Question From My Dolphins Fb Group... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question From My Dolphins Fb Group...

Would you trade the '72 season for a Super Bowl victory within the next 5 years?

• Total voters
No chance. For one thing, the premise is pure fear. I realize fear is immensely popular these days but I don't share it.

To give up something you already have -- the most unique and legendary accomplishment in American team sports -- toward something you might attain anyway without giving anything up, is pure stupidity. I don't know any other way to put it. The Dolphins could be a dynasty in 5 years. Immense underdog status on that one but I'm sure as heck not going to diminish the history of the franchise as substitute.

I don't think the remainder of my lifespan will include another Dolphins championship. I saw 1972 as a season ticket holder when I was 13 years old. Obviously I cherish every memory, as I've detailed here many times. But even if the titles and perfect season happened before I was born I would understand the significance. That's why I've had so many fascinating talks with people who saw things before my time, like Jim Brown's career or early Cassius Clay or Ben Hogan or great racehorses like Count Fleet and Citation. Non-sports also but I'll leave that out.

The notion that somebody is living in the present via this poll is most laughable of all. No, you are terrified of the future.
You are overthinking this...

The premise is simple...

Trade the '72 season for a DEFINITE Super Bowl win in the present. There is no "fear/terror" involved because the scenario involves two DEFINITES. The question is basically phrased to include those of us who weren't around for the '72 season.

It's very similar to a question that was asked of Eagles fans in regards to which was more important to them...their two NFL championships, or their recent Super Bowl.

Its not mine to trade.

This guy has it nailed.

I have it on excellent authority (trust me) that after the last undefeated team falls, the 72 boys DO NOT all get together and party. A few might, but most do not.

However, they all take it VERY seriously, and celebrate in some way.

And I assure you, my source is as reliable as it gets.

It ain’t ours to trade. Or wish away.

It’s too unique of an accomplishment and it is synonymous with Shula and what was a great dynasty from 1970-1985. Five SB appearances in there and 6 conference title tries (5 successful). I agree w brother Awsi that it not only makes this franchise unique, it is perhaps the most unique accomplishment in all of American team sports. I’d rather hope for next year every year before I give that up. And it doesn’t matter to me if one saw it or not - it happened and it never happened prior nor since - like 80+ years of pro football in America and only one team pulled off the ultimate feat - perfection. I do understand the poll and the temptation to vote “yes” but for me it’s just too symbolic and special.

Not a chance would I and I was born 10 years after the 72 season...it means a lot to this franchise and helped build the Shula mystique...Shula can still say he is the only head coach in League history to go undefeated...

Trading with the devil to remove 1972 undefeated season for a current superbowl.???? :nuke:

Not a chance in Hades.

I wasn’t alive in 1972 so that team has nothing to do with my fandom. I’d trade that year AND 1973 for a SB win I can witness.

Back
Top Bottom