Quinn & Russell vs. Top Defenses | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quinn & Russell vs. Top Defenses

Though the way Brady Quinn worked hard and tested in his agility and speed drills, the guy is as athletic as most linebackers, safeties...and heck, even some corners and wide receivers.

:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:
Welcome to Quinnheaven everyone, where fact and fiction are never confused. Come to think of it, we don't even bother with the facts; much easier that way.

CK, I know athleticism is hard to measure, but could you please provide us with some stats on Brady Quinn's athleticism, say compared to others such as Russell...and maybe a few of those linebackers, safeties and corners you meantioned? I'm curious, if not bored.

Welcome to Quinnheaven everyone, where fact and fiction are never confused. Come to think of it, we don't even bother with the facts; much easier that way.

CK, I know athleticism is hard to measure, but could you please provide us with some stats on Brady Quinn's athleticism, say compared to others such as Russell...and maybe a few of those linebackers, safeties and corners you meantioned? I'm curious, if not bored.

I know you don't really do facts, so this may frighten you.

Quinn's numbers on tests to measure his athletic ability were:
40: 4.73
SShuttle: 4.22
Differential: .51
3 Cone: 6.79
Vertical: 36
BJ: 9'7

DB's:
That forty would put him ahead of Tyrone Brackenridge, Daymeion Hughes, JD Nelson, Marcus Paschal, Leonard Peters, Ryan Smith and Chaz Williams.

The short shuttle puts him ahead of Gerald Alexander, Anthony Arline, Fred Bennett, Tyrone Brackenridge, Tarell Brown, Michael Coe, Duane Coleman, Craig Dahl, Josh Gattis, CJ Gaddis, Dashon Goldson, Chris Houston, Daymeion Hughes, David Irons, Tanard Jackson, Michael Johnson, Trumaine McBride, Brandon McDonald, Brandon Meriweather, JD Nelson, Marcus Paschal, Kevin Payne, Daren Stone, Jonathan Wade, Josh Wilson, and eric Wright.

The differential that you're looking for in an elite athlete is a .50+ gap. Quinn has that.

The 3 cone puts him ahead of Gerald Alexander, Anthony Arline, Tarell Brown, Duane Coleman, eric Frampton, CJ Gaddis, Dashon Goldson, Chris Houston, Daymeion Hughes, David Irons, Tanard Jackson, Michael Johnson, Reggie Lewis, Trumaine McBride, Brandon's McDonald and Meriweather, JD Nelson, Marcus Paschal, Kevin Payne, Leonard Peters, Daren Stone, Jonathan Wade, eric Weddle, John Wendling, Josh Wilson and eric Wright.

The vertical puts him ahead of Anthony Arline, Tarell Brown, Michael Coe, Duane Coleman, Craig Dahl, eric Frampton, Josh Gattis, Dashon Goldson, Chris Houston, Daymeion Hughes, David Irons, Tanard Jackson, Michael Johnson, Reggie Lewis, Trumaine McBride, Marcus McCauley, Brandon's McDonald and Meriweather, JD Nelson, Marcus Paschal, Kevin Payne, Leonard Peters, Sabby Piscitelli, Aaron's Ross and Rouse, Bo Smith, eric Weddle, Marvin White, Chaz Williams, Josh Wilson and CJ Wilson.

The broad jump puts him ahead of Tarell Brown, Duane Coleman, CJ Gaddis, Dashon Goldson, Daymeion Hughes, David Irons, Michael Johnson, Brandon Meriwvather, JD Nelson, Kevin Payne, Leonard Peters, Aaron Ross, Weddle, and Chaz Williams.

These are the paramaters by which the NFL measures athleticism, and if you look, there's a lot of the same names showing up. By the leagues OWN parameters, you could say that Quinn is more athletic than:

Tarell Brown, Tyrone Brackenridge, Daymeion Hughes, Leonard Peters, Marcus Paschal, Chaz Williams, David Irons, Dashon Goldson, Brandon Meriweather etc.

Not sure there's much point showing you up by doing the linebackers.

Posts #29 and #42 were saying that the first post had no statistical merit for comparison between 2 QB's since the defences were different, etc. Go back and read them again.
The first post does have merit if you take it as just Brady Quinn's performances against good defences and what it proves is that he plays pretty damn well against good defences but his supporting cast sucks, that's why his team loses.
Last time I checked Brady Quinn only plays the QB spot for Notre Dame, I'm pretty sure their are 21 other starters (23 if you count the kicker and punter but they aren't real football players :)) out there that have something to do with the outcome of the game as well.

Stop it, don't you know that PhinPhan comes from the Jay Fiedler school of philosophy regarding quarterbacks?

The quarterback is the sole determining factor in winning and losing football games, W/L record tells you all you need to know about how good a QB is.

......All this study was meant to show was that if you're going to go with that criticism against Brady Quinn, you have to recognize that the criticism is just as sharp, if not sharper, against Jamarcus Russell. That's it.

