Pretenders contenders in NHL playofffs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Pretenders contenders in NHL playofffs

dominizzo

CAMERON EARTH WAKE
Reaction score
well guys seriousl im a big flyer fan but i dont see them going far but on the other hand The Sharks look scary can they go all the way??

i say that Detroit can go to finals if osgood and legace play well if not i see 1st rd exit. are the sens gonna choke or will gerber crack under pressure\!!! Will the habs spoil a contender Will broduer win crucial games? id like to know who will go far in post season im doing a hockey pool and id like 1 team from the east and west who u will think will meeet?

Thoughts?

personally....im sticking with my western conference pick from before teh season with SJ...the addition of thornton only makes me more confident...the east is a little more tricky...ottawa,carolina,nj,ny,philly all have legitimate chances to make it. but im gonna go with Ottawa

then SJ over Ottawa

I am also a Flyers fan and I have been waiting since 1975 for another Stanley Cup....almost as long as waiting for the Fins to win another SB. :boohoo: The Flyers seem to always get their best guys hurt.....hopefully Forsberg can step it up. I would love to see the Flyers and the Avs as I could see them play at the Pepsi Center in Denver. :tongue:

Detriot- Just too strong of a team, I could see Anahiem pulling off an upset though.

Buffalo- Beating Ottawa twice showed that the Sabres can contend, I just have a feeling that an unlikely hero will make it.

Ottawa is the best team in the league, IMO and I think they'll go to the finals. In the West it is tough but i'll take Detroit. I'm a Sabres fan and I really think they are the only team in the East that can beat Ottawa, and they'll play them in the 2nd rd but Ottawa is too strong.

East Contenders:

Sens: They can score with anyone and they are getting healthy. There defense can match-up and they have the grit they have lacked in previous years.

The questionmark is Dom Hasek...and that is a big question. How healthy is he and can he hold up to two months of playing every other night? Ray Emery has been good in relief but the playoffs are a whole new ballgame for a goaltender.

Rangers: With the goaltending they have ( I know Lundqvist is a rookie) and Jagr they have the horses to get them places.

The question I have is will they continue to get secondary scoring when the checking tightens up in the playoffs? Will they be able to hold up physically?

Devils: Martin Brodeur is the best player in the World right now. He's done it before and he could do it again. They could win a series or two scoring 2 goals a game because Marty is ON his game.

Their questions are numerous but they have the ultimate playoff answer...great goaltending.

Buffalo: I just have a feeling about them for some reason. They have proved the doubters wrong all year. They roll their lines all night and get scoring from everyone. Ryan Miller is a GREAT young goalie.

The issue I have with them is what will happen when the physical play really picks up? They are a smallish, fast team that could get worn down in a long series with a lot of hitting. If the penalties continue to be called as they have all regular season they will be very dangerous.

East Pretenders:

Flyers:
Neither Niittymaki or Esche inspire confidence and in the playoffs it is all about goaltending. They have been banged up all year and their defense is slow and immobile.

That being said, they have a lot of very good young players (Richards, Carter) who add a lot of speed to the lineup. Peter Forsberg, if healthy, can carry this team a long way.

'Canes: I KNOW they have been at the top of the East all year. I KNOW they made some good deals at the trade deadline. I KNOW they have balanced scoring. I also KNOW Martin Gerber has been great all year.

I just don't see any of it carrying over. They don't get by round 2.

Call me out of my mind or whatever. I see the Devils in the Eastern Finals....I really do. I also think the Sens win the East if they get goaltending.

I'm gonna do the West tomorrow...after you all bash me and call me braindead. :tongue:

unifiedtheory said:
East Contenders:

Sens: They can score with anyone and they are getting healthy. There defense can match-up and they have the grit they have lacked in previous years.

The questionmark is Dom Hasek...and that is a big question. How healthy is he and can he hold up to two months of playing every other night? Ray Emery has been good in relief but the playoffs are a whole new ballgame for a goaltender.

Rangers: With the goaltending they have ( I know Lundqvist is a rookie) and Jagr they have the horses to get them places.

The question I have is will they continue to get secondary scoring when the checking tightens up in the playoffs? Will they be able to hold up physically?

Devils: Martin Brodeur is the best player in the World right now. He's done it before and he could do it again. They could win a series or two scoring 2 goals a game because Marty is ON his game.

Their questions are numerous but they have the ultimate playoff answer...great goaltending.

Buffalo: I just have a feeling about them for some reason. They have proved the doubters wrong all year. They roll their lines all night and get scoring from everyone. Ryan Miller is a GREAT young goalie.

The issue I have with them is what will happen when the physical play really picks up? They are a smallish, fast team that could get worn down in a long series with a lot of hitting. If the penalties continue to be called as they have all regular season they will be very dangerous.

