R.I.P John Madden | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

R.I.P John Madden

Irreplaceable
Great Coach, great commentator (the Madden bus, the telestrator, boom) great author and the game named after him.
He meant different things to different generations but damn the guy was good at all of them. Legend
It’s said a lot when folks die but he’ll be missed, thank you for everything big John, the voice of football.
Rest In Peace
"Coaching isn't work," Madden said. "It's more than a job. It's a way of life. ... No one should go into coaching unless he couldn't live without it. ... Football is what I am. I didn't go into it to make a living or because I enjoyed it. There is much more to it than just enjoying it. I am totally consumed by football, totally involved. I'm not into gardening ... or any other hobbies. I don't fish or hunt. I'm in football."

"People always ask, are you a coach or a broadcaster or a video game guy?" he said when was elected to the Hall of Fame. "I'm a coach, always been a coach."

Last edited:
For all of those too young to remember John Madden the Coach here are some of his stats:

Appointed Head Coach of the Oakland Raiders in 1969. At the time he was 32 yeas old and was the youngest HC in the AFL (that's right AFL).
10 years as HC of the Raiders.
103 wins, 32 losses, 7 ties for a winning percentage of .759. The highest percentage, in the NFL, among all coaches with at least 100 games.
Never had a losing season as HC of Raiders.
Coach of the year in 1969.
Won SB XI, in 1976, with a 32-14 win over the Minnesota Vikings after going 13-1 only losing to the Patsies.

RIP Big John

I traveled to Denver for a football game and we seen his bus outside the stadium , he had a crowd of fans talking with him at the door .
He was answering a old Raider Question about run run jones.
My wife asked me who that was , I had remembered years prior madden talking of that older gentlemen that worked for the Raiders, he would even run out and get the tee after a kickoff.
I never spoke to him but being twenty feet away is a cherished memory.

Sad not only for the NFL but the sport in general. John lived and breathed football like no else I have ever known. I met him several years ago(Will try to scrounge up the picture) and he was an extremely nice, sociable person. For me and a lot of kids over the years, he made us love football with how he described the game and his excitement for it.

RIP Coach. If you see Coach Shula up there, tell him all of us Dolphins fans miss him tremendously🙂

Back
Top Bottom