RB Jaylen Wright | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB Jaylen Wright

Moot also means: having little or no practical relevance, typically because the subject is too uncertain to allow a decision.

Yes, you can find that in the dictionary. It was added since so many people parroted others misusing the legal context.

Yes, you can find that in the dictionary. It was added since so many people parroted others misusing the legal context.
We do not have a need for the legal context here in a football forum. The everyday definition that I provided is sufficient.

You can look at drafts over the last 10 years to quickly find that productive rookie RBs are constantly found in the later rounds and that it doesn't happen nearly as often for offensive lineman. It happens for sure but the odds of finding a late round RB that make positive contributions are much higher than a late round guard and I don't even know if it's debatable to be honest.

The players you listed might hit in year 1 or they might not, obviously no one knows for sure but you continuing to say that doesn't mean anything. Historically, the odds favor Wright helping this team much more than any of the guards you listed. Wright will get plenty of snaps and plenty of touches this year unless he gets hurt. A fourth round guard likely won't get any snaps unless he wins the backup role and the starter gets hurt.
And even then, it's highly unlikely he ever reaches a good, starter level ceiling.

We do not have a need for the legal context here in a football forum. The everyday definition that I provided is sufficient.

Your "everyday definition" is a misuse of the legal context.

Person A: Player X would have been great here, but he got draft by another team. Person B: That's a moot point.

Means it needs to be debated. It does NOT mean irrelevant or beside the point.

Julian Hill is a nobody that has done nothing and yet we’re depending on him. He’s a JAG nothing more nothing less.

Smythe is decent blocking and probably not even average receiving. He’s brings little to nothing.

Jonnu Smith is a WR in a TEs body. He does try blocking so his effort is there but that’s just not what he is. Pure receiver that brings very little blocking.

All we’ve heard is we need a blocking TE to make that position work in this offense and yet over 2 offseasons Mike has neglected that position just like the interior of the OL this year.
Hill is the most notable blocker on the roster but offers little on-ball excitement. Smythe is an OK blocker (arguably not as good as was advertised when drafted) but a competent if not dynamic receiver. I posted his catch metrics a few months back and they compare favorably with the top TEs he just didnt get many targets. I dont know much about Fortson but prior to missing last season with a shoulder injury he was pretty efficient catching passes on limited volume in KC.

Sedrick Van Pran (C Georgia)
Jacob Monk (C Duke)
Trevor Keegan (G Michigan)
Hunter Nourzad (C Penn St)

Any of those guys would have had a chance to play or even start. You’re the umpteenth person to claim Wright will impact this year but none of those OL I just listed won’t. How do you know? Rookie running backs get banged up and stay banged up… as you just mentioned with Achane.

If I were to say Wright won’t rush for 400 yards and 5 scores this year you and others would tell me how stupid and ridiculous I am and you’d be asking where’s my crystal ball. But that’s a 2 way street. Again… how do you know?

For the record… want to know what those 4 OL I listed have in common? A couple things… they all could play Center or Guard which offers positional versatility which is highly valuable for a team whose weakness is the OL. You could have potentially fixed 2 spots with one pick from any of those guys.

The other thing they have in common… look at the teams they were drafted by…

Sedrick Van Pran- Buffalo
Jacob Monk- GB
Trevor Keegan- Philly
Hunter Nourzad- KC

Want to know what all 4 of those teams have in common? The last time we played any of the 4… they beat us including Buffalo and KC who each beat us 2 last year. Philly literally has a reputation for drafting OL bc they know what they’re doing. You going to tell me Philly is wrong when they’ve proven they draft and develop top level OL?

How about KC who’s drafted Creed Humphrey 63rd overall (1 pick from 3rd round) and Trey Smith I believe was a 5th round pick. Yet they both start for the reigning 2 time SB champs. Philly always has a top 5 OL.

All 4 (Buffalo/KC/Philly/GB) are playoff teams from last year and all 4 are basically playoff level teams almost every year. But no the Miami Dolphins know better than those 4 front offices. Just smh
I would like to take the over on Wright rushing for 400 yards this season. 5 TDs seems about right unless injuries push him into the starting lineup. Wouldnt shock me if the Fins have 3 RBs with >1000 all purpose yards this season.

