QB of the future, and are you worried? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB of the future, and are you worried?

Phinzone

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I look at this season as positive in every way guys, no doubt about it. And here's why.

1. I kind of hope we don't make the playoff's. I know this sounds anit-phins, but think about this. We currently are NOT good enough to win the SB. If we can't win it, i'd MUCH rather let Griese learn the system, keep Ricky, but not run him to death, let Smith get comfortable on the line, and kind of use this as a building up year. PLUS it will make them even more hungry next year....

that's right. Next year without the QB distraction, as hopefuly Jay goes, and we sign a few year extension for Griese, move Sage up...AND...draft a good QB to groom.

I like how Griese is playing, but i doubt he's our answer for the next 8 years. I can see him 3 years here, but we'll need a good QB to groom. By not making the playoff's, we will have a MUCH better chance of trading up to get a good young QB>

#1 on our list is obvioulsy Eli. Looks great, great arm, great pedigree, great decisions, etc. That said, he willb e out of reach.

Who would you take next? I vote HEAVILY for phillip Rivers. He's projected #5, so we could trade up and get him pretty easily, great arm, great decisions..i'd LOVE to sit him behind Brian for 2 or 3 seasons, then let him take over.

In the mean time, we get our line healthy, sign another LT, pick up a good #2 man, or get Orande back, and things are great.

Now, i'm not hoping for a bust season, but if i had to choose, it'd be more beneficial down the road to take a dive now, than to go to teh AFC Champ. and drop it, or bow out early. Just my 2 cents, and i'm a pro-phin fan all the way guys, i'm just hopin for the best, but livin the realist aspect :)

I don't think we can afford to take a QB with our first round pick. Even if we sign a GOOD FA at LT we still need to spend that top pick on another O-lineman.....Wade, Perry, Ruddy, and Dixon are most likely through....that's alot of beef to replace. :(

man, it hurts to agree with you, but i still think we need a grooming QB. And with Rivers and manning in the draft...ESPECIALLY a young manning....it'd be hard to pass that up, he could be a franchise QB equal to marino. Of course he could flop, but his chances of blossoming in our offense after 2-3 years on the bench..that's priceless man...

Neither QB should be back unless somehow one of them turn it around.Next year FA should be filled with some reasonable price QB's with talent.I think you also have to consider drafting a QB in mid rounds hoping for a sleeper.

Originally posted by minus
Neither QB should be back unless somehow one of them turn it around.Next year FA should be filled with some reasonable price QB's with talent.I think you also have to consider drafting a QB in mid rounds hoping for a sleeper.

As it sits Griese should stay next year. I don't want to wipe the slate clean and start with a new QB in a new system. I doubt we'll find a decent FA with his talent anyway. That said, he's not a Dan Marino, so i don't really want him here for another 7 years. i'd rather keep him around so we can groom a rookie in, Like Pennington over in Ny. Took him high and sat him when they had a great QB in Testeverde (yeah i hate him too, but he was good then). maybe give hte rookie a shot in a year or two. Sleepers are ok, but we may have on in Sage as well. But we're deep in QB"s this year, and players like Rivers should go mid-first round.

Originally posted by Graythreat

As it sits Griese should stay next year. I don't want to wipe the slate clean and start with a new QB in a new system. I doubt we'll find a decent FA with his talent anyway. That said, he's not a Dan Marino, so i don't really want him here for another 7 years. i'd rather keep him around so we can groom a rookie in, Like Pennington over in Ny. Took him high and sat him when they had a great QB in Testeverde (yeah i hate him too, but he was good then). maybe give hte rookie a shot in a year or two. Sleepers are ok, but we may have on in Sage as well. But we're deep in QB"s this year, and players like Rivers should go mid-first round.

with his talent?You can there will be at three four QB's with better talent than Griese off my top of my head.

Warner
Brunell
Couch

Griese positive
Throws nice tight spiral
Make quick desicion

Negative
Mobile as a rock
His arm strength is not any better than Fiedler and it might be a notch worst than Fiedlers.
Folds under pressure
He doesn't forget about mistakes and affects his play for rest of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Hope we have Griese here a long time. I know he'll never be Marino, but He has great potenial. But ya draft a decent rooki, not first round. We need Some Beef.

not dead yet

We may still have a shot at a wildcard. If so and the line gets hot we may be ok. If not I feel BG should be here for a while. Any new QB would be a several yr project and how old will our stars be by then. People that will be 30+ Ricky, BG, Thomas JT, both corners, chester, Konrad and knight. Gone will be Seau, Bowens, marion. Thats all the talent. Learn from the Ravens and go for it NOW. If that isn't this year prime to make the run next year. To do this we need all new o line. Draft/ FA whatever works.

I think Griese will be a fine QB going into next year with some O-Line changes.

Originally posted by minus

with his talent?You can there will be at three four QB's with better talent than Griese off my top of my head.

Warner
Brunell
Couch

Griese positive
Throws nice tight spiral
Make quick desicion

Negative
Mobile as a rock
His arm strength is not any better than Fiedler and it might be a notch worst than Fiedlers.
Folds under pressure
He doesn't forget about mistakes and affects his play for rest of the game.

Warner- Your asking us to take a gammble on an old QB who's been fighting injuries? I'm a HUGE warner fan, i'm from IA, rooted for him forever, but there is NO way i woudl gammble on him. plus, he's older and wouldn't be around for but a few years anyway, in which case we STILL need to pick up a young QB to groom. Prolly too much money as well.

Brunell. Great has been QB. Maybe has a FEW good seasons left in him, but once again, 3 years max and he's out of the league. I'd rather stick with a young potential Griese who we have and is in our system than start an old, will be gone, doesn't know the system QB.

Couch- will be too high priced, and totally over rated. He pulled a flop pick on Cleveland. maybe someday he'll catch on, but i'd take Greise over him ANY day.

Those are all options, but none of htem are total fixes. Where as grooming a QB would be a much better investment.

Originally posted by Graythreat

Warner- Your asking us to take a gammble on an old QB who's been fighting injuries? I'm a HUGE warner fan, i'm from IA, rooted for him forever, but there is NO way i woudl gammble on him. plus, he's older and wouldn't be around for but a few years anyway, in which case we STILL need to pick up a young QB to groom. Prolly too much money as well.

Brunell. Great has been QB. Maybe has a FEW good seasons left in him, but once again, 3 years max and he's out of the league. I'd rather stick with a young potential Griese who we have and is in our system than start an old, will be gone, doesn't know the system QB.

Couch- will be too high priced, and totally over rated. He pulled a flop pick on Cleveland. maybe someday he'll catch on, but i'd take Greise over him ANY day.

Those are all options, but none of htem are total fixes. Where as grooming a QB would be a much better investment.

Let see...

Griese is 28 and talent wise doesn't compare to other QB's that I mention.

Mark Brunell -Strongest arm out all of them,mobile,put up good stats behind the worst offensive line the last three years and a horrible team.Mark Brunell still has a few year left at high level which gives the Dolphins time to draft QB and develop him behind Brunell.What better QB to develp behind than Mark Brunell.

Give Mark Brunell a decent oline and he will turn Chambers and Mcmicheal into probowlers.

Brunell to Chambers for a 65 yrd strike TD!!!:D

Originally posted by inFINSible
I don't think we can afford to take a QB with our first round pick. Even if we sign a GOOD FA at LT we still need to spend that top pick on another O-lineman.....Wade, Perry, Ruddy, and Dixon are most likely through....that's alot of beef to replace. :(

yeah, why do people try so hard to ignore the main problem with this team? i just dont understand peoples thinking. they must be flying out of formation.:)

Back
Top Bottom