***question For The Draft Experts*** | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***question For The Draft Experts***

BigNastyFish

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
First of all -- thanks for the wonderful research you guys put together!

It's very impressive!

So here's the question:

Since Miami has loaded up so much draft capital in 2020
what's your preliminary take on that draft class?

Specifically, does it look really deep and talented or just OK?

Thanks!

Next year will be a more offensively slanted draft. This one was more of a defensive draft. I believe a record 14 front seven defenders were just drafted in the 1st round.

QB, offensive skill positions, and DB look to be the most improved groups to me over this years class. However, I’d advise people not to make the mistake of assuming next year’s DE & EDGE class can’t hold up to this one. The DE/EDGE class next year might be even better than this year’s.

You’ll see my threads up in a week or two.

Echo those comments, not an expert, but I want to add that I keep hearing about fins having all these draft picks; which is fine but 4 out of their 6 additional picks are rds 4-7. Very low hit rate in those rounds. They have fire power to move around, but I’d like to see how they convert those picks into better picks before I get too excited.

Last edited:
Echo those comments, not an expert, but I want to add that I keep hearing about fins having all these draft picks; which is fine but 4 out of their 6 additional picks are rds 4-7. Very low hit rate in those rounds. They have fire power to move around, but I’d like to see how they convert those picks into better picks before I get too excited.

I suspect Miami will be flipping late draft picks for the next couple years.

Brian Flores is a wannabe GM who happens to be a good coach. Out of his own mouth, Flores broke into this business dreaming about building a team through the draft more than he considered coaching those draft picks.

What happened the last 3 days happened because someone finally values draft picks enough to trade them. Nothing transpired that wasn’t planned to death.

This is just the beginning.

Next year will be a more offensively slanted draft. This one was more of a defensive draft. I believe a record 14 front seven defenders were just drafted in the 1st round.

QB, offensive skill positions, and DB look to be the most improved groups to me over this years class. However, I’d advise people not to make the mistake of assuming next year’s DE & EDGE class can’t hold up to this one. The DE/EDGE class next year might be even better than this year’s.

You’ll see my threads up in a week or two.

There is a chance this will be a really good offensive tackle draft as well. Guys like Andrew Thomas of Georgia, Walker Little of Stanford, and one of my favorites that no one talks about in Tristan Wirfs from Iowa are all high level tackles.

If we are top 5 aand QB isn't on the menu (Rosen has a good season) chase young is an elite DE who I hear is better then Nick Bosa. There's also a couple potentially elite WRs. I'd go after 1 of the 2 if QB is out

Would love to see Miami do something similar to what Arizona did this year. Draft the top QB and add multiple WR's.

I disagree with that. I want Miami to take a top QB if Josh Rosen doesn't do well, but if Rosen comes out and lights it up, I'd rather go with a position player. What Arizona did this off season is beyond stupid. They hired a college coach who couldn't win in college even though he had Pat Mahomes at QB, and they then let him dictate their draft board to the point that they shoved Kyler Murray way up the board to be picked where he should not have been picked. They completely tanked Josh Rosen's value in a trade as a result. Their offseason is an example of what you do not want to do. That organization is a dumpster fire from the top down.

I disagree with that. I want Miami to take a top QB if Josh Rosen doesn't do well, but if Rosen comes out and lights it up, I'd rather go with a position player. What Arizona did this off season is beyond stupid. They hired a college coach who couldn't win in college even though he had Pat Mahomes at QB, and they then let him dictate their draft board to the point that they shoved Kyler Murray way up the board to be picked where he should not have been picked. They completely tanked Josh Rosen's value in a trade as a result. Their offseason is an example of what you do not want to do. That organization is a dumpster fire from the top down.
Not a fan of what theyve done in general. But they did two things correctly, the draft, and moving on quickly to another QB.

I'm was only addressing their draft - not the Kingsbury hire - but college is a different game than the NFL. In college, you can dominate with the run. You literally cannot do that in the NFL. In college, recruiting is as important as anything, and that's largely on the HC. That dynamic doesn't exist in the NFL. Kingsbury might be a bad NFL HC, but his struggles in college don't necessarily translate to the NFL. Also, with few exceptions, Texas Tech is always bad and has a recruiting disadvantage.

Regarding Murray, I couldn't disagree more, but we've discussed that in the months leading up to the draft. Murray has elite accuracy, feet, instincts, and arm talent. His inexperience is the biggest concern.

My post was about drafting an elite QB (again, agree to disagree) and drafting a group of talented WR's for him to grow with.

Kyler Murray's over. He's in the NFC (thankfully). Bad enough we have to deal with Patrick Mahomes in the AFC, and that god damn #12 hasn't retired yet.

We need that true #1 WR. Im kinda baffled we kept Parker. Hes obviously not that guy. Maybe Preston Williams is? I don't know what his ceiling is, I do know he was the #1 hs WR the year of recruitment

I like Wilson, Stills, and Grant as complementary players, and maybe Parker plays his way into that grouping, as well. I have a hard time counting on P. Williams, but I liked what he did on the field at Colorado State in 2018 enough to group him in my Top WR's to watch. It'd be great if he works out.

But, as nick noted, I don't think Miami has a receiver it can count on. I liked Harry and AJ Brown for Miami for that very reason.

Back
Top Bottom