RB R. Edwards Looking Impressive | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB R. Edwards Looking Impressive

Originally posted by Phinstd
If he shows he can take the punding no way we get rid of him because we don't have another back to take the pounding if something happens to RW.

To Chambers84 we will not carry 3 FB we will only 2. The new FB is only for depth in camp an in case we have an ijury during season.

Read my post again, I am saying if RE and the rookie Henry have outstanding camps. Plus we have Minor.

I know what you were saying. Should we trade one of them if they both have great camps.

Henry is a little more than 200 lbs and runs high...a bad thing for a full time RB.He could NEVER take a full season's pounding.

We all know Minor can't do it for a full season either.So with all that, RE will not go anywhere since we have an oft injured starting RB on a team that likes to run the ball alot.

The backup has to be able to take a full season's pounding and noone but RE have any chance of being able to do that.

I know what you were saying. Should we trade one of them if they both have great camps.

Henry is a little more than 200 lbs and runs high...a bad thing for a full time RB.He could NEVER take a full season's pounding.

Do you happen to remember a certain RB by the name of Eric Dickerson..Do you remember his running style...Generally upright runners don't last long in any league..but there are exceptions, and his guy might be one considering all the yards he rake up in college. But only time will tell.

Name me another RB like Robert Edwards that so many teams have passed on that finally excelled when a team gave him a shot

Garrison Hearst....Terrel Davis.....Ki Jana Carter.....off the top of my head.

Garrison because any team could have had him from 49ers for next to nothing. Davis because he was drafted in 6th rd. Carter because any team could have had him and he played great for Skins last year.

Oh and Eric Dickerson was 225 lbs and all world talent.

Henry was a 7th rd picka nd not many people are going to mistake a 198 lb player at combine for Eric Dickerson or an all-world starting RB.

He will make a nice change of pace guy and backup type who may develop into a good backup RB for this team in time.

Forget about him on the P-squad he'd be claimed. We should at least trade him if he's not gonna make the team.

Oh and Eric Dickerson was 225 lbs and all world talent.

Henry was a 7th rd picka nd not many people are going to mistake a 198 lb player at combine for Eric Dickerson or an all-world starting RB.

He will make a nice change of pace guy and backup type who may develop into a good backup RB for this team in time.

Forget about him on the P-squad he'd be claimed. We should at least trade him if he's not gonna make the team.

Why is running high a bad thing for a Rb? That's exactly how Terell Davis runs, using his vision to cutback the grain.

Terell Davis is 5'11" 210 pounds...... 6th rd. pick and made all world

Leonard Henry is 6'1" 206.... 7th rd.

And from what I've read about him, and seen from him he looks big enough to handle the load of an every down back.

But the guy is a 7th round pick, he ain't getting much action on the trade market.

If anyone goes it would be Edwards or MINOR, with Minor probably having the most value.

I say keep em for insurance...we have too many injuries....Denver keeps a bunch and it helps them..If they're all good let em play unless we get a trade we just can't pass up.

Running high makes you a bigger target that is easier to bring down because you have a worst center of gravity. Just cuz you run high it doesn't mean your vision improves either. TD is probably the exception because his vision is good but it would probably be good even if he didn't run high.

JJ Johnson was criticized for running too high in the NFL and he got hit too easily cuz he was a big target, he didn't have great leverage to resist the takedown, AND he had some of the most p!ss poor vision I've ever seen on a RB.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Running high makes you a bigger target that is easier to bring down because you have a worst center of gravity. Just cuz you run high it doesn't mean your vision improves either. TD is probably the exception because his vision is good but it would probably be good even if he didn't run high.

JJ Johnson was criticized for running too high in the NFL and he got hit too easily cuz he was a big target, he didn't have great leverage to resist the takedown, AND he had some of the most p!ss poor vision I've ever seen on a RB.

Sorry but your not correct, running high does improve your vision, it's logical, but a the same time it exposes the hips more which is what makes for an easier tackle.

Terrell Davis is made for that type of running as is Henry Leonard, they slash thru, using cutbacks against the grain of the defense. JJ Johnson could not cut, he is a total north south runner.

I'm in no way saying that running high is the way to run. But there are some RB's that use their instincts with that style that make it look effortless. So far from what I saw of Leonard, he can be one of them. BUT of course all I saw of him so far was with no pads. Let me get back on that thought once I see him get hit.

I START GOING TO CAMP ON MONDAY!!!!!

A big dig on Leonard Henry coming out of college was that he was not good with the cutback or change of direction.

As for JJ Johnson, the kid had no vision at all. He was one of the most upright runners I've seen. Not only was he tall at like 6'1" but he RAN tall. Even a guy that runs upright like Terrell Davis doesn't compare to an upright JJ Johnson and if Leonard Henry is that tall too then that could be bad. JJ Johnson's version of "showing vision" was to find the nearest blocker and run directly into his back, get slowed up, and get tackled for a 2 yard gain.

I didn't say there weren't exceptions but running upright does not increase your vision in general so as to be worth it. Otherwise draftniks wouldn't constantly list it as a negative on the runningbacks that come out of college.

Well said CK that is exactly what I was going to say.

One other note, running high exposes your midsection more which is more apt to get you injured with a straight on hit. A player is more apt to fumble running high because he isn't lower wrapped around the ball and protecting.

Running high only increases your vision because you could see over people. At 6-1 and most D-lineman being much taller than that, it negates the advantage entirely.

Let's just see what Leonard does in TC and preseason and judge him on that...and that's all I have to say about that.

Back
Top Bottom