Raider fan here... I'll trade you Beck for Russell! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Raider fan here... I'll trade you Beck for Russell!

your telling me you would rather have john beck then a 6'6 260 pound qb with a cannon for an arm? there was a reason why this guy was drafted #1 overall. russel is like 4 years younger than beck anyway!!!

I could care less about his ht and wt. Jim Druckenmiller was big and had a cannon for an arm. Big deal.
Russel was drafted no. 1 overall because of physcial dimensions, but he didn't have a long resume' as a starter.
Many draft mistakes have been made by drafting Jr QB's without showing several yrs of consistency.
Do you remember Akili Smith (big, strong, athletic) who had one really good yr at Oregon and then drafted in the top 10.
Alex Smith is another QB who had a really good Jr yr then came out early. He's looking more and more like a bust each season. This is a pivotal yr for him.

I'm almost as low on Russell as I was on Vince Young coming out of college. Big dumb quarterbacks aren't going to win you titles. I can tell by listening to them talk in press conferences that they will never be great quarterbacks.

I'll keep Beck.

i didnt think that players came to this website much but nice to meet you john beck, just kidding i would still like to see him play with a real team around him

Bottom line: it was a dire situation and putting Cleo back under center last season was akin to having Stevie Wonder relieve Ray Charles as the designated driver of the local Braille Institute chapter field trip

thats good dude, real good....on topic i'm already on record in various posts being a beck fan. i like the kid and think he'll stick and eventually be very good, here's to optimism

I actually read from a website that is well respected that they thought Beck and Trent Edwards would have better careers than brady quinn and Jamarcus Russell. The thing that separates Beck/Edwards from the rest of last years class was their decision making. WE will see if they are r ight..They were right that Ahmad Bradshaw of the Giants would be a good RB in the NFL and also r ight about little known MIKE BELL of the Broncos

I personally thought that Edwards was probably going to be the best Qb in the draft but of course I was told I knew nothing on this site. Over time I could be wrong but he was easily the best looking of any of the rookie Qb's.

Personally Id love to have Russel's potential over Becks anyday. Let alone he is 4 years younger!!!

Just wondering...how much leadership did Beck show when his teammates wanted Lemon instead of him?

Actually fishy, it later came out that the Vets wanted Beck all along. They were upset that he was pulled so early. I think that says it all.

how are you going to trade us beck? or not even you, how are the raidas going to trade us beck for russel?/ i think you meant : raiders fan here i'll trade you russell for beck... and btw, i would do it 100 times out of 100.

I think Russel has a lot of potential and this wouldn't be a good trade for my Rival to the North.

Although for some reason i am hoping he turns out to be a flop.... as my aviator suggests i am slightly biased though.

good post and welcome
i too agree i really like beck, he just needs some help and he will get it with bill here

Bottom line: it was a dire situation and putting Cleo back under center last season was akin to having Stevie Wonder relieve Ray Charles as the designated driver of the local Braille Institute chapter field trip

thats good dude, real good....on topic i'm already on record in various posts being a beck fan. i like the kid and think he'll stick and eventually be very good, here's to optimism

And Beck played lights out; oh, but you have excuse after excuse for Beck. Lemon played with a differnt team from Beck. Beck's horrible play can be balmed on the oline, receivers, coaches, inexperience, etc. Lemon on the other hand was given one shot and in your opinion didn't deserve it because he's not a protypical dolphins qb.

I am a Raider fan, so let's just get this first statement out of the way. My team sucks! I don't know why I am a fan. It's just in my blood. It was drilled into me from my early childhood, and it's just something that I can't get out of my system, no matter how retarded Al Davis is.

The only other team I care about at this point is the Dolphins. I have become a Dolphin fan since John Beck was drafted. Truth is, I followed the Dolphins more this year that I did the Raiders. You probably don't care who I am or what I think, but I wanted to share some observations with you.

First off, Miami fans are VERY loyal. Much like Raider fans, you have had little to chear about for a long time, and I feel your pain. Your loyalty to your team, and some players like Zach Thomas is impressive.

The one thing that I don't understand is how quickly you give up on new blood. Since John Beck is the reason I am now a fan, I will use him as my example. I simply don't understand the harsh criticism that he recieves by many on this site. As a lifelong fan of the game, I can only attribute the criticism of John to a lack of understanding of the game and it's history. Truth is, it's not about John Beck. It's about the position and understanding the tools needed to be a star at this position. John Beck has the tools. What he needs is an O Line to protect him and the experience to develop those tools. He had neither last year. What he needs is a fan base that understands what it will take to develop a quaterback and the patience to build a team around one. I have watched Miami fans run every quaterback since Marino out of town before really giving them a chance to succeed. Granted, you have had some duds, but even the ones that showed promised were cast aside far too easily, despite not having a good supporting cast.

To the critics that say John Beck showed nothing last year, I can only laugh. Statiscally, he was as good or better than the opposing quarterbacks he played against. No the Dolphins didn't win, but he did more with what he had to work with than any other Dolphin QB. The play calling was horrible when he was in and he had very little to work with. All things considered, he did very well. Look at the numbers, they don't lie. Stop letting emotion cloud your view of the facts. Was he perfect? Absolutely not. He made plenty of mistakes, but he did show the ability to rise above them and he never let them affect him mentally. The last game of the year showed that he is a real gamer and that he will not let adversity get him down.

The question is, would I be saying these things if it were anyone other than John Beck? Yes I would, if we were talking about someone else with the same skills set, dedication and work ethic. In fact, I would be willing to trade quarterbacks with you any day. Russel will be a bust! He has some physical tools, but the guy is as dumb as they come and it takes smarts to excell in the NFL. Did you catch his interview during the BCS Championship game? As a Raider fan, I am sick that we wasted a pick on him. There is no way he will be a great NFL QB. He will be another head case with skills, like Michael Vick or Vincy Young. John Beck on the other hand will, if you give him the time, and a supporting cast.

My last point is about Matt Ryan, or any other so-called elite college QB. What makes you so sure he will be successfull? Have you looked at the statistics? VERY few of the top college QB's ever really make it in the NFL. Most of them end up as mediocre talent, like Vince Young is proving himself to be. Some end up as complete busts, like Ryan Leaf or Joey Harrington. There is a reason Bill Parcells doesn't waste first round draft picks on Quarterbacks... they rarely pan out. The gems are usually found in the later rounds. They are the lesser known stars that developed themselves through hard work and dedication to improvement. They don't get caught up in themselves and they have a true love of the game. Finally, they are students of the game and they are supported throughout their development.

Don't look for Parcells to give in to fan sentiment by picking Matt Ryan. It won't happen. If John Beck is not his guy, so be it. John will be a success somewhere in this league. I hope it is with the Dolphins (or Raiders), but he will succeed nevertheless. The point is, if you don't have John, you have a veteran next year running the offense. You will not have Matt Ryan.

Simply put, Bill Parcells is smarter than you. And for your sake, I say "Thank God for that".

[mod] Opposing teams' fans are more than welcome here at www.dolphinsnation.com, especially if they come with an unbiased objective and aren't smack talkers. [/mod]

Back
Top Bottom