Preseason Playing Time | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Preseason Playing Time

I suspect it will be equal time for Fitzpatrick and Rosen as the Dolphins have made it pretty clear those two are competing for the starting job.

If it continues to play out the way it did in preseason and Fitzpatrick clearly is the better options at some point he will get the snaps unless there really not letting the best player play and are more concerned about a draft pick in 2020.

It won't matter who the QB is if the coaching and scheme sucks like it has for awhile... whoever stands behind center needs a team in front of him and coaches flexible enough to make changes on the fly...That said I hope Rosen lives up to his billing and we can move forward addressing needs on the team that help him shine... We need to have a solid starter at QB not a stop gap
That’s more playing time than I had thought

I suspect it will be equal time for Fitzpatrick and Rosen as the Dolphins have made it pretty clear those two are competing for the starting job.
I can’t see it being equal snaps. In preseason game one I can see fitz playing 2 series and Rosen would play till 4th quarer.

That’s more playing time than I had thought

Lol... My summation agreed with you about playing time...if not, I think he SHOULD get most of the snaps with the first team... I want him to be the answer so the team can focus on everything else without the question at QB

How much?... who knows ?...if he comes out sharp he may only need the first few drives because there's no need to keep him out there if he gets it.... by the third game my hope is he starts and finishes the third qtr.

I think Fitz maybe better today but I hope Rosen is starting qb. Fitz will suck by week 5. That mean we waste 2nd rd pick on qb and we need find qb

I can’t see it being equal snaps. In preseason game one I can see fitz playing 2 series and Rosen would play till 4th quarer.

If they do that, then in game two they're going to turn around and give Ryan Fitzpatrick the majority of the drives. Bank on it.

A quarterback competition between two players carries a generally accepted methodology for sussing that all out during the preseason.

Some of it depends on what the two have already shown during spring ball (where Fitzpatrick dominated). Some of it depends on what they do during the first two weeks of training camp (there's a scrimmage that will matter). Some of it will depend on what happens during the first two games of preseason.

But it starts with almost certainly splitting the time equally during the first two games of preseason. They could try and do that during both games (rotate series). They could have one guy take the bulk of snaps in one game and the other guy get the bulk of snaps in the other game. Either way they will be trying to get both players in front of good defenses for a somewhat equal share of the action as part of the evaluation.

Sometimes they would like to have a feeling about what's happening that way before the third game. That doesn't mean they'll announce anything, or tell anybody. But if that's the case, the third preseason game is where you could start to see imbalance. That could be giving Ryan Fitzpatrick the bulk of snaps because he's the starter and you want to get the offense rolling. That would typically be the case when you actually care about winning in the current year. Or they could decide that the competition is so fierce they need to continue with the equal-opportunity approach in that third preseason game.

But I suppose there's the possibility, if they don't really care about winning in 2019, that they would make it clear they consider Fitzpatrick to be the starter, and then give Josh Rosen the bulk of those third game snaps against first string defenses as an opportunity for development. There could be some negatives associated with the signaling of a move like that, though. That's when you'll see Brian Flores grousing about the media's "tank" talk, even though it will be Flores himself that would be signaling it.

The snaps in the fourth game would be dominated by the loser of the competition for the above reasons, development, and to keep the starter healthy.

Thursday, July 25th, that'll be Miami's first training camp practice.

There will be 8 days of those practices, followed by the scrimmage at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, August 3rd.

Those 9 days will be pretty critical to the evaluation. I think they will absolutely try and split time as equally as they can during the August 3rd scrimmage. And on the 10th day, which the players have off, the coaches may start to have an idea where this QB competition is heading.

Nonetheless I suspect when they go back to work Monday and Tuesday, then have a Wednesday walk-thru before the first preseason game on Thursday, August 8th...they'll remain committed to equal competition, though the realities of how few drives the opposing team's first stringers generally play in game one make it such that you often have to have one player take the start and those first string drives. Then they'll pack up and head to Tampa for a week of joint practices with the Buccaneers, followed by a Friday, August 16th game against the Bucs, and I suspect that week and that game the focus will be on the other guy getting those first string drives and experience.

After that is when most coaches would like to make the decision. But often the coaches still feel like they're not there. Maybe the underdog has made a late surge, which makes then pause and think, see if he can continue the momentum, maybe the light has clicked on. Something like that. I suspect Brian Flores will feel like we've got the answer by then (Ryan Fitzpatrick), but that Chad O'Shea will be hanging on about Josh Rosen.

So that third game against the Jags could be interesting.

Personally, I want to see how much 12 and 21 personnel groups are used. How much and how well the FB does.

Also how many fans show up dressed in birthday cake costumes......

If they do that, then in game two they're going to turn around and give Ryan Fitzpatrick the majority of the drives. Bank on it.
Didn’t turn out the way you thought. More they way I seen it unfolding. Rosen has played more than fitz up to this point

Back
Top Bottom