Qb | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Qb

vcip

Starter
Club Member
Reaction score
With this promotion of Collier, & DW saying he didn't want to change systems, does this increase the chance of Brian Griese returning at a lesser salary? If so I am alright with that. Some think that BG is crap. I happen to think he is an NFL starter that will be ok for the Phins. If this were to happen & a roookie QB is drafted I am happy. Of course another WR is needed & playcalling that is not as predictable.

Originally posted by vcip
With this promotion of Collier, & DW saying he didn't want to change systems, does this increase the chance of Brian Griese returning at a lesser salary? If so I am alright with that. Some think that BG is crap. I happen to think he is an NFL starter that will be ok for the Phins. If this were to happen & a roookie QB is drafted I am happy. Of course another WR is needed & playcalling that is not as predictable.

BG is good as long as he doesn't have to leave the pocket and have plenty of time. That's not the NFL today, he needs to be a thread both ways, running when neccessary..He shouldn't have to run all the time, but when things breakdown, so does BG. And once he's hit, his confidence is gone and he's easily rattled after that. He focus on the field is what I question, alone with his toughness. He doesn't have my vote in those departments and a leader has to be able to set the example, that's why Jay has the team's respect even if they know he's not the best passer. They know he will fight until the end, you don't get that with BG.

BG has already said that he wants to return, the question that remains however, is whether or not the team wants him to return. I'm pretty sure that, based upon some of the statements he's made, that he would gladly take a humongous pay cut to stay in Miami but that doesn't mean he's still wanted. We will find out exactly what the 'Fins plan on doing about the QB position on or before March 1st as both Fiedler and Griese are due large roster bonuses that the team simply isn't going to pay. We shall soon see.

I can't exactly say you are wrong, but some act like BG is an untested R who was never able to start for any length of time.
he was a productive starter who had 3 decent years. I admit there are concerns but are they that much more than the other QB's mentioned. (Brunell, Warner & Garcia)??
I think it is overblown, and will go out on a limb & say BG is the best fit for the situation the Phins are in.

I don't want BG here. I really don't want JF here either but if he takes a pay cut he would not be a bad back-up.

SR may be our best QB on this current team. I hope that Sage gets a chance to compete for the starting spot...he could be our future qb...but we'll never know unless he gets a chance.

Warner should stop being mentioned as Martz has already publicly stated that he WILL NOT trade or release Warner and that both he and Bulger will be back next year. Garcia is also under contract so there's very little chance that the Noners are going to release him when they're already losing Owens and will need an experienced QB in there with their young corps of receivers.

Im ok with Griese or Fielder as our Vet QB for now but we MUST have a Rivers or better being groomed and ready to take over shortly after.

the question appears to be will we get Brunelle? If we get him, I'll happily say goodbye to Jay and BG.

If we can't snag a vet. QB, then where will we stand? We'd have to resign sage and then move up in the draft to get a QB with a CHANCE of starting this season. The only 2 that seem to POSSIBLY fit that bill would be Rivers or Eli. Both seem like smart QB's eager to learn. I'll hold judgement on Ben. I hear he's a great QB, but haven't seen enough of him to tell if he could walk on?

And even with a walk on we're in BIG trouble. Throughout history walk on rookie's suck.

However, given the option of keeping Jay or BG if we can't sign a vet..i have to go with BG. If he takes a HUGE cut. But Jay's had 4 years and done nothing for this team. BG had to walk on after an injured toe, with an O-line that utterly collapsed on him, his first year in our system. I'm not trying to make excuses for him I'm trying to say I think he has a bigger upside than Jay. Given time Jay hasn't consistently made the throws, where as Brian did. Sure, it was SD, but it's still a pro-defense, and he looked damn good. I'd hate to reward Jay's mediocre play with ANOTHER year as starting QB. If it means we draft a QB to groom behind BG and Griese takes a dive, so be it. At least it'll be him taking the hits, and not to rookie. Jay doesn't deserve to take the hits. Not anymore. I used to like the guy, but 4 seasons of blind loyalty to such a mediocre talent really irks me.

you could make "excuses" that BG played behind a poor o-line and bad playing calling but JF played behind that same o-line and bad play calling also. yes, he's had 4 years to prove himself in this system and BG has had only 1 year but BG can't move in the pocket...imo he has bad "pocket presence." I rather not see BG or JF starting for the Fins...I would like to know what Sage could do!!!

Originally posted by Sal Lisitano
you could make "excuses" that BG played behind a poor o-line and bad playing calling but JF played behind that same o-line and bad play calling also. yes, he's had 4 years to prove himself in this system and BG has had only 1 year but BG can't move in the pocket...imo he has bad "pocket presence." I rather not see BG or JF starting for the Fins...I would like to know what Sage could do!!!

I'm up in the air about sage. One thing you have to keep in mind though, IF we draft a rookie and let those 2 go, and resign sage, we'd still be down to sage and a rookie. I'd rather have one of the guys with NFL experience be on the roster with us. And I think BG is the lesser of the 2 evils, but that's just a personal preference. We can all agree that neither in rights should be starting on our team.

yes...i see your point...and i do remember BG being in the Pro Bowl not to long ago.

imo...we need to "sure-up" our o-line...maybe then BG will look like the pro bowler he once was...but he did play behind Denver's o-line and we all know that Denver's o-line is much much much better than the Fins o-line.

Yeah, however Gray it was very clear at the redskins game that Fiedler was the only QB for the dolphins at the time. He came in totally turned the game around, JAY FIEDLER did that...weird huh? The fans cheered madly for him once he walked on the field. Noone wanted Griese any longer. Last offseason we were all really excited to have Griese on our roster and during the middle of this season i dont think anyone had 1 nice thing to say about him. If he gets any pressure hes HORRIBLE.

Originally posted by Phinfan31
Yeah, however Gray it was very clear at the redskins game that Fiedler was the only QB for the dolphins at the time. He came in totally turned the game around, JAY FIEDLER did that...weird huh? The fans cheered madly for him once he walked on the field. Noone wanted Griese any longer. Last offseason we were all really excited to have Griese on our roster and during the middle of this season i dont think anyone had 1 nice thing to say about him. If he gets any pressure hes HORRIBLE.

yeah i see that side of it too. How about this....

1. We sign our rookie, and hope he can take over mid-year.

2. Resign Jay for less, and let sage start no matter what. If we go 1-15, we keep sage in until the rookie is ready. Jay doesn't see playing time unless someone get's hurt.

or

3. Resign griese for very little, and let sage start until the rookie is ready.

That way Sage get's his fair shake, and our rookie get's groomed. Brian and Jay are injury insurance, but don't get a shot. We know they can't take us all the way, so might as well ride the ship up to the #1 pick next year ;)

lol, just playing.

Back
Top Bottom