'Properly officiated' | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'Properly officiated'

Correct, but saying illegitimate or tainted or astericked or unearned is ****ing weak.

No matter what team out there (incl the 'Fins) was able to overcome such horsepoop should be given even more credit for being able to win in such a minefield. As everyone recalls that same team got absolutley hammered in Indy by the Refs.

Its ok to complain about the refs. To try and talk down whatever team was able to overcome the state of current officiating isnt fair either. They shouldnt be chastised because of the refs. Chastise the refs.

Everyones aim is way off the mark. Its poor form.

B-LO said:
How frustrating do you think it was for Seattle when they realized, sometime in the 2nd quarter, that the game was obviously fixed and that any big play they would make would be called back on a dubious penalty?

Good grief man, there might have been a few close calls, but the game was not fixed. Get over it. :shakeno:
What do you think, they should strip Pittsburgh of the Super Bowl title because they wrongly called Hasselbeck for an illegal block - because THAT was the ONLY one of the close calls that absolutely should not have been called.

The way I see it is that for 39 SuperBowls, the refs mgiht have made a bad call or two but they were never THE STORY and quite possibly the DETERMINING FACTOR. I'm not losing any sleep over it because it's not my Dolphins involved and I'm glad that they had the inevitable happen before we got back. Look, to have the referees decide one out of forty SuperBowls is pretty good odds when you realize how much influence they can wield in the final score. Thank god it wasn't us on the wrong end of those calls. And yes, I feel it can be called illegitimate because I don't feel it was decided by the players but rather the officials. Besides, Steelers fans tend to be arrogant and I know its getting under their skin that everyone is questioning their victory.

Look, just to clear something up, I(as in me) am not saying the game was fixed in any way, shape or form. I am simply saying that the game may have been decided based on the officials just as much as the players. You would think that in a game so big, a stage so pure the officials would try to stay as uninvolved as possible. Its the superbowl, let the teams play the game. Perfect example is the pushoff, sure it could have gone either way but the ref decided to throw the flag. Let the outcome be decided by the players, not the refs

PassRush said:
Look, just to clear something up, I(as in me) am not saying the game was fixed in any way, shape or form. I am simply saying that the game may have been decided based on the officials just as much as the players. You would think that in a game so big, a stage so pure the officials would try to stay as uninvolved as possible. Its the superbowl, let the teams play the game. Perfect example is the pushoff, sure it could have gone either way but the ref decided to throw the flag. Let the outcome be decided by the players, not the refs

agreed. the NFL should be concerned about incompetence creating the mere appearance of wrongdoing.

Mauler said:
I think the officiating can be questioned.

It could have just as easily been Pittsburgh who got bad calls.

The referess call what they see. (There may have been lots of non-calls that went in favor of the Seahwks, but you dont know and you will never know and neither will anyone else. Like the Stevens fumble for example. It could have been much fairer then you perceieve it to be.)

Its unfortunate that the Seahawks got "seen", but nothing was done unfairly or in a biased manner. Have you watched football before? This stuff happens. People have the right to be upset, but dont twist it into "tainted" "unearned" "asterick" whining that is everywhere.

That is simply poor sportmanship.

That actually helped the steelers believe it or not, the ball rolled inside the 15 yard line and out of bounds *or right on the sideline*, next play was a punt and the steelers got it at the 20

Obviously to say the refs called that on purpose is dumb, but it didnt help seattle any

Mauler said:
He said he didnt "think" he scored. He wasnt sure.
He is playing football, and not watching.
Thats the officials job.

I gaurantee that Rothlisberger had a better look at it than anybody. IF its close you are not sure, you dont call it a TD until its reviewed. Was it close.... Absolutely. I have watched it ohhhh 30 times and still cant tell.

azfinfanmang said:
I gaurantee that Rothlisberger had a better look at it than anybody. IF its close you are not sure, you dont call it a TD until its reviewed. Was it close.... Absolutely. I have watched it ohhhh 30 times and still cant tell.

Exactly. It's extremely tough to tell. That's why the call on the field stood.

Just to throw it out there, a lot of people overlooked another important call. On a Pitt punt Peter Warrick had a very nice return only to be overtunred by one of the weakest holding calls ive ever seen. It was right at the line of scrimmage, anyone else remeber this?

Also Darrel Jacksons TD near the end of the half WAS a TD. One foot touched the endzone, other hit the pylon. theres another TD they took from him.

I was appualed, my least favorite SB by far because of the refs.

I don't wanna get into the officiating because it was awful, and had an impact on the game. I've been wondering how hypocritical the NFL would look if they fined Holmgren after not fining Joey Porter a couple weeks ago.

How can they say it was fair officiating, what about the Hasselbeck illegal block call that made no sense whatsoever?

There are three main points of view on this. I believe two of them are insupportable.

1. The game was fairly called.

Ridiculous. I have never seen such national outrage over officiating in a superbowl. And there are not a whole lot of Seahawks fans around the country. We could argue call by call, and have. But overall the officiating was just terrible. Ask every ref in the league on a secret ballot whether you make those calls in those situations and I think there would be a consensus that you don't.

So to me trying to claim that their wasn't a big problem with the officiating is insupportable.

2. The game was rigged. This is one of those kinds of accusations you just don't make without proof. And, no, one of the judges being from Pittsburg is not proof. While it is not impossible that someone got to AN individual, I find it unlikely. And I find it incredibly unlikely that there was a conspiracy. Too many people would have to know and you just can't keep that a secret.

So... insupportable.

3. It was just an incompetently called game. No conspiracy, and no attempt to rationalize bad calls. Just plain old bad calls.

Refs influenced by "home" crowd quality for Pitt? Dunno. Maybe slightly, subconsciously.

But Occam's razor would tell us that crappy calls were just because the refs were crappy that day.

It was just an obviously crappily called game. When those crappy calls mostly happen at critical moments in the game, it sucks worse. When they all happen to one team, it sucks even worse.

Brice said:
Jimi said:
Also Darrel Jacksons TD near the end of the half WAS a TD. One foot touched the endzone, other hit the pylon. theres another TD they took from him.
Is that pylon thing a rule?

No, it's a four year old misinterpretation made by John Clayton.

Before 2002, touching the pylon meant that you were immediately considered out of bounds. Now, touching the pylon is no longer considered being out of bounds. If you already have possession, touching the pylon with your foot (or passing any body part over the pylon [see Vick vs. Saints]) while the ball has passed the goalline out of bounds is a touchdown.

But that's after possession. To establish possession, you must still get two feet down on the actual playing surface. In this case, the pylon is just a pylon, and doesn't count as the ground.

During the game my friend actually came up with an idea during the game

Every official should have 10 years experience at the big game

The pylon is considerd part of the playing field, touching it with a foot is as good as getting the foot down

Back
Top Bottom