Ray Lewis Says Minkah Is The Best Player In The Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ray Lewis Says Minkah Is The Best Player In The Draft

If I had only two words that I could use to describe our off-season (FA and Draft) this year I would say " SCHEME ADAPTABILITY ". Hopefully, the players we added on both sides of the ball will help us adjust better to the competition. If what I think they are trying to do, actually happens, our team should be pretty exciting to watch this year.

Will we find a way to develop fitzpatrick on this phins team.

Maybe he would had developed better in another team with better coaching. But iam glad he is here.

Let's be realistic. Rashad Jones is a shell of himself after that injury and that big payday.
I would put the Eagles, Falcons, Chiefs for best safety tandem.

No, just wrong.

Jones isn’t, never was, a good cover S. He’s still elite at run stopping and making plays when it’s in front of him.

Here's an honest question about Fitzpatrick:

If he plays as well as we think he's going to play -- i.e. he plays up to expectations -- is our defense going to be better or worse having lost Donkey Kong Suh, but added him at FS?

Because I'd argue that if Fitzpatrick pans out, FS is a much, much more important position to have an elite player at than DT.

If he plays as well as we think he's going to play -- i.e. he plays up to expectations -- is our defense going to be better or worse having lost Donkey Kong Suh, but added him at FS?

Because I'd argue that if Fitzpatrick pans out, FS is a much, much more important position to have an elite player at than DT.
If he works out, I think he completely transforms the defense. We shouldn't have to worry about anymore communication issues in the secondary with Reshad and Minkah. It will also allow Kiko to just focus on his own job next year.

While I like Suh, he did freelance quite a bit and also had too many presnap penalties for my taste. We haven't had a playmaking safety in a long time.

I agree, I think that if Fitzpatrick comes in and plays like that guy who 'should have' gone in the top 5 or 6 of the draft, our defense will be better. Even without Suh.

Suh is great, but I just don't think one great DT is a game-changer, and we kind of found that out the hard way. You look at a team like Jacksonville that has a great defense anchored by a great defensive line, and it's not just one guy. They've got an entire rotation of big, angry men, and they just drafted another one.

That said, I still wish we had both of these guys ready to line up for us in 2018.

It’s also much harder to fill that spot too.

There’s what, 1 year in year our elite FS? Earl Thomas. I guess Harrison Smith plays FS too.

That’s 2. It’s a rare position to fill and we got one.

I believe Fitzpatrick was the best player we could take on defense given what the Dolphins lacked in terms of generating takeaways. Though, Edmonds intrigued me as well at 11. Hopefully, they made the right choice.

Aside from Fitzpatrick's leadership qualities, which is sorely lacking on the team, what stands out, is his great anticipatory instincts. That clip Lewis showed was an excellent demonstration. That's half the battle when running towards a play. His versatility gives Miami the ability to disguise it's coverages more effectively as well.

I believe Fitzpatrick was the best player we could take on defense given what the Dolphins lacked in terms of generating takeaways. Though, Edmonds intrigued me as well at 11. Hopefully, they made the right choice.

Thing that scared me about Edmonds is I don’t remember him in any game Clemson play VT. Yes that sounds weird, but I remember Minkah, Derwin, Chubb, Landry, Ramsey and Rueben Foster specifically giving Watson a hard time when he was there. Edmonds never made an impact against them.

It’s also much harder to fill that spot too.

There’s what, 1 year in year our elite FS? Earl Thomas. I guess Harrison Smith plays FS too.

That’s 2. It’s a rare position to fill and we got one.

Look at what Williams, Amos, Hooker, and Nicholson did last year. The position is trending up. Weddle is 100 but he's still really good. McCourty can play. Mathieu can't stay healthy but he can ball. There's more but you get the idea.

Last edited:
I agree, I think that if Fitzpatrick comes in and plays like that guy who 'should have' gone in the top 5 or 6 of the draft, our defense will be better. Even without Suh.

Suh is great, but I just don't think one great DT is a game-changer, and we kind of found that out the hard way. You look at a team like Jacksonville that has a great defense anchored by a great defensive line, and it's not just one guy. They've got an entire rotation of big, angry men, and they just drafted another one.

That said, I still wish we had both of these guys ready to line up for us in 2018.

I wish Suh was there to see how we do with both. But he's not so...

I think that the if Fitz gives us what we hope...the ability to stop TEs and RBs from running open by a country mile, a vocal leader in the secondary that cuts down on coverage breakdowns and overall mental errors and playmaking that turn some long gains by a WR into picks by our FS...it's a bigger positive than what we lost without Suh. I'll miss the distruption to the offense because of his quick penetration and his ability to rush the passer from the interior...and doing it with an amazing % plays and durability, but I think that can be schemed to a degree.

Also, the difference won't be just those two variables. Hopefully McMillian will greatly improve our LB corp (Im not going to pin hopes on Baker in his rookie year), our young CBs will continue to improve (and Lippet returns healthy and builds on his nice start) and Harris will be more of a force in his second year than anyone lining up across from Wake was last year. As a lover of good D, I'm actually excited to see what Miami puts on the field this year!

Back
Top Bottom