Question for Baz | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question for Baz

Boomer

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Mate, not sure if you missed it, but I dropped a ???? for you in another thread......if you get time to answer, it would be great.....

Here goes....Miami are clearly considering drafting a QB with the 2nd pick.....whether that is Leinart, Rodgers or the high rising Alex Smith. No-one on this site, no draft evaluators, etc have what you have.....and that is that you have played 60 minutes against him. So what was he like? What did you make of him? Arm, size, mobility, did he make life tough for you, what did your coaches make you study about him the week prior?

Would be fascinated to know.

Plus, less likely, but did you gets to grips with RG Chris Kemoeatu?

Thanks mate
Boom.

Alex Smith is a handful, to say the least. I'm no talent evaluator, so I can't give specifics. However, the guy has a cannon. One play I remember vividly was when I was covering his TE downfield. The guy ran an out route 10 or 15 yards out. He put that ball exactly where it had to be for him to get it. The ball was on a tightrope, and it hit the TE in the hands. Fortunately for me, he dropped it, but there was nothing I could do about that throw. His field presence was unmatched. He clearly ran that offense. The week prior to the game, our biggest focus was getting to him and making him throw earlier than he wanted. That may sound like common sense, but he had no recognizable weaknesses in his play. We figure we couldn't count on him to make many mistakes, so we had to force him to do it. The guy is incredibly smart. He was the only quarterback we played that read our defense and picked it apart. He always seemed to know where our blitz was coming from, and hit the open guy. Very frustrating guy to play against. Hopefully that answers your questions. If you have any others, feel free to ask...... :)

As far as the RG goes, I rarely blitz from the inside, so I didn't get tangled up with the G too often. The few times I did blitz from inside, the lineman seem to prefer to pick up lineman and backers first, so I usually came through relatively easily......

Thanks mate. It's sort of what I expected you to say. The thing I find most interesting is what you said about how intelligent he was and how he seemed to almost know 1 step ahead of what Coach Lewis was sending at him with you guys. I'm re-watching a number of Utah games now and it's a HUGELY bold statement from me, but the more I see, the closer I might come to feeling that he might just be a pick for us. I don't know.......the Combine will be fascinating to see what he does as he breaks from under center.

It's not a progression offense, because it's so gimicky, but was he easy to read or did he try and fool you with his eyes? Physically, he looks quite high cut, a little thin - did you get that impression?

Cheers again mate. ;)
Boom

Oh yeah....that 70 yard return vs Oregon State for 6....how good did that feel????

With that game in mind, break down Derek Anderson for me from your wolf position point of view? He had a much better 2004 than his previous years. Wondered what you though of him and how you game planned him?

Another question.....taking down Wes Welker when he was returning a punt for 6 when you were a junior....who knew he'd be our return man!! :)

And I hope you are going to give training camp a shot?

Boomer said:
Thanks mate. It's sort of what I expected you to say. The thing I find most interesting is what you said about how intelligent he was and how he seemed to almost know 1 step ahead of what Coach Lewis was sending at him with you guys. I'm re-watching a number of Utah games now and it's a HUGELY bold statement from me, but the more I see, the closer I might come to feeling that he might just be a pick for us. I don't know.......the Combine will be fascinating to see what he does as he breaks from under center.

It's not a progression offense, because it's so gimicky, but was he easy to read or did he try and fool you with his eyes? Physically, he looks quite high cut, a little thin - did you get that impression?

Cheers again mate. ;)
Boom

Haha, now thats a question a little more up my ally. He wasn't overly difficult to read. He sometimes would stare down his receivers. Since I always follow the QBs eyes, it was easy to see where the ball was going. The problem was stopping it...... :fire:

Physically, he isn't the biggest guy I've played against. That isn't to say it limits him at all. He plays very well and still puts a lot of zip behind the ball despite him being a little smaller than most would like him to be......

Boomer said:
Oh yeah....that 70 yard return vs Oregon State for 6....how good did that feel????

Haha, that play was sweet. For all the flack I get for my speed, they sure seemed to have a hard time catching me that day......

Boomer said:
With that game in mind, break down Derek Anderson for me from your wolf position point of view? He had a much better 2004 than his previous years. Wondered what you though of him and how you game planned him?

Haha, refresh my memory. Who is Derek Anderson......?

Boomer said:
Another question.....taking down Wes Welker when he was returning a punt for 6 when you were a junior....who knew he'd be our return man!! :)

And I hope you are going to give training camp a shot?

I always knew Wes was gonna be a good return man in the NFL. I just never knew he would go to Miami. As I've stated earlier, he isn't overly fast, but he is real quick. Real nice guy too......

I'm still debating my decision on training camp. The deadline is this Saturday, so I need to come to a decision quickly......

Baz said:
I always knew Wes was gonna be a good return man in the NFL. I just never knew he would go to Miami. As I've stated earlier, he isn't overly fast, but he is real quick. Real nice guy too......

I'm still debating my decision on training camp. The deadline is this Saturday, so I need to come to a decision quickly......

Baz! Baz! Baz! Baz!

I can't wait to chant your name on Sundays.... remember, you want a 10 million dollar signing bonus from anyone but the Dolphins.

Back
Top Bottom