better. Not saying these players are or aren’t comparable, but KC moved up to select Mahomes and gave up their 1.27 a 3rd and their following years 1st.

If Fins are truly tanking, then acquiring 4 2nds would add a ton of pieces that won’t cost them much against the cap. Players they can groom to be long term foundational pieces that may perform at a high level.

Hardest thing to predict in the draft is a trade.

I also believe having a pick between 11-32 is vital because you get the 5th year option, which can come at a decent number because it averages the 3rd to 25th highest salaries at the position (Unlike a top 10 pick that averages the top 10 salaries).

I think 13 is a good spot.

I want the chance to draft a Derwin James or a Marcus Davenport or a Tremaine Edmunds or even Laremy Tunsil. . . . .it becomes super difficult to grab those type of talents at pick 54.

Or 4 from this list

Attachments

• AD7A2A73-71C8-455A-BF40-EA2DE5AA7475.png
    AD7A2A73-71C8-455A-BF40-EA2DE5AA7475.png
    228.7 KB · Views: 19
Hardest thing to predict in the draft is a trade.

I also believe having a pick between 11-32 is vital because you get the 5th year option, which can come at a decent number because it averages the 3rd to 25th highest salaries at the position (Unlike a top 10 pick that averages the top 10 salaries).

I think 13 is a good spot.

I want the chance to draft a Derwin James or a Marcus Davenport or a Tremaine Edmunds or even Laremy Tunsil. . . . .it becomes super difficult to grab those type of talents at pick 54.

Yeah, no way I'd move out of RD1, but if Haskins fell, and a team around 20 wanted to move up for him, I would make that deal and draft Lindstrom or McCoy - with the #1 pick and Tua as my primary objective.

Worth noting that the 2020 WR class has potential to be the best since 2014, and a terrific option could be there at 33. If you solidify the OL in 2019 - or much of it - it gives you freedom to take advantage of that scenario.

If available, Taylor will be high on Miami's list at 13, I'd think. But, I'd rather have the opportunity to draft Lindstrom and McCoy, which a trade-down could facilitate, than just Taylor.

I think Miami would love to trade down and get more picks. Could happen.

I do think if Haskins or maybe even Lock are available the Dolphins would draft one.

Yeah, no way I'd move out of RD1, but if Haskins fell, and a team around 20 wanted to move up for him, I would make that deal and draft Lindstrom or McCoy - with the #1 pick and Tua as my primary objective.

Worth noting that the 2020 WR class has potential to be the best since 2014, and a terrific option could be there at 33. If you solidify the OL in 2019 - or much of it - it gives you freedom to take advantage of that scenario.

If available, Taylor will be high on Miami's list at 13, I'd think. But, I'd rather have the opportunity to draft Lindstrom and McCoy, which a trade-down could facilitate, than just Taylor.

I'd have all the options on the table.

Miami are about to head into this year with the most ridiculously low cash payroll I have perhaps ever seen.

Trade down and get Jeffery Simmons plus extra picks this year and/or next year, that would be solid gold.

I don't even particularly care if they trade down multiple times, out of the 1st round altogether. Why not? You're not going to get Ed Oliver at 13 overall.

Why not add multiple OLs like Chris Lindstrom, Erik McCoy, Chuma Edoga, Beau Benzschawel, Josh Miles, Nick Allegretti, Dru Samia, Ben Powers, and Lamont Gaillard.

Could also pick up some bigger DL presences like Dexter Lawrence, Charles Omenihu, Khalen Saunders, Greg Gaines, or Byron Cowart.

Or some edge guys like Chase Winovich, Christian Miller, Zach Allen, Anthony Nelson,Porter Gustin, Jordan Brailford, Jamel Garcia-Williams.

You've got versatile linebackers like Justin Hollins, Andrew Van Ginkel, Tre Lamar, Cody Barton, and Jahlani Tavai.

And who would say no to mid round corners like Trayvon Mullen (well, I guess Slimm would), Isaiah Johnson, or Rock Ya-Sin.

I know that I would still love to add safeties like Juan Thornhill, Johnathan Abram, Nassir Adderley, Deionte Thompson, Taylor Rapp, Ugo Amadi, or Malik Gant.

