Q & A Live with Joel Collier: Answers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Q & A Live with Joel Collier: Answers

sounds like he like Fiedler:

Q. What do you believe are the most important attributes a successful QB must possess?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. I think successful quarterbacks have to be tough, I think they have to be accurate, and I think they have to be smart with what they do with the football. They need those three qualities. Other things are additionals: when you talk about athleticism, about arm strength, about all those things, those are great qualities, but I don't know if they are as important as those three that I said.

it always makes me nervous when people are promoted/given a job and they're like (not a direct quote mind you) "wow...me? are you serious man? You want me to do that for you..? Cool.....I never thought that this would happen....I'm blown away.......me?......you want me?........you serious?......where's the phone.....I need to call my mom........you sure? .....awww..man.....this is great, like winning the lotterly...........wait till I tell my friends during recess, they're going to be like...'no way, they gave YOU....THAT job?' .......cooooollllllll.....this so so unexpected....I never thought I'd be doing this....."

Originally posted by dolphan39
sounds like he like Fiedler:

That was one of my questions. But I think it sounds more like Rivers b/c there has always been some questions about JF's accuracy and decision making.

Originally posted by rafael

That was one of my questions. But I think it sounds more like Rivers b/c there has always been some questions about JF's accuracy and decision making.
much more so the former than the latter...

P.S. he did not answer my question about putting the stretch play into the playbook for Ricky

Well I wouldn't call Jay Fiedler "smart with the football" considering he's had 55 interceptions in 4 years here. His career interception rate of 3.8% is what I would consider to be pretty high. He is a pretty accurate QB but not super accurate either...career percentage below 60%.

One thing he definitely is, is he's one tough S.O.B. But what I think Collier clearly described as a top QB is honestly and I know I keep saying this, Phil Rivers. You look at the top things, Rivers is tough he's been a starter at NC State for 4 years and taken ACC style defensive beatings from the likes of Ohio State and FSU for a long time...he's SUPER accurate, and if Phil Rivers is one thing, he's smart with the football. He has a career 2.0% interception rate and a 67% completion rate. His senior year those numbers were 1.4% and 72% respectively. WoWsers.

BTW reading between the lines a bit one thing that Collier keeps saying is something along the lines of "success is in the details"

At first I thought this was just a catchy well-placed phrase for the media to grab hold of. Now he's gone and said something along those lines again. Someone asked how we need to get better in the system and he mentioned the details again.

Something tells me that from his position at RB coach, he noticed some major oversights that were never attended to by either Chan Gailey or Norv Turner. He definitely disagreed with how certain things were being handled...and might even think one or both were doing a shoddy job in terms of handling these "details"

But you do notice he isnt going to do things exactly the same as Norv...he's not just copying him. Something tells me he wants to be on the field calling plays to get into a better flow. I also think reading between the lines that he wants audibles brought back to the QB, and this I think would actually be facilitated by Collier's presence on the field instead of in the booth. Like he said, you save about 8 or 9 seconds being on the field, and that is the kind of time a Peyton Manning uses to give all those fake audibles at the line of scrimmage.

It does sound like he would be leaning toward Rivers and away from Henson. I like rivers but prefer Henson. He may be shifting attention away from his primary focus too. Who knows.:confused:

Well try and remember one thing about Henson though. I know this is hard to imagine because he's about the same age as Eli Manning, but Drew Henson having had all those years at Michigan then another 3 years in pro baseball, has an expected NFL career 3 years shorter than everyone else. Pro baseball ain't no daisy, guys get injured there all the time and their bodies take a beating, if not quite as much as the NFL.

And if you and everyone else are right in that his absence from football means his starting timeline is pushed back further than a normal draft pick, thats even more time you're cuttin away from the dude's career. What I'm saying is IF the guy pans out, if he truly does pan out, and he doesn't end up starting til he's like 26 or 27, you've got about 4-5 good years out of him before you start having to make tough decisions because you've got a guy leading your team pushing 31-32 years of age. I mean Fiedler's no spring chicken himself he's like 31 or soon to be 32 or somethin but part of the reason nobody worries about his age is he took time off from football and didn't put it through professional sports at all he coached at Hofstra.

What I'm sayin is, if we get Henson for a 2nd round draft choice...that may be exactly what he's worth because of what 3 years of baseball has done for the prospects of his football career.

only downside to being on the field is you don't have a birds-eye view of watching the opposing D's formations and covers, etc. which could affect his playcalling, which is probably why more O-coordinators are upstairs rather then downstairs. He is probably used to being on the field and thinks he can lead down there as well as he was the RB coach on the field. I don't care if he wants to switch it up some, but I think he belongs upstairs more often then not.

I'd hope that baseball helped strengthen and condition his body the past few years rather then take a 'toll' on his body physically. I don't see baseball as any sort of contact sport and ,other then the skills for the game itself, i view it as a conditioning sport.......which is a good thing. How many players blow out their knees, tear their achilles, dislocate shoulders (throwing arm), break fingers (throwing hand), bruise / crack their ribs, break a leg (vick, mcnabb), hyperextend elbows, ankles, get 'stingers' up their spines etc.? Not too many although it happens every day during the course of an NFL season.....so I personally wouldn't worry about "if" baseball has pushed his body over the limits and I actually see it as a positive for not only keeping him in shape but also improving his physical performance/stamina/strenth from the exercises and workouts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey like the questioner said...a guy that is currently a hot commodity at offensive coordinator Charlie Weis, calls all his plays from down on the field.

Phil Rivers just turned 22, Drew Henson is about to turn 24 in a week. Its just somethin to think about...lots of question marks about Drew Henson in their own right. What did the 3 years off from football do to his natural feel for the game? Was he really that good at all the intangibles I mean he only started 8 games at Michigan to begin with. How will the 3 years in pro baseball affect his longevity? How will it affect his learning curve? Do you really want to spend much on a guy who by "concensus" won't be ready to play until he's 26 or 27 years old?

Actually there are injuries in baseball all the time. Not as severe as some of the injuries you suffer in the NFL, then again in the NFL the only bruising a QB gets done is when he gets knocked down or sacked he's already not subject to the usual bruising that say, a RB or lineman gets.

there is always one or two people who have the ability to do something most others can't. If he wants to try it, fine.....let him see if he feels he can 'see' everything from down there clear enough to call the best plays. I just wouldn't be surprised to see him go back up.

I'm not arguing for or against Henson, although I think he has good potential. I think we'll have a better idea after the 12th as to how much his game has changed. So until then....I'll just wait and cross my fingers that the scouts/mgmt. for the fins figure out which one is the best QB and go after him :)

Well remember that they have those handy-dandy printouts that get faxed to the field all the time and given to players and position coaches almost real-time showing defensive fronts. I think if Collier wanted a birds eye view he could get a good one using those. I think we should allow him to do what he feels most comfortable with until we have a good reason not to. Right now it sounds almost as if Collier wants to be on the field but doesnt think Dave will let him. Hey maybe being down on the field allows you to get a better feel for not only the flow of the game, but the crowd, and maybe even more importantly your own players. Body language can be an important thing in that matter and maybe having an OC call plays down on the field, you get a better idea of who is going to be "hot" right now and who isn't. Either way Collier's the OC I think it should be his choice until it looks like the product he's giving might be suffering.

Back
Top Bottom