East Pretenders:

Flyers: Neither Niittymaki or Esche inspire confidence and in the playoffs it is all about goaltending. They have been banged up all year and their defense is slow and immobile.

That being said, they have a lot of very good young players (Richards, Carter) who add a lot of speed to the lineup. Peter Forsberg, if healthy, can carry this team a long way.

'Canes: I KNOW they have been at the top of the East all year. I KNOW they made some good deals at the trade deadline. I KNOW they have balanced scoring. I also KNOW Martin Gerber has been great all year.

Call me out of my mind or whatever. I see the Devils in the Eastern Finals....I really do. I also think the Sens win the East if they get goaltending.

I'm gonna do the West tomorrow...after you all bash me and call me braindead. :tongue:

i like what u said Forsberg if healthy can carry the team

unifiedtheory said:
East Contenders:

East Pretenders:

Flyers: Neither Niittymaki or Esche inspire confidence and in the playoffs it is all about goaltending. They have been banged up all year and their defense is slow and immobile.

oooh you went all in depth....these means war! ill post mine closer to knowing the Western situation

If Hasek is healthy Ottawa is going to be almost impossible to beat, but with Ray Emery in net I think they maybe vulnerable.

Roman529 said:
I am also a Flyers fan and I have been waiting since 1975 for another Stanley Cup....almost as long as waiting for the Fins to win another SB. :boohoo: The Flyers seem to always get their best guys hurt.....hopefully Forsberg can step it up. I would love to see the Flyers and the Avs as I could see them play at the Pepsi Center in Denver. :tongue:

Keep waiting.....:(

The Buffalo Sabres are the biggest pretender in the playoffs. I'd much rather have the Flyers face them in the first round, they haven't played well for a while now, both of their goalies aren't right. Everyone says they have the "speed" and will carve up the Flyers but i honestly think the Sabres are the team that the Flyers could beat in a 7 game series and i'm much more confident playing them then playing Jersey/New York/Lina'/Ottawa etc.

The biggest contenders i think are the Calgary Flames. With Jerome Iginla and Tony Amonte and all of those solid players they have, backed by the goaltending of Mikka Kiprusoff and coming off a cup run the last time we had Hockey i think they may be one of the most dangerous teams in the playoffs. Detroit is powerful, but they have a tendancy to fold early in the playoffs much like the Senators. Calgary i picked to win the west at the beginning of the season anyway and since i hate Detroit i'm being a Flames homer :)

West Contenders:

Calgary: Combine what can be considered the best defense core in the NHL with the 2nd best goalie on the planet and you get the two main ingredients it takes for playoff success. The style they play is very annoying and gets the job done.

They do have issues with scoring and that could be sign of trouble. If they get a 2-0 lead it is pretty much over. I do think there lack of scoring will eventually catch up to them though.

San Jose: Since Joe Thornton arrived the team has been ROLLING. Joe has more ASSISTS then all but 8 players have points. He has turned Jonathan Cheecho into a legit NHL sniper. This team can score and play physical.

The issue is their defense is quite young (other then McLaren and Hannan) and they can't make up their minds on who is the #1 goalie. If the defense holds up and they get goaltending they are going to the Western Final.

Anaheim: They are the best team in hockey since December. They come at you in waves. Brian Burke calls their style "relentess, beligerant pursuit of the puck". Teemu Selanne has been a revalation, as has Andy McDonald. J.S. Giguere is back on the form that took this team to the Finals.

The only issue with them is their inexperience and their lack of depth on defense. I think they are the type of team you do not want any part of in a playoff series.

East Pretenders:

Detroit:
Let me say first that this is a good team. They can score and play almost any style you want. They have 120 points and have a good mix of experience and youth.

That being said, I think their record is the ULTIMATE mirage. This team plays in the worst division in hockey, with almost no travel. They played the Blue Jackets, Blues and Blackhawks 24 times! Put this team in the Nothwest division and they are fighting for a playoff spot. They don't get by round 2.

Nashville: They are more of a mirage then the Red Wings. They are small and will get worn down in the playoffs. Thomas Vokoun is a very good goalie (will he play in the playoffs????) that can steal a series.

I think they are done quick. Maybe even swept out in round one.

I'm taking Calgary vs. San Jose in the Western Finals.

Watch out for the Devils, they are coming on strong!

They are not the Devils of old, but seam to be catching some of that magic now.

How far do u think the Ducks will go? I absolutly love Teemu Selanne he has one of the best wrist shots i've ever seen. Unfortunetly i don't get to watch like any games cuz i don't have the nhl package so i can't really tell how there playin except for stats and little espn briefings.

Back
Top Bottom