OK, well, in that case, I would have to agree with you 100%!

P.S.

I still don't understand why there aren't more people pushing for Troy Smith!!!

GO PHINS~!

CK...Not causing trouble here with you...but I could care less that Quinn is ripped....can lift...or has decent speed...the only things that matter is his accuracy and his thought process as a QB. No one will ever think of Marino as Mr. Universe...but they will always remember him as the greatest QB to ever throw a football...and we all know he was the 27th selection in the 83 draft...I'll bet even Shula didn't know what he had in Marino, until he showed he had "it" at training camp.

CK...Not causing trouble here with you...but I could care less that Quinn is ripped....can lift...or has decent speed...the only things that matter is his accuracy and his thought process as a QB. No one will ever think of Marino as Mr. Universe...but they will always remember him as the greatest QB to ever throw a football...and we all know he was the 27th selection in the 83 draft...I'll bet even Shula didn't know what he had in Marino, until he showed he had "it" at training camp.

That isn't true. Every quarterback is only as good as he trains and prepares. He has enough accuracy and arm strength and he reads the field pre-snap as well as anyone.

What the athletic measurements show, is how hard he works to excel at whatever is put before him. He doesn't just wake up, slap on a pair of jeans, and put some high talent defensive backs to shame with the agility and speed measurements.

He did it through hard work, buckets of sweat and tireless hours. And why work so hard to do well in that stuff when it isn't really important for a QB? Because if he's going to do it, he might as well do it well. His standards won't allow him to do poorly so he prepares for everything he's going to do.

That's what you're looking for in a quarterback. No quarterback walks out onto the field and does well just because he's talented. Some do, but only for a short time. The guys that have consistent success are the ones that are freakishly hard workers. Brady Quinn has that going for him.

That isn't true. Every quarterback is only as good as he trains and prepares. He has enough accuracy and arm strength and he reads the field pre-snap as well as anyone.

What the athletic measurements show, is how hard he works to excel at whatever is put before him. He doesn't just wake up, slap on a pair of jeans, and put some high talent defensive backs to shame with the agility and speed measurements.

He did it through hard work, buckets of sweat and tireless hours. And why work so hard to do well in that stuff when it isn't really important for a QB? Because if he's going to do it, he might as well do it well. His standards won't allow him to do poorly so he prepares for everything he's going to do.

That's what you're looking for in a quarterback. No quarterback walks out onto the field and does well just because he's talented. Some do, but only for a short time. The guys that have consistent success are the ones that are freakishly hard workers. Brady Quinn has that going for him.

The HOF is full of QB's that didn't have speed....didn't have ripped bodies...and many didn't have the ideal height or body fat....but they all had something in common...they knew what to do with the football and when to do it.

The HOF is full of QB's that didn't have speed....didn't have ripped bodies...and many didn't have the ideal height or body fat....but they all had something in common...they knew what to do with the football and when to do it.

As does Brady Quinn, so your point here is...................?

I read your posts and the impossible happens...I start to like Quinn even more.

You know what?

Can't we just accept that this is all an inexact science, and appreciate CK taking the time to do a breakdown, to give us all something to chew on in these long days, waiting for the draft to occur?

If you have something you can back up with your own analysis to add to the discussion......fine, but some of this seems rather petty to me.

In the end, whether a college player succeeds or not in the pros is never guaranteed by his college numbers, we all know that, In my view CK is simply giving us all something more to talk about regarding our passion we call the Miami Dolphins, and we really don't need pseudo-intellects to attack his post with words like "flawed logic" or "lacking statistical merit" to know that the NFL draft is a crapshoot.
:yeahthat:

I found CK's post to be very enjoyable and thought provoking. Certainly much better than what we get when reading the hacks that write/report for the major sports publications/networks.

Stop it, don't you know that PhinPhan comes from the Jay Fiedler school of philosophy regarding quarterbacks?

The quarterback is the sole determining factor in winning and losing football games, W/L record tells you all you need to know about how good a QB is.
I don't venture much outside of the VIP forum, so thanks for the tip, I'll bear that in mind when replying. :)

Push it nothing, check out Boomer's post.

Hughes was a 4.65 in his forty so I do not know where that 4.72 came from unless scouts.com is off.

There are other measures to athleticism I was envisioning. Things such as how fluid his movements his are compared to a cornerback. Quinn has them beat, it's just was I thinking of a different type of athletic. For example I can't imagine Quinn even if he had the instincts to do so becoming a cornerback. Just a strange fit...

On the field I didn't see him playing like the fantastic numbers he had at the combine, but maybe the man just trained beyond belief. I was honestly surprised that Stanton who seemed like the better athlete would show that off. Not quite, I underestimated Brady Quinn...

Numbers though... Buh-Bye cornerbacks:cooldude:

Back
Top Bottom