RB Kenyan Drake had a huge game against the Broncos | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB Kenyan Drake had a huge game against the Broncos

Come on Hoops don't be like that. Of course everything you've posted is valid. But give the kid some props. He's shown more than some people thought he was capable of and appears to be able to do more with more touches and experience.

Ummm be like what? I was just answering the question regarding what happened to the Broncos d this year the post before mine.

The run d has been the weakness in the d it’s not as bad as the qb play which is really why their season is over more than anything else. O line attrition and play has played into it too at times but the qb play like miamis in 2017 is the major season ender

Now as for Drake’s td run maybe he did stiff arm a guy at the 2nd level if he did it sure didn’t look like he made much contact but the sweet move on the play was the cut at the los to make the first guy miss. If he was touched there at all it was shoe tops

To my eye he was pulled down in the backfield by the first man multiple times and tackled more than I’d want in a lead back on first contact.

It looked like a guy to me best as a 2nd option in a duo which is better than it looked to me to start the season when he barely got a sniff and when he did he bounced everything

I would look to pair it in 2018 with something more true between the tackles

Last edited:
Gase's philosophy on running backs.

Running back: Not only is Kenyan Drake making the most of his opportunity (120 yards rushing Sunday, 4.9 yards per carry on the season), but this comment from Adam Gase on Friday was very telling:

“I don’t know if I’m ever going to have feature back-type situations. I like using multiple guys. I like guys moving in and out and I like having guys that can do multiple things and really put pressure on the defense where they can’t focus on one thing. I don’t know. We might be out of that game.”

With Drake playing well, that doesn’t sound like a coach who wants to draft a back in the first round. Yes, one will be drafted. But you can find a quality rotational running back later in the draft.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article187960979.html

Gase's philosophy on running backs.

Running back: Not only is Kenyan Drake making the most of his opportunity (120 yards rushing Sunday, 4.9 yards per carry on the season), but this comment from Adam Gase on Friday was very telling:

“I don’t know if I’m ever going to have feature back-type situations. I like using multiple guys. I like guys moving in and out and I like having guys that can do multiple things and really put pressure on the defense where they can’t focus on one thing. I don’t know. We might be out of that game.”

With Drake playing well, that doesn’t sound like a coach who wants to draft a back in the first round. Yes, one will be drafted. But you can find a quality rotational running back later in the draft.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article187960979.html

I would say seeing what Drake looks like that’s probably true. Paired with a mid round between the tackles back.

Gun to my head right now I’d say og quenton nelson top pick for Miami in the top 12.

Maybe a de if one grades out high enough.

I’m struggling with lb considering they traded a pick for Anthony and he’s playing more to give them looks for the future and looking like he may be an answer. Getting Raekwon back they will bank on too and kikos going nowhere

I don’t see corner safety or dt in play with what they have in house

RB is the least of our concerns. If we can get an elite prospect like Barkley in the draft you have to consider it, but I have no problem at all riding with Williams, Drake, Perry next year. We have a lot bigger holes to figure out.

Come on Hoops don't be like that. Of course everything you've posted is valid. But give the kid some props. He's shown more than some people thought he was capable of and appears to be able to do more with more touches and experience.

Drake had a 'can't win' game. Run well = bad D. Run poorly = he's a bad back

Last edited:
All these years we have been looking for a home run threat at running back and now we have one but he is being critiqued . I don't understand sometimes . I remember watching the great Barry Sanders dancing around . At times he would get short gains and sometime loss of yardage and then all of sudden he breaks one for 50 yards . Isn't that what you want in a running back . Explosiveness . Do you want a wide receiver that consistently gets 8 yards a catch but can't give you a 4o plus catch or a guy that can give you a deep one at any moment . Drake is looking better and better in all aspects of his game. His pass blocking was very noticeable and helped Cutler in a big way. Wait till they learn how to create a screen pass for #32, that's gonna be scary. Say he put's on 10 lbs of muscle on the offseason , we got a heck uv a back next year! The kid has been a blessing lately. This helps the passing game too , especially the play action.

Screen passes are only scary for the team that calls them.

Drake had a very good game. Kept his feet moving in traffic and had lots of energy.

I never get excited about scatbacks of that caliber. Invariably it's hit and miss, an occasional big game followed by lofty projections and then not much going on. Drake has been a known quantity for a long time. He's not 21. He's a month shy of 24, which is approaching mid career for a running back. You can go back to his Alabama days and have similar excitement from the fan base after an occasional big play or return. Then he looks like backup caliber again, or simply not special. It's like Bernard with the Bengals, who always teases that fan base with sporadic clever runs but invariably they are trying to replace him, including Mixon this year.

I think Drake conceded he hadn't carried the ball that much in a game since high school. That means multiple coaches did think it was warranted.

Nice complimentary player but if Gase thinks he can win the league via cute swing passes to a back of that caliber then we're in worse shape than I imagined.

So you guys think the pass d in Denver with those 3 corners is worse than the run d?

Games I’ve seen of em this year the run d was the weakness if they had one

Doesn’t help that a very good player in Derek Wolfe missed either but I’m sure if I mentioned that it would have been taken as a knock on Drake somehow. Peko also missed but he’s not as big a piece as Wolfe

So you guys think the pass d in Denver with those 3 corners is worse than the run d?

Games I’ve seen of em this year the run d was the weakness if they had one

Doesn’t help that a very good player in Derek Wolfe missed either but I’m sure if I mentioned that it would have been taken as a knock on Drake somehow. Peko also missed but he’s not as big a piece as Wolfe
Why can't both aspects be good? They are 4th and 5th respectively in both categories. It's not a either or thing

I would say seeing what Drake looks like that’s probably true. Paired with a mid round between the tackles back.

Gun to my head right now I’d say og quenton nelson top pick for Miami in the top 12.

sign me up

I've seen him absolutely light up some D linemen in pass pro...

Ya dude I really like Drake. He's taller than you'd like at Rb but he is strong as hell. I really like the acceleration and the fact he always keeps his feet churning. Just hold onto the ball!!! lol

If seems that unless we say a player is going to the HOF then it means we think the guy sucks. Some people just see what they want to see I guess

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom