Profanity filter question | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Profanity filter question

That makes me wonder about *** and queer.

Hmm...interesting line drawn there.

ETA: How about lesbo?

ETA2: Hmm...even more interesting.

Jimmy James said:
That makes me wonder about *** and queer.

Hmm...interesting line drawn there.

ETA: How about lesbo?

ETA2: Hmm...even more interesting.

It would be funny if they gave you warning points for this stuff :lol:

Bitching

Bitched

Bitchcakes?

Whats a bitchcake :lol:

Alex44 said:
It would be funny if they gave you warning points for this stuff :lol:

Ah, but I haven't circumvented the profanity filter except to ask if it's acceptable to do so when using ****** in the patently inoffensive sense.

Bitching

Bitched

Bitchcakes?

Whats a bitchcake :lol:

Bitchcakes is a slang word invented by the character Beth on the TV show Newsradio.

Jimmy James said:

Bitching

Bitched

Bitchcakes

****er

****ing

****hole

Why does one set of these words work differently than the other? Just curious...

It's the way the Censorship options are set up in vBulletin. Here is the settings documentation from the Admin control panel:

Censored Words
Type all words you want censored in the field below. Do not use commas to separate words, just use spaces. For example, type "dog cat boy", rather than "dog, cat, boy."

If you type "dog", all words containing the string "dog" would be censored (dogma, for instance, would appear as "***ma"). To censor more accurately, you can require that censors occur only for exact words. You can do this by placing a censor word in curly braces, as in {dog}. Signifying "dog" in the curly braces would mean that dogma would appear as dogma, but dog would appear as "***". Thus your censor list may appear as: cat {dog} {barn} barn

Do not use quotation marks and make sure you use curly braces, not parentheses, when specifying exact words.

mmmmmmmm bitchcakes.

I have a question what if you use the word ***, when referring to a donkey?

-I rode that *** all night long. Offensive? It depends on your persepective.
-I rode that *** down the Grand Canyon. Offensive? not at all.
-With a swift kick, the lazy *** woke up. ***** are known to be lazy.

Celtkin said:
It's the way the Censorship options are set up in vBulletin. Here is the settings documentation from the Admin control panel:

So what you're telling us, then, is that ***** is in curly braces while **** is in quotes.

Jimmy James said:
I don't think it's always offensive even when directed toward a person.

"That ******," almost always would be.

"You're ******ed," usually is.

"I work with mentally ******ed children," generally isn't.

"She suffers from mental ******ation," almost never is.

"I work with mentally handicapped or cognitively challenged children" would me more appropriate. :wink:
As a special education teacher, that is how I would like this population to be referred to.

When people abuse certain words, by using them in an offensive manner, we add them to the profanity filter, unfortunately sometimes that limits the english language for the good guys. We don't concern ourselves with it to much because there are so many other ways to say what you want to say, that if someone comes across a censored word that they are trying to use legitimately, they can simply choose a synonym and move on.

Jimmy James said:
So what you're telling us, then, is that ***** is in curly braces while **** is in quotes.

{bees} would block the use of the word bees but not bee or beeswax
bees (no quote) in the filter window would block the word bees, beeswax but not bee

Back
Top Bottom