RB Jaylen Wright | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB Jaylen Wright

I’ve been skeptical of this pick because of the offense he comes from: the Heupel spread scheme that created gaping holes for him. Can he learn to read his blocks and use patience with the gaps being significantly smaller in the nfl? Especially with our o-line? Only time will tell

I’ve been skeptical of this pick because of the offense he comes from: the Heupel spread scheme that created gaping holes for him. Can he learn to read his blocks and use patience with the gaps being significantly smaller in the nfl? Especially with our o-line? Only time will tell
Hi there Seasoned Vet. You are one of those quiet types that lurks in the shadows and apparently knows a lot more about football than me. Please post more often. Unlike me and many others (won't name names), you seem to actually have valuable info to pass along 😂

You may be correct re the Heupel spread scheme but what I like about the Jaylen Wright pick is that it gives us multiple options at RB. Raheem Mostert (only broke the Dolphins season TD record last year), De'Von Achane (has put on some real muscle in the offseason) and Jaylen Wright means that any of these players can get a rest/break and another talented RB comes off the bench and the opposing Defense has to deal with it. It also means that in the event of injury, we are well prepared because of the extra quality depth.

Last edited:

I've watched a fair amount of him and think reading his blocks and using patience are some of his best traits. A little reminiscent of Le'Veon Bell in that sense, but much faster and more explosive.

Most good college RBs put up nice numbers, so it's sometimes useful to see what the other backs on the team are doing. If they're all producing similar YPC numbers it is probably more system and blocking than the individual back. That wasn't the case with Wright. Wright averaged 7.4 ypc. their next 3 backs with the most carries (collectively almost 100 more than Wright), collectively averaged 5.2 ypc and individually averaged 5.7, 5.0 and 4.2. So not everyone was running wild in that offense.

And the Dolphins do a good job of causing defenses to use light boxes and leaving space to run.

You may be correct re the Heupel spread scheme but what I like about the Jaylen Wright pick is that it gives us multiple options at RB. Raheem Mostert (only broke the Dolphins season TD record last year), De'Von Achane (has put on some real muscle in the offseason) and Jaylen Wright means that any of these players can get a rest/break and another talented RB comes off the bench and the opposing Defense has to deal with it. It also means that in the event of injury, we are well prepared because of the extra quality

The holes the OL makes for our RB's don't need to be "real big", just "big enough"!

Interesting that Wright was the first Tennessee running back to gain over 1,000 yards in a season since 2015.

Back
Top Bottom