Really Solid Start to FA | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Really Solid Start to FA

A 3-4 Boomer?A 3-4??
Are you saying that these players that Saban wants are good for a 3-4 scheme?
So far every player Saban wants to talk to is suitable for a 3-4?
Are any of the players Saban wants more suited or equally suited to play a 4-3?

"Saban wants"......Where have I heard that before?:hmmm:

BTW, duck and run......:lol:

Boomer said:
It's quite nice that Saban keeps it all under his hat, keeps us all guessing. Looks like he's going the low-fi Patriots route in FA and playing a fair bit of 3-4 and trying to bring in people like Kevin Carter, Bobby Hamilton, Tony Bryant, Matt Stewart, Donnie Spragan, Kennoy Kennedy, Dexter Jackson. Mario Edwards is a decent enough nickel back. It would be nice to get Carter, for the right deal and Bryant, Vonnie Holliday and Hamilton all work nicely in the rotation. I like Spragan. He's an underrated 2 year starter for the Horses. I see they are also trying to prise Lamont Jordan away from the Raiders. Can't see them being that succesful on that front which opens an interesting decision for the draft. Will they stay at 2 and take a Ronnie Brown or try and shift down and look at a real 3-4 edge threat in someone like Shawn Merriman? I hope we don't give up the #2 for James. Ron Dayne's coming in!! :)

Looks likely that we will be dealing Surtain soon.

I'm really encouraged by the moves that Saban has made. He clearly has a plan for hard working football players, strengthening the back-up spots - Stewart for example makes our LB's better 1-6 and Spragan is a solid starter. Kenoy Kennedy is a younger quicker version of Sammy Knight and he brings the wood the way Saban likes. I see Marques Douglas remains an option as well. Idrees Bashir is coming in as well.

Don't underestimate how solid these potential moves are. This however throws up interesting possibilities in the draft. If we do go to 3-4, does he look for a 3-4 beast like Shawn Merriman or Travis Johnson, Shaun Cody by shifting down? Or does he take Ronnie Brown?

These are really fun times.

I like the approach Saban is taking as well. However, we are in a real jam with Surtain's contract. We need money under the cap and more draft picks. Surtain would be the ideal trade for us.

That said, it looks very unlikely we will deal him. The Chiefs are courting Samari Rolle (and why not? He comes without giving up a 1st day pick); Indy has indicated they are no longer interested; Detroit and Minn. are possibles -

But, the biggest problem, imo, is Surtain is pricing himself out of the market. Rolle and Surtain are looking for $12-14 million bonus money, plus who knows how much else. It doesn't look promising to me.

Boom, I agree that Free Agency is going well. think Saban is making some calculated decisions to improve the core of this team, and yes soon you will be bashed, we should have gotten Moss, Jordan, Coakley, and Samuels then all our problems would be over. :D :D

inFINSible said:
A 3-4 Boomer?A 3-4??
Are you saying that these players that Saban wants are good for a 3-4 scheme?
So far every player Saban wants to talk to is suitable for a 3-4?
Are any of the players Saban wants more suited or equally suited to play a 4-3?

"Saban wants"......Where have I heard that before?:hmmm:

BTW, duck and run......:lol:

I think Infins, if you look closely, I wrote "It seems he will play a bit of 3-4" or words to that effect. :tongue:

Boomer said:
I think Infins, if you look closely, I wrote "It seems he will play a bit of 3-4" or words to that effect. :tongue:

Thanks for the support..:shakeno: :lol:

Be patient.... let Saban have his learning curve... he will do a significant amount of window shopping... it's his first visit to the flea market....

Boomer said:
Sorry mate I didn't quite get what u meant.
I was fooling around, referencing another thread of mine....sorry for the confusion. :D

Am I one of the young'ens who will bash you when school gets out?

Because I agree with you completely Boomer. We are just bideing our time and doing things right.

