QB Situation Solved!!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

QB Situation Solved!!!

Originally posted by inFINSible
You're a bit late ...sorry.....musk has already solved our QB problems.....As a matter of fact, I'm trying to get a hold of Wayne right now.......

:lol: :roflmao:

I don't think its a bad move. Its better than overpaying for Brunell's services thats for sure.

If we signed Volek and had him compete with Sage for the start, and trust me it would be a competition you don't sign a Billy Volek and just hand him the keys to the car without giving him a test drive first, then it would be a similar situation to what we did in 2000 when Marino left. We had incumbent Damon Huard battle it out with newcomer promising backup Jay Fiedler.

I don't know if Volek is more talented than Fiedler, but I feel sure that Sage is more talented than Huard was/is. It could be a very good battle. The comparisons between Volek and Delhomme are obvious ones.

This would be a good move so long as Miami fans don't take it for granted that Volek is gonna start and be a top QB...because we've got our own little Jake Delhomme wannabe in Sage Rosenfels just ITCHIN for the opportunity to start. He's put in his time. Its high time he got a chance now.

Quote:
Originally posted by A.J. Fin
One or two decent relief jobs does not a quarterback make.

Scott Mitchell anyone?

Scott Mitchell is one, but a more recent example remember Fiedler had only a few good backup games...

Personally I like Volek, but there is reason to be cautious.

Volek is a lot better than Scott Mitchell. He looked solid in the game against the Bills but he took some big hits. If he got hit like that every week he'd have a very short career.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I don't think its a bad move. Its better than overpaying for Brunell's services thats for sure.

If we signed Volek and had him compete with Sage for the start, and trust me it would be a competition you don't sign a Billy Volek and just hand him the keys to the car without giving him a test drive first, then it would be a similar situation to what we did in 2000 when Marino left. We had incumbent Damon Huard battle it out with newcomer promising backup Jay Fiedler.

I don't know if Volek is more talented than Fiedler, but I feel sure that Sage is more talented than Huard was/is. It could be a very good battle. The comparisons between Volek and Delhomme are obvious ones.

This would be a good move so long as Miami fans don't take it for granted that Volek is gonna start and be a top QB...because we've got our own little Jake Delhomme wannabe in Sage Rosenfels just ITCHIN for the opportunity to start. He's put in his time. Its high time he got a chance now.

A) He had ONE GOOD GAME...so did Griese but Volek had more time with the offense and a MUCH BETTER LINE.

B) Why would we want to intentionally revisit the "confused" post Marino years. Comparing this situation to the decision between Huard and Fiedler is reason enough not to get Volek!!!!

Jay Fieldlers numbers the year before coming to FIns w/ Jax

64% completions, 2 TD's, 2 INT's, 83 QB rating - 1/1 TD to INT ratio is what he's had throughout his career in miami

whereas Voleks numbers:
are similar to Fielders expect that Volek has a better TD to INT ratio is 4 to 1 and has a QB rating greater than 100 in the same amount of pass attempts compared with Fiedlers season in 1999 with Jax

Ah remember the Dolphins signed an UFA backup quarterback off of an AFC playoff team in 1999, that had started 1 game. That particular qb signing sure has been irritating to watch over the last four years. Do you really want to do that again?

Yea but look at what Jay did in the reg season in 99 and he didnt do anything spectacular...he threw same amount of td's and int and qb rating was ok but Volek has 4 to 1 td to int ratio better than fiedler had...anyhow, QB success cant be measured...who knew that Delhomme was going to have a great year

Dude I wouldn't keep harping on the 4 to 1 ratio because its just that, 4 to 1 not 40 to 10. You can't extrapolate like that based on the little bit of starting that Volek has done. This is precisely why if he were brought in he would compete with Sage, on the chance that one of them had what it takes to put us in the endzone and lead this offense.

Much like what we did in 2000. And the reason I bring up these "confusing" post-Marino days is because thats the last time we won a damn playoff game, thats why. Back then we were hungry overachievers. Now we're fat, underachieving, paper champions. If having a young QB hungry to prove himself helps us get back to that hungry nature, I'm all fvcking for it.

But you don't hand a guy like Rosenfels or Volek the future. You haven't seen either of them perform at an NFL level yet, not in college (hence the low pedigree) and not in the pros yet. What they turn out to be in 2004, might not be what they turn out to be in 2005 and beyond. This is why you draft a Phil Rivers, a guy I feel is a sure-fire bet to be a franchise quality QB in this league.

You give Volek and Sage two years to prove themselves to the Phins and the rest of the league while Rivers develops and breaks some of the nasty habits he's acquired (some footwork kinks, maybe work on the throwing motion A LITTLE bit to see if it gets him better velocity, etc). If Volek or Sage look ultra-good hey, there ya go you can just get rid of Rivers trade him for like a 2nd round pick...some team would do it so long as he never started and looked like a complete fool on camera. But this only happens of course if Volek or Sage end up pro bowl quality talents. And even then, they have to look like they'd have staying power.

Where the Dolphins made their mistake with Fiedler was in failing to hedge their bets against the future. I mean to say they did try and trade for Matt Hasselback but when they failed, they pretty much packed it in and didn't try and get someone of a good pedigree to come in learn for a while and eventually take over...

...except Sage Rosenfels.

You know CK...no QB prospect is a sure bet. I talk about 4 to 1 ratio b/c its something its not alot but its something...something that might be an indication of future production...i love Rivers and think he'll be good but even he carries some risk probably not as much as other prospective QB's. I hate it when people say that a QB is going to be great when they should be saying he has a chance to be great.

I was gonna post on how this guy doesn't even have a complete game of NFL experience and how premature everyones expectations allready are, but I'm tired so im just gonna make my post short and sweet.

As far as im concerned Sage makes more sense that Voleck at this point, he knows the system, he's comfortable with the personell and coaches and he's got as much experience as Voleck :lol:

I don't see a problem with bringing him in to compete for the starting spot - but we should give "back-up" compensation to the Titans for him because at this point all we can consider him is, as a backup QB.

Originally posted by MARLINSFAN305
You know CK...no QB prospect is a sure bet. I talk about 4 to 1 ratio b/c its something its not alot but its something...something that might be an indication of future production...i love Rivers and think he'll be good but even he carries some risk probably not as much as other prospective QB's. I hate it when people say that a QB is going to be great when they should be saying he has a chance to be great.

I disagree, I don't think the 4 to 1 offers little if anything at all. He showed solid mechanics but if I took anything away from the Buffablow - Titans game it was that this kid got injured in his Proffesional Debut. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it can't be a good thing.

Like I said the 4 to 1 ratio means little because its just that 4 to 1.

Volek and Rosenfels should both receive compensation from the Phins reflecting exactly what they are...two QBs who will enter training camp in a full battle for the right to be the starter. Remember that Sage is an RFA. We should sign them both to 3 year contracts say listen if you've got any sack then you'll come down and compete with each other for the start, while the loser takes the backup job. If Volek is too much of a wuss that he doesn't wanna compete with Sage Rosenfels then we don't want him. Cuz I know Sage would be up for the battle. This is what he's been waitin for

Back
Top Bottom