I guess the point I'm making is you've got a completely new program on both sides of the ball, a stripped-down roster, no chance at Kyler Murray, and probably no chance at the elites up top. So play the numbers game. Fill a BUNCH of spots with "your" kind of guys.

I'd have all the options on the table...

...I guess the point I'm making is you've got a completely new program on both sides of the ball, a stripped-down roster, no chance at Kyler Murray, and probably no chance at the elites up top. So play the numbers game. Fill a BUNCH of spots with "your" kind of guys.

I like your post, because I agree with it, but it’s the point I’m making....you’re just reinforcing it. Thanks though!

I'm a Fanspeak regular and the trade I see presented to us the most is Indy giving their 1st (26) and a 2nd (2). I'll refresh the page until I get it.

I take Lindstrom and Lawrence...like clock work everytime, followed by either Omenihu or Winovich with our 2nd.

All that to say, if Indy were to present that scenario, I hope we would take it. I don't want another pick, somebody else might be willing to take less and we get squadooch.

Any trade back would be dependant on us deciding that the player(s) available at 13 aren't worth more than players potentially available late in the first round or in the second round.

Potentially we could have players like Jonah Williams (OT, Alabama) or Cody Ford (G, Oklahoma) available when we are on the clock. OL is not an exciting selection, but if the team gets the right guy they can be an anchor on the OL for the next decade. Look at recent selections like Zack Martin and Quenton Nelson, both came in and played an all pro level at guard as rookies. We've seen tackles come in and make an impact as well. In our current situation we have Tunsil at left tackle but we could use help everywhere else on the OL. Passing on Williams would be very difficult.

We could even have our pick out of some top notch defensive prospects like Ed Oliver (DT, Houston), Rashan Gary (DL, Michigan), Devin White (LB, LSU), Devin Bush (LB, Michigan), Greedy Williams (CB, LSU), Christian Wilikins (DT, Clemson), and Brian Burns (EDGE, Florida State). We clearly need help on the edge and Burns has the athleticism and skill set to become a really good player in the NFL. Likewise Ed Oliver has the athleticism and skill set to be a really good player in the NFL despite being slightly undersized. Our linebackers would immediately be upgraded with the addition of White or Bush, and Greedy Williams would be an excellent player to pair with Xavien Howard. So defensively we have options as well.

So what we would need to do then is say to ourselves would we be happy passing on one of those talents to pick late in the first round and sometime in the second round? Who could we potentially get at those points?

Let's say we do a deal with the Colts because they want to move up to get Jonah Williams, and in return for this we get their first and second round picks. With the 26th pick we might be able to draft an OL prospect like Dalton Risner or Garrett Bradbury (C, NC State) late in the first round, or defensively we could be looking at Dexter Lawrence (DT, Clemson), Jerry Tilly (DT, Notre Dame), DeAndre Baker (CB, Georgia), or Jachai Polite (OLB, Florida). With the other pick in the second round we would likely be looking at prospects like Julian Love (CB, Notre Dame), Chase Winovich (DE, Michigan), Te'Von Coney (LB, Notre Dame), Mack Wilson (LB, Alabama), or Vosean Joseph (LB, Florida).

There's a decent amount of talent potentially available at those two spots, but it's a case of whether we value two good prospects over one potentially really good prospect. If given the choice, I think I'd stick at 13 and draft someone like Jonah Williams to be a building block on our OL, or grab Brian Burns to be that play making EDGE that we direly need. But I guess I could understand us trading back and grabbing two decent prospects like Dexter Lawrence and Mack Wilson, but it's not my preferred option.

I hope Miami trades back for the best deal they can get unless there is a special player available at 13. Who are the players that are “too good” to accept a trade back?

For example, if Haskins was available at 13 I would hate to see the Fins trade back. He’s too good. Is Ed Oliver too good? Byron Murphy? Jonah Williams?

Just curious how long that list would be.

I like your post, because I agree with it, but it’s the point I’m making....you’re just reinforcing it. Thanks though!

