Randy Mueller for GM | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Randy Mueller for GM

Ohiophinphan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness" I think it was Demosthenes who was supposed to have said that but whoever it is a valid point on this darkest day of the northern hemisphere (also no moon, a sign???) As we talk about whether Wanny or Speilman or Fiedler, et al remain perhaps we ought spend more time on who comes after. At this point the only option at GM, Coach, and/or QB that excites me is Mueller. I thought he did a great job of reconstructing the New Orleans franchise after Ditka destyroyed it. I think the new era needs to start with him. Your thoughts?

What is wrong with Spielman? He seems to have done a good job in his limited capacity. Why not promote from within?

Mueller was a great GM for New Orleans. I think Mueller would make a great GM for the Dolphins.

Exactly...

Originally posted by Samphin
What is wrong with Spielman? He seems to have done a good job in his limited capacity. Why not promote from within?

What's wrong with Speilman. It's been rumored as well as I had a hunch that Wanny wanted Moore and Speilman wanted Boldin and it looks like that's the case. WH doesn't need to look further than his own front office to find a GM. Rick has been a hard ball, his personell decisions and negotiations have kept us competitive during his tenure, and I'd bet, giving the power to hire/fire coaches and have the ultimate say on personell issues, he could put together a sick offense with the limited resources and cap space we have. I hope WH promotes Speilman and let's him pick a HC. I'm sure he's make a better decision than WH.

btw, with the glut of coaches that will be fired this offeseason and the glut of teams that will be looking for a new HC, I hope Wayne makes a decision sooner than later. Atlanta is going to be in a great position for the offseason, because their front office is already taking shape with the hiring of McKay.

Mueller

Would be great as well, because he's really picked up some good talent during his tenure with the Saints, however that organization is in shambles. The only slight that I would give Mueller or any GM as opposed to Speilman is lack of familiarity with the existing personell.

Speilman has a better handle on who should go, and who stays from both a salary and performance standpoint, plus his experience dealing with our players and their agents helps him with negotiations.

maybe someone new wouldn't allow a personal relationship get in the way of contract negotiations.....

....just a thought. Spielman has done a good job but isn't ready for the spotlight of a full-fledged GM. Wanny's personnel decisions (historically) have beed mediocre and if someone else assumes full control of this, we need someone with more experience and a better track record. Our window is closing with the current team, and we need to do something in the next 2 years and also start building for beyond that.

IMO, the Saints are very similar to the Dolphins. Lots of talent, not-so-great coaching, flop every December. Take a look at the Saints's records the last four years and compare them with the Dolphins'. I believe the only real difference is that the Dolphins had a significantly better record in 2001 and made the play-offs, although both teams flopped in December anyway (Saints were 7-5 before losing their last 4, Dolphins were in the driver's seat at 9-3 before giving away the division to the Pats). But other than that: 2000: Don't remember the Saints record, but they won their division, got the the third seed, barely won in the first round and got pounded in the second round (virtually identical the Dolphins). 2002: I believe at one point the Saints were 9-4 and right there with the Bucs (especially because they beat Tampa twice) only to lose their last three and miss the play-offs (we all know what happened to the Dolphins). And now, this year, both teams eliminated from play-off contention with a week to go.

It was Randy Mueller who sigend Dale Carter (who was 31 at the time) to a 7-year, $26.855 million contract last spring (2002). Carter had played in exactly 8 games since his prior year-long suspension (his fourth offense). Two months later, Mueller was fired. Two months after that, Carter violated the NFL's Drug/Substance abuse policy for the fifth time. He played in 6 games last year.

This year, he has been injured and only played in 8 games. Carter is on IR now.

At the time of the signing, everyone thought it was nuts. And it turned that way. Could we expect similar signings in Miami?? This was Mueller's quote after the Carter signing.....

"We targeted Dale as a priority in free agency, since we needed a strong, proven player at cornerback. Dale brings that," Saints general manager Randy Mueller said. "We believe that he is the best available cornerback in free agency."

Yes, but he had significant baggage. He was going thru a bankruptcy trial (which was getting messy with the Broncos). He'd had drug problems. He was 31. How could he be the only person not to see this as a risk??

If you're refering to the OG situation

Originally posted by jbond
maybe someone new wouldn't allow a personal relationship get in the way of contract negotiations.....

....just a thought. Spielman has done a good job but isn't ready for the spotlight of a full-fledged GM. Wanny's personnel decisions (historically) have beed mediocre and if someone else assumes full control of this, we need someone with more experience and a better track record. Our window is closing with the current team, and we need to do something in the next 2 years and also start building for beyond that.

Then I think you're off... OG came back and made a few plays for us on third down but hasn't been much of a factor and furthermore we ended up signing him in preseason for him to show up out of shape and ultimately getting hurt. I think RS/Wanny made a great call on the OG situation.

Originally posted by Muck
It was Randy Mueller who sigend Dale Carter (who was 31 at the time) to a 7-year, $26.855 million contract last spring (2002). Carter had played in exactly 8 games since his prior year-long suspension (his fourth offense). Two months later, Mueller was fired. Two months after that, Carter violated the NFL's Drug/Substance abuse policy for the fifth time. He played in 6 games last year.

This year, he has been injured and only played in 8 games. Carter is on IR now.

At the time of the signing, everyone thought it was nuts. And it turned that way.

Be fair....Muck.

He traded Rick Mirer to some Bears coach (his name escapes me) for two picks....the two picks: Walter Jones and Sean Springs.

He drafted Deuce McCallister, Rick Turley, Donte Stallworth, Darren Howard, and traded for Aaron Brooks.

He also believes in improving the offensive line as a priority.

He does have successes.

Every GM, coach, etc. is allowed a few gaffes over the course of their careers. The thing that seperates the good ones from the bad ones is their ability to recover from those gaffes and move on to bigger and better things.

Back
Top Bottom