***question For The Draft Experts*** | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***question For The Draft Experts***

I'll be honest. What Preston Williams did on the football field blew me away.

I've never seen Miami sign a UDFA that talented. Being a WR1 is in his wheelhouse.

He's so sudden, both at the line and on the hoof. So much tactical speed. He catches the football well. He Moss's people. He's great in transition to RAC. He challenges defenses vertically. He even blocks really well and seems to care about it. He wants to go out there and dominate every single snap in every way, and he succeeds.

He looks somewhere between DeAndre Hopkins, Josh Gordon, and A.J. Green on the football field. Big names, I know. But he gets open so easily at 6042 & 211 lbs, and he takes things that the defense didn't want to give so damn easily.

I've never seen Miami sign a UDFA that talented. Being a WR1 is in his wheelhouse.

He's so sudden, both at the line and on the hoof. So much tactical speed. He catches the football well. He Moss's people. He's great in transition to RAC. He challenges defenses vertically. He even blocks really well and seems to care about it. He wants to go out there and dominate every single snap in every way, and he succeeds.

He looks somewhere between DeAndre Hopkins, Josh Gordon, and A.J. Green on the football field. Big names, I know. But he gets open so easily at 6042 & 211 lbs, and he takes things that the defense didn't want to give so damn easily.

He reminded me of Josh Gordon, too, and if the other variables work out, he can be really good. I do think that's a relatively big IF, though. Keeping in mind that I was only highlighting positives, this is what I had to say about him toward the end of November.

Preston Williams

Big receiver with long arms
Smooth for his size
With excellent burst
Excels creating separation deep
And over the middle
Uses frame well
Catches the ball away from his body
Plucks the ball out of the air
Excellent release/tough to jam
Best on deep and in-breaking routes

Played outside and out of the slot at Colorado State
Does best work outside
But can be a deep threat from the slot

Track background
Georgia Long Jump state champ, runner up in Triple Jump
Class of 2015
Received offers from Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, etc. (basically everyone)
Originally signed to, and attended, Tennessee
Before being suspended and transferring

96 catches, 1,345 yards, and 14 TD's in 2018
Accounted for 37% of Colorado State's receiving yards in 2018

Similar style to Josh Gordon

I disagree with that. I want Miami to take a top QB if Josh Rosen doesn't do well, but if Rosen comes out and lights it up, I'd rather go with a position player. What Arizona did this off season is beyond stupid. They hired a college coach who couldn't win in college even though he had Pat Mahomes at QB, and they then let him dictate their draft board to the point that they shoved Kyler Murray way up the board to be picked where he should not have been picked. They completely tanked Josh Rosen's value in a trade as a result. Their offseason is an example of what you do not want to do. That organization is a dumpster fire from the top down.

I disagree on Kingsbury, his problem was his defense in college. A lot of teams are implementing the air raid offense in the NFL today and there's probably no one that knows it better than Kingsbury.... other than a certain swashbuckling pirate up in the northwest.

He reminded me of Josh Gordon, too, and if the other variables work out, he can be really good. I do think that's a relatively big IF, though. Keeping in mind that I was only highlighting positives, this is what I had to say about him toward the end of November.

I almost never say this and when I do it's because I have something discrete I can point to, but I think people slept on him because of pro day results that do not match his physical capabilities, and/or were misinterpreted.

I have Preston Williams in my top ten acquisitions of the entire off season.

I almost never say this and when I do it's because I have something discrete I can point to, but I think people slept on him because of pro day results that do not match his physical capabilities, and/or were misinterpreted.

I have Preston Williams in my top ten acquisitions of the entire off season.

I think it was his Pro Day numbers and the reports that a lot of teams took him off their boards for character issues. Given his track background, people expected him to test well, and he performed poorly overall, which was an indictment on his dedication more than his physical ability. Given the questions about his character, it amounted to, 'OK, wtf is this guy's deal?' As an UDFA, he's pretty exciting, but he's definitely two birds in the bush for me.

I think it was his Pro Day numbers and the reports that a lot of teams took him off their boards for character issues. Given his track background, people expected him to test well, and he performed poorly overall, which was an indictment on his dedication more than his physical ability. Given the questions about his character, it amounted to, 'OK, wtf is this guy's deal?' As an UDFA, he's pretty exciting, but he's definitely two birds in the bush for me.

It could have been his dedication to training, but I read that his trainer said that his results were about in-line with what he had been doing in training, and thus I imagine it could also have been something else.

He showed at the pro day that he has elite top speed for a 6'4" receiver.

I disagree on Kingsbury, his problem was his defense in college. A lot of teams are implementing the air raid offense in the NFL today and there's probably no one that knows it better than Kingsbury.... other than a certain swashbuckling pirate up in the northwest.

Teams have implemented some concepts from the Air Raid, but no team has been foolish enough to try and run a full fledge Air Raid system in the NFL.

Spurrier tried to run his offense in the NFL and it didn't work because you can't run 5 man protections predominantly in the NFL. These DC's that have been around the block a few too many times will blitz and exploit the weaknesses in your protections. You can't block DE's in the NFL with your runningback and expect your QB to survive the season.

The Air Raid presents the same protection issues. The route concepts and reading coverages on the fly are what translates to the NFL. Certainly not the protections. You typically see the results of it against SEC defenses.

Spurrier tried to run his offense in the NFL and it didn't work because you can't run 5 man protections predominantly in the NFL. These DC's that have been around the block a few too many times will blitz and exploit the weaknesses in your protections. You can't block DE's in the NFL with your runningback and expect your QB to survive the season.

The Air Raid presents the same protection issues. The route concepts and reading coverages on the fly are what translates to the NFL. Certainly not the protections. You typically see the results of it against SEC defenses.

Yep. There is a reason no SEC team runs the Air Raid offense. The athleticism and physicality of the defenders in the SEC are too much for the spatial concepts of the Air Raid. Arizona is about to figure out that wide OL splits will not work in the NFL.

I'd also add passing on base downs. But, I agree that if KK comes out in 4 and 5 WR sets, he'll limit the offense and put Murray at risk. Passing out of 12 and 21 on base downs is typically more efficient than passing out of various spread looks. Though, play action works about as well from 3-WR looks.

Kid easily looked like the BEST PLAYER on the field -- kinda man among boys.

Love the attitude he plays with.

If he doesn't "wilt" at the NFL level he could be really special.

Certainly looking forward to seeing his game in Miami.

I wish it was like the old days when I could go and watch every TC practice.
>>> just to keep my eyes on him and see what goes down...

People forget that Kliff Kingsbury played for the New England Patriots and is tight with Josh McDaniels and several other NFL offensive coordinators. He ran what he thought would work in college. Kingsbury was very much the leading name to replace Josh McDaniels in New England if McDaniels had gone off to be head coach somewhere.

This is not a guy that's just going to roll out a straight up Hal Mumme offense in the NFL.

They signed Charles Clay in the off season. They have Ricky Seals-Jones. They took Caleb Wilson in the draft. They're going to be an 11-personnel team, most likely. Just like virtually every other team in the National Football League.

Back
Top Bottom