quick an easy no explanation, my 2014 offseason, please post yours. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

quick an easy no explanation, my 2014 offseason, please post yours.

Patterson's cap hit next year is $5.4 mil ($5.3 mil with a $100,000 roster bonus). When you consider how good he was when healthy, it is not a lot of money for a high quality starting corner. It seems every thread I read with a plan for the offseason, wants to cut him. He might be willing to restructure, but there is no way I would let him go. Imagine a secondary with him, Grimes and a further developed L. Taylor and W. Davis (I personally think Taylor is going to be very good). With Tom Brady still in NE, The Jests probably upgrading their WR corps, and Buff on the rise, it makes sense to have as many good corners as you can.

THIS! Patterson tied for the team lead in INTs and missed half the season (if I'm not mistaking). If anything, I would try to convince him to take a bit of a pay cut, but he was playing at a very high level for us in spite of playing injured when he WAS on the field. His injury issues would give us some leverage in negotiating a new deal to lower his cap hit. But cutting him outright, IMO, wouldn't be smart. For the money he is making right now, replacing him in free agency would be much more expensive. And given our O-line needs, it isn't feasible that we would acquire a quality replacement in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom