RB R. Edwards Looking Impressive | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RB R. Edwards Looking Impressive

IF.......... Leonard Henry turns out to be the next TD and Robert Edwards becomes Robert Edwards again.....we have another running back that would have significant trade value and his name aint Travis.;)

Originally posted by ckparrothead
A big dig on Leonard Henry coming out of college was that he was not good with the cutback or change of direction.

I heard the exact opposite!

And saw it too, of course with out hitting going on......

Most of the reports that came out about Henry at draft time were from people that never really watched him play game to game. The guy has absolutely no problem with cut backs, being easy to tackle etc. I'm an East Carolina grad and I've watched him from day one and the guy is simply a winner. He is tall for a back but he has incredible upper body strength for a running back(he benched 225 25 times at the combine, more than most linemen). I can't figure out why people say he goes down easy either. He is a tackle buster who has layed-out many a linebacker or DB in his way. I am really jealous of your group of backs down there(being a life-long Dallas fan & Panther fan-hold the jokes there!). Edwards was one of my favs as a rookie and with RW & Minor too, you guys look stacked. As for Henry, he is a great receiver, a kick-a#$ special teamer and, mark my word, when the pads go on he will stand out from both Minor and Edwards. The guy can bust some heads. Oh yeah, he's a major team-player and if winds up 4th string he will still help this team with his work ethic and attitude in the clubhouse. Sounds like you have quite a good team down there now. I'll have to pull for you a bit this year!
TC

Originally posted by Phinstd
Well said CK that is exactly what I was going to say.

One other note, running high exposes your midsection more which is more apt to get you injured with a straight on hit. A player is more apt to fumble running high because he isn't lower wrapped around the ball and protecting.

Running high only increases your vision because you could see over people. At 6-1 and most D-lineman being much taller than that, it negates the advantage entirely.

Rb's use their instincts to run the ball, however it may be. There are those that have had troubles once they arrived in the NFL, so coaches do whatever it takes to try and make him better. Things like trying to change his style of running, ALA JJ Johnson.

There is no proof that running upright is the wrong way too run!

NFL History IMO says it all!

Eric Dickerson, Terrell Davis, and Jim Brown, three of the all-time greatest, tell me any style works for the right person.

Most of the upright Rb's use the outside to find their running lanes, which by the time there ready to cut back into them, the D-lineman are not all bunched up, plus their engaged with someone, which means however big they are, they're not standing up.

Good vision is all about seeing the lanes open up, being more upright when going thru the first hole helps slightly to see what the Lb's and DB's are doing, to avoid them. Rb's with that low center of gravity probably care a little less about this because they're looking to hit the Lb's and Db's coming thru the holes.

Now take a Rb like Curtis Martin, he is more of a low center guy, that uses his instincts, and vision to counter my post perfectly.

Instincts, Vision, toughness, talent are just a few things that make up a great player, not staying at low center, more upright, etc., etc..

I think Leonard Henry possesses those qualities, now lets see if he can use them in the NFL................

Back
Top Bottom