R. Smith vs D. James | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

R. Smith vs D. James

I'm not sold on smith. Seems like he get washed out at the line a lot. He can't really hang inside. I like tremaine Edmunds more. He will actually be able to handle shedding blocks. Plus he has amazing instincts that always have him in the right place. McMillan has that trait as well. That would be nice.

I also wouldnt mind taking a look at the other VT Edmunds, his brother Terrell, who is a safety. Both are great players. VT had a really amazing defense last season. You should always try to grab players from defenses that good.
We're seeing two different things with Smith. From the games I've watched I don't see him getting washed out very much at all, he's actually pretty good at getting around blockers, or beating them to the spot and uses his arms well. The pproblem with Smith is I see a Lot of false steps and bad initial reads. He's so gifted athletically he's still usually around the ball. I've seen him quite a few times bite on the PA fake, and/or misread the play entirely then all of a sudden notice there's a RB flaring out to the sideline and in seemingly in the blink of an eye he's out there in good coverage. There isn't a player currently on our roster who can do that. I do think he'll take himself out of some plays though with all of his bad reads.

He's probably being asked to do too much. He's miscast at MLB. His best position, where we would likely play him is WLB.

This is a really great question.

I think I go with Derwin James and ultimately you just have to take a step back and realize we're talking about two guys that are around the same size except one is an oversized defensive back that has the legit athleticism to play that position whereas the other is an undersized linebacker who has shown the physicality in college needed to make up for his lack of size. One is taking advantage of a plus, the other trying to compensate for a minus.

That doesn't mean Roquan won't be an amazing player, but you're trying to minimize your risks and maximize your potential for getting a hall of fame caliber player. For that I think you take Derwin.

Back
Top Bottom