Boomer said:
It's quite nice that Saban keeps it all under his hat, keeps us all guessing. Looks like he's going the low-fi Patriots route in FA and playing a fair bit of 3-4 and trying to bring in people like Kevin Carter, Bobby Hamilton, Tony Bryant, Matt Stewart, Donnie Spragan, Kennoy Kennedy, Dexter Jackson. Mario Edwards is a decent enough nickel back. It would be nice to get Carter, for the right deal and Bryant, Vonnie Holliday and Hamilton all work nicely in the rotation. I like Spragan. He's an underrated 2 year starter for the Horses. I see they are also trying to prise Lamont Jordan away from the Raiders. Can't see them being that succesful on that front which opens an interesting decision for the draft. Will they stay at 2 and take a Ronnie Brown or try and shift down and look at a real 3-4 edge threat in someone like Shawn Merriman? I hope we don't give up the #2 for James. Ron Dayne's coming in!! :)

I'm really encouraged by the moves that Saban has made. He clearly has a plan for hard working football players, strengthening the back-up spots - Stewart for example makes our LB's better 1-6 and Spragan is a solid starter. Kenoy Kennedy is a younger quicker version of Sammy Knight and he brings the wood the way Saban likes. I see Marques Douglas remains an option as well. Idrees Bashir is coming in as well.

Don't underestimate how solid these potential moves are. This however throws up interesting possibilities in the draft. If we do go to 3-4, does he look for a 3-4 beast like Shawn Merriman or Travis Johnson, Shaun Cody by shifting down? Or does he take Ronnie Brown?

i'ïi say its a solid start in fa when i actually see some of these players actually signing

haha, before this becomes another 3-4 / 4-3 "you watch and see" argument, I just wanna chime in and say, im REALLY liking the way saban is approaching personnel, except for the whole age thing... which makes me wonder, if we can secure the RB situation before the draft and we land one of these over 30 DE/DT, it almost guarantees were going to be drafting defense with a long term mentality...

The only holes on offense are at RB and OL (I'm not sure how agreed upon that is, but I think we need to give Feeley a year at QB to gauge that position) and from what i understand, the OL crop this year, is weak at best... so with the D getting older and saban being a defense minded coach, the logical thought process would be drafting a young DE, LB and S, right?? and if we can secure one of those positions with a young FA then come draft time (and im talking first day), it leaves us that more open to drafting the Best Defensive Player Available... right?

I still think the wild card in all this is Surtain. If he can drop his price demands/or maybe some team will get desperate once they lose the guy they want in FA... Then maybe we can get a decent pick for him. If not I'd hope we redo his contract so we don't just let him walk after the season!? If we can get the pick for Surtain, it really opens up the options on what to do with our 2nd overall.

Boomer said:

I'm impressed with your outlook at the beginning of this free agent period. I'm frankly shocked that people aren't up in arms that we haven't signed these so called "big name" free agents. I think it's great that we haven't gotten into it so far. There was not 1 "great" free agent out there. I think teams have gotten better at locking up their "'very good to great" players and I think that will continue in future free agent periods beyond this one. The contracts that these guys have been signing are out of wack for 99% of them. The 1% being Pat Williams, which you eluded to. The 2 most shocking to me were the 5yr/5mil and a what 8-10 mill bonus for Gordon. I like him but come on, the guy is good but has never carried more than 96 times in ANY season he's played...that's a hell of a lot of money. The other was the Henry signing with Dallas. Yes he's tall at 6'1" for a CB but they actually guaranteed 16 mill for the first 3 years for a guy who had 10 ints his rookie yr and no more than 5 (only 1 yr) the last 3. Oh...and 12 mill bonus for Jennings? I guess if you're gonna draft a QB #1 overall...maybe it's worth it. I will admit that I'd rather give Jennings 12 than the 15 that Samuels got from Washington......anyway...my point was.....Nice Post :)
:)

I normally agree with boomer, and do again in this case on most parts aside from this... mario edwards is an awful awful awful defensive back, I guess hiding him at the nickel wouldnt be so bad, but I believe we have to have better options.

2 Questions:

1) We will be trading Surtain pretty soon.... I thought the same thing last week. I was sure he would be traded by the end of the week but I really havent heard anything to make me continue that line of thought. Any information that I dont already know? Whats the latest suitor? KC? Indy?

2) Mario Edwards at nickel.... We dont need a nickel back do we? We have Madison, Howard, and Poole.

Back
Top Bottom