Moot also means: having little or no practical relevance, typically because the subject is too uncertain to allow a decision.
Moot means irrelevant because no matter what the answer or outcome to the particular question it doesnt change the broader result. Example: color of the cat is moot to the question of how many mice it catches.

Last edited:
I don’t understand how the 4th round is considered a “late” round pick. I understand for 6th and 7th round guys but all those I listed went after our pick in the 4th and I believe 3 of those were 5th rounders.

You and others can continue to harp that Wright will be more impactful and that’s fine but again… you don’t know that just like I don’t. He could pull a hammy or anything and it keep him out. He could have trouble learning the playbook. He may not be even an average pass blocker. I mean none of us know.

I also haven’t continued to say anything. If you read the thread I’ve been challenged to name guys. I didn’t just throw them up here I responded with the answer when challenged.

They’re also plenty of examples of guys being drafted in the 4th or 5th round on the OL that start from day 1. That’s where our front office and scouts have to do their homework and find the right one. They chose to ignore it completely so that’s fine bc they’re making the call not any of us. Our job is to be fans and state why we think it’s right or wrong. People have lost their minds bc I didn’t agree with every pick they made.

Again… the teams that drafted those 4 I listed are all playoff teams who beat us. So all of you know none of those guys will be a factor but the Eagles/Bills/Chiefs/Packers thought they were worthy so how can you question any of those teams when the proof is in the pudding? They win… and they’ve proven to at least be able to make playoffs consistently and actually win a playoff game… something we haven’t done since 2000.

Again… if most of you like Wright over an OL then so be it… but yall keep stating that Wright will impact from day 1 and none of those OL will and yall state it like it’s fact. You don’t know anymore than I do.

For the record as I said in an earlier post… KC drafted Trey Smith in the 5th round and he’s been their starting guard ever since. Now that’s cherry picking one guy to prove a point but as I’ve said for Robinson and others… Smith is the exception not the rule bc for every Trey Smith theys 1000 others you’ve never heard of. My point is they’re examples to back both theories.

I just would have preferred to at least take a swing on a guy that plays the position of our biggest need. Bc if Tua goes down bc of an OL issue you me and everybody else here will be screaming why didn’t we draft an OL to fill that spot. But if Tua goes down for longer than a couple game our season is over and everyone here knows it.
Tua's jersey stayed fairly clean last season despite all the OL injuries, and IMO the offseason additions outweigh the subtractions. Possible slight downgrades at C and RG, but the second string is much upgraded. Plus another season of Butch Barry coaching all the guys up especially the younger ones. My only worries at the moment are defensive backfield and growth on the parts of McD/FSmith and Tua.

Tua's jersey stayed fairly clean last season despite all the OL injuries, and IMO the offseason additions outweigh the subtractions. Possible slight downgrades at C and RG, but the second string is much upgraded. Plus another season of Butch Barry coaching all the guys up especially the younger ones. My only worries at the moment are defensive backfield and growth on the parts of McD/FSmith and Tua.
downgrade at d tackle as well

downgrade at d tackle as well
No doubt the team will be swapping quality for quantity on the DL, possibly offset with deeper edge and more physicality at LB. DB depth also a concern until we see how the rookies look. I was only referring to the OL situation.

I would like to take the over on Wright rushing for 400 yards this season. 5 TDs seems about right unless injuries push him into the starting lineup. Wouldnt shock me if the Fins have 3 RBs with >1000 all purpose yards this season.
I'll take the under, he only had 4 rushing tds last year and zero receiving tds in 34 games. With limited snaps plus the fact Mostert had an amazing season in the red zone I'm not taking the ball out of his hands. If Achane stays healthy his touches should increase to at least 10+ per game leaving UpWright fighting for leftovers, unless for injuries.

Your "everyday definition" is a misuse of the legal context.

Person A: Player X would have been great here, but he got draft by another team. Person B: That's a moot point.

Means it needs to be debated. It does NOT mean irrelevant or beside the point.
"...A debatable question, an issue open to argument; also, an irrelevant question, a matter of no importance. For example, Whether Shakespeare actually wrote the poem remains a moot point among critics , or It's a moot point whether the chicken or the egg came first..."

Back
Top Bottom