Well, it is a point that has been made on this forum tons of time (trading back and grabbing extra picks to fill more needs with guys that fit the new system). You know what I'm going to claim it as I said it way before Wednesday. So that you for agreeing with my point, but it is the one I am making. Next time try to come up with an original idea before stealing another's person theory on what a football team should so on draft day.

Also, I believe J-off may have said it before me and silverfin may have said it as well.

****, who owns this idea?

Are we all getting ourselves set up for a let down? I want to have a great O-line as much as everyone else on this board and I'm sure the coaching staff wants a great O-line too but.......when those players are drafted by our FO/HC might not be as high as some people here are wanting them to be.
We keep hearing about the pats way and how they do things and of course Flores along with 3 other coaches come from NE and Grier started there too. When it comes to O-line the pats don't draft them high very often. Yes they have but most of their starting O-line are mid to late round picks in a year to year basis so, will Flores do the same and go for O-line like in round 3 and after? Or will he do it different in Miami and start drafting O-line early?

I'm not advocating one way or the other at this point and I am NOT saying anyone here is wrong for wanting to draft O-line in the 1st or 2nd round. I am saying however that I'm not expecting it to happen. We need O-line help but we also need D-line help and I'm expecting we draft both but if I had to bet(I'm not a gambler) I'd say we'll draft D-line before we draft O-line. TBH we need two new starting DE unless we want to start Harris and Woodard(who I like)........or if we're planning on playing Taylor and/or Godchaux and End then we'd need help at DT. Either way I believe that even if we trade back we will go D-line first and of course I could be wrong but that's the way I see it now.

As far as trading all the way our of the first round, terrible idea imo. As it's been said above, you want to have the 5 years with that rookie contract instead of just 4. It can make a huge difference.

Well, it is a point that has been made on this forum tons of time (trading back and grabbing extra picks to fill more needs with guys that fit the new system). You know what I'm going to claim it as I said it way before Wednesday. So that you for agreeing with my point, but it is the one I am making. Next time try to come up with an original idea before stealing another's person theory on what a football team should so on draft day.

Also, I believe J-off may have said it before me and silverfin may have said it as well.

****, who owns this idea?

Where’s the thread just like this one?

The easy answer is that it depends who is there at #13. I do like that the front office is stockpiling draft picks for 2020. Don't discount that those could be used in 2019 if Miami wants to move up for a quarterback. I hate the idea of missing on elite talent too so I would hate moving back if that's what it meant. Kind of like when the Dolphins took Odrick and Misi, but in doing so missed out on Earl Thomas.

I agree with another poster that all options are on the table. The team is building so getting more picks does make a lot of sense.

Are we all getting ourselves set up for a let down? I want to have a great O-line as much as everyone else on this board and I'm sure the coaching staff wants a great O-line too but.......when those players are drafted by our FO/HC might not be as high as some people here are wanting them to be.
We keep hearing about the pats way and how they do things and of course Flores along with 3 other coaches come from NE and Grier started there too. When it comes to O-line the pats don't draft them high very often. Yes they have but most of their starting O-line are mid to late round picks in a year to year basis so, will Flores do the same and go for O-line like in round 3 and after? Or will he do it different in Miami and start drafting O-line early?

I'm not advocating one way or the other at this point and I am NOT saying anyone here is wrong for wanting to draft O-line in the 1st or 2nd round. I am saying however that I'm not expecting it to happen. We need O-line help but we also need D-line help and I'm expecting we draft both but if I had to bet(I'm not a gambler) I'd say we'll draft D-line before we draft O-line. TBH we need two new starting DE unless we want to start Harris and Woodard(who I like)........or if we're planning on playing Taylor and/or Godchaux and End then we'd need help at DT. Either way I believe that even if we trade back we will go D-line first and of course I could be wrong but that's the way I see it now.

As far as trading all the way our of the first round, terrible idea imo. As it's been said above, you want to have the 5 years with that rookie contract instead of just 4. It can make a huge difference.

I’m a big advocate of restructuring year 3 or 4 when you know what you have in a player. It sends a message to players currently in as well as FAs outside the organization that Miami takes care of their players for doing the right thing. Pay, production and culture should enter twine so that it motivates players to be leaders, team players and productive on and off the field.

Back
Top Bottom