Projected Olb Coach And Dline Coaches | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Projected Olb Coach And Dline Coaches

I’ll say one thing about Vance . . . .the defensive personnel was attrocious and yet that unit was at least competitive.

I think the secondary near the end was Rambo, Lippett, Maxwell, Thomas and McCain LOL. Linebackers were Kiko, Butler, Hewitt, Jenkins and Paysinger.

Mario Williams was a failure.

There is a reason he got a head coaching job despite us having a subpar defense. Miami had no business being a playoff team with a 21 PPG offense and that defensive personnel. VJ made magic happen with that group.

Burke was a disaster by comparison.

Oh absolutely I felt with Vance it was more players than him. And we actually disguised the defense well. Burke didnt have that creativity. It was all beat your man and hope for best. I've said a million times that Burke had 1 play, the double a gap blitz. It never worked and was easy for the offense to adjust to. Occasionally we would had the slot blitz from a CB but it was rare

Any sense on how Flores connected with these guys if they don't have a direct history with him? Perhaps back channel interview process?

I am all for hiring the best guys and not limiting yourself to cronies. No need to limit the pool of candidates.

Year one, we throw a mix of coaches together. A couple may not hit and then you tweak in year two. Who knows, maybe they are all slam dunk hires, but I doubt it.

Hopefully, Flores develops a program like Belichick did to develop internal coaches , the way Flores came up.

Time will tell how good or bad these assistants will do with our team.

Any sense on how Flores connected with these guys if they don't have a direct history with him? Perhaps back channel interview process?

I am all for hiring the best guys and not limiting yourself to cronies. No need to limit the pool of candidates.

Year one, we throw a mix of coaches together. A couple may not hit and then you tweak in year two. Who knows, maybe they are all slam dunk hires, but I doubt it.

Hopefully, Flores develops a program like Belichick did to develop internal coaches , the way Flores came up.
I agree but you need to have the players. Some coaches get too much credit or too much blame. Sometimes you need to see if the problem is the coaches or the players.

Also something I want to add is that it is important that everybody is on the same page when it comes to a staff. Especially with our defensive staff it was obvious that things were not organized. Sometimes that results in issues just as much as scheme.

Big thing I am interested in is OL coach. I've heard some interesting rumors
Please do share brother.

And they were a lot of things but certainly not competitive. They allowed 30, 35 and 31 points in their last three games. We’re blasting Tannehill for being unable to close out a season and make the playoffs but the defense gets a pass and is “competitive”? Just because Matt Burke was an even bigger disaster than Vance Joseph doesn’t change the fact that Vance Joseph was a terrible defensive coordinator in his own right.

Hey I am not trying to go to bat for VJ, all I am saying is the personnel on that defense was some of the worst I have ever seen fielded and yet we stayed competitive enough to get into the playoffs.

Coaching definitely made a difference that year. Guys were in the right position, less communication issues and we were a more fundamentally sound defense.

Not sure why we have to bring up Ryan Tannehill’s name in this. His choke job in 2013 was all the foreshadowing needed to sum up his Dolphins career. That injury in 2016 likely saved us from a similar result.

Why would these guys leave their current teams? More money? Promotion?

In fairness I thought Oden and Stoudesville were solid this season. I thought Kris Korucek was a huge get for the DL but it didnt work out.

That being said I thought the biggest issue Gase had with his initial staff was that if his first choice didnt come (Jerome Henderson and Clint Hurtt as defensive assistants) Jr just kept the incumbent rather than go look. Plus defensively it seemed like there was a lack of a plan... especially after Vance left (d wasnt good under VJ either but they did better at disguising things)

But to go along with this, guys are known as great teachers
Kocurek worked wonders with Vincent Taylor and to a lesser degree Davon Godchaux. It really was unfortunate that he only had one season to work with those guys.

Rob Leonard apparently worked with Patrick Graham in NY. Not sure about Hobby.

Back
Top Bottom