Question: How do you balance the cap if these draft picks pan out? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Question: How do you balance the cap if these draft picks pan out?

mwestberry

Club Member
Reaction score
I know nothing with regard to how the cap actually works (except for the obvious) ...

If these picks we have pan out and are actually worth keeping how will the team be able to resign guys that have their contracts expire at the same time?

It seems like (I guess) a good problem to have with several starters playing 3-4 years to contribute or excel but then …?

Just curious so don't hate on me lol

I know nothing with regard to how the cap actually works (except for the obvious) ...

If these picks we have pan out and are actually worth keeping how will the team be able to resign guys that have their contracts expire at the same time?

It seems like (I guess) a good problem to have with several starters playing 3-4 years to contribute or excel but then …?

Just curious so don't hate on me lol

Well first Odds are they wont all pan out. Obviously the one you need to pan out is the QB. and of course he gets extended. Then the rest also, the way you balance the cap is with different terms. all your picks after the first round contracts will expire before the 1st round Rookie deals. And then you have the 5th year option on all the first rounders, if you go in history since rookie cap and look there are a good amount of 1st rounders that 5th round options dont get picked up.

So lets say you have a 1st, 5th and 20th picks in the first

Tua is your first and panning out, he will get extended likely prior to even needing the 5th year option
An OT that you take with the 5th is playing lights out he also could get extended before 5th year.

That DE that is taken with the 20th waits a year and has his 5th year option picked up.

It is really easy to balance it but history says really only 30-40% of your picks will pan out. That is why they say a great draft is three starters. 3/7 = 42%.

So using that 58% of your picks next year will not warrant a second contract

Definitely a good problem to have. I can only imagine at this point. My thinking is along the line of what the Rams are doing. They've really put themselves in the corner cap- wise. They just paid GOFF & GURLEY (neither being homerun types, IMO) to really fat contracts & now will have to fork over a lot more to keep RAMSEY. They're F%CKED!!!

We can't do what the Rams are doing.

My thinking is if we have 3-4 players all coming up for big 2nd contracts, obviously the QB gets paid. Then I think we have to make a tough choice, we can't pay all of them at the same time. If there is a CB or DE, you pay him! If he's a RB or S, I'll need to find a trade partner & continue on that great yellow brick road of acquiring draft picks.

Well the salary cap increases every single year and even if all the picks pan out it's not like they're all going to be all pro caliber players. Also we should be coming off the books from the X contract just in time for more cap space, not to mention Reshad Jones contract will be off the books by 2023.

If all the picks this year pan out and we end up with 1-2 elite players while the rest are solid starters I don't think it would be that to fit them all under the cap. If we're smart we won't wait until the final year to resign most so we can get a bit of a discount.

You can extend some early like we did not with Jarvis Laundry and spread out the hit if we are fortunate enough to have this problem. Of couse with our history of missing under Grier our bigger issue will be over paying in free agency.

Well the salary cap increases every single year and even if all the picks pan out it's not like they're all going to be all pro caliber players. Also we should be coming off the books from the X contract just in time for more cap space, not to mention Reshad Jones contract will be off the books by 2023.

If all the picks this year pan out and we end up with 1-2 elite players while the rest are solid starters I don't think it would be that to fit them all under the cap. If we're smart we won't wait until the final year to resign most so we can get a bit of a discount.

Exactly. Extendable players aren't all All-Pro

_zuywh.gif

Back
Top Bottom