Really Solid Start to FA | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Really Solid Start to FA

Philter25 said:
2 Questions:

1) We will be trading Surtain pretty soon.... I thought the same thing last week. I was sure he would be traded by the end of the week but I really havent heard anything to make me continue that line of thought. Any information that I dont already know? Whats the latest suitor? KC? Indy?

2) Mario Edwards at nickel.... We dont need a nickel back do we? We have Madison, Howard, and Poole.

I think he meant that Edwards would play dime. And while he may not be good enough to cover Chris Chambers, he should be sufficient enough to give the Bryan Gilmores of the world a good battle :)

Good post Boomer, but why you smiling after you say Ron Dayne is coming in?
He is horrible.

NYinBostonFin said:
Good post Boomer, but why you smiling after you say Ron Dayne is coming in?
He is horrible.

Don't believe everything you saw during those Giant games. I think this kid could have a bit of a revival in another uniform. Maybe not Miami's, but somewhere else.

Boomer;

It's the best of times....and the worst of times. But it great to be a Dolphin fan!! GO PHINS!

Surferosa said:
I think he meant that Edwards would play dime. And while he may not be good enough to cover Chris Chambers, he should be sufficient enough to give the Bryan Gilmores of the world a good battle :)
Thats cool with me.

Boomer said:
Looks like he's going the low-fi Patriots route in FA and playing a fair bit of 3-4 and trying to bring in people like Kevin Carter, Bobby Hamilton, Tony Bryant, Matt Stewart, Donnie Spragan, Kennoy Kennedy, Dexter Jackson. Mario Edwards is a decent enough nickel back. It would be nice to get Carter, for the right deal and Bryant, Vonnie Holliday and Hamilton all work nicely in the rotation.

The only players on that list worth looking at are DE K. Carter / K. Kennedy in my opinion. I've never even seen or heard of the other player you mentioned. Maybe they're decent, but they certainly aren't making me do cartwheels...

I'm really encouraged by the moves that Saban has made.

How can you be encouraged with nothing???....He hasn't made one single FA move at this time, and we're still in negociations with our own guys. In reality, Saban hasn't done anything yet, and it's kind of hard for me to be impressed with nothing.

These are really fun times.

I disagree. It's fun knowing the Phinz are in for changes, but with Miami having zero action in the FA market, it's kind of depressing IMO....

I'll keep the faith, and just pray that Saban has a plan. He's so tough to read, and there has been zero leakage in Phinz land this off-season. I find it more frustrating than anything, but that's Saban's way.....

"IN SABAN WE TRUST"....

PHINZ RULE!!!! :evil:

Boomer said:
It's quite nice that Saban keeps it all under his hat, keeps us all guessing. Looks like he's going the low-fi Patriots route in FA and playing a fair bit of 3-4 and trying to bring in people like Kevin Carter, Bobby Hamilton, Tony Bryant, Matt Stewart, Donnie Spragan, Kennoy Kennedy, Dexter Jackson. Mario Edwards is a decent enough nickel back. It would be nice to get Carter, for the right deal and Bryant, Vonnie Holliday and Hamilton all work nicely in the rotation. I like Spragan. He's an underrated 2 year starter for the Horses. I see they are also trying to prise Lamont Jordan away from the Raiders. Can't see them being that succesful on that front which opens an interesting decision for the draft. Will they stay at 2 and take a Ronnie Brown or try and shift down and look at a real 3-4 edge threat in someone like Shawn Merriman? I hope we don't give up the #2 for James. Ron Dayne's coming in!! :)

Looks likely that we will be dealing Surtain soon.

I'm really encouraged by the moves that Saban has made. He clearly has a plan for hard working football players, strengthening the back-up spots - Stewart for example makes our LB's better 1-6 and Spragan is a solid starter. Kenoy Kennedy is a younger quicker version of Sammy Knight and he brings the wood the way Saban likes. I see Marques Douglas remains an option as well. Idrees Bashir is coming in as well.

Don't underestimate how solid these potential moves are. This however throws up interesting possibilities in the draft. If we do go to 3-4, does he look for a 3-4 beast like Shawn Merriman or Travis Johnson, Shaun Cody by shifting down? Or does he take Ronnie Brown?

These are really fun times.

Agree with you except for Mario Edwards. I've paid attention to him since he's one of several NFL players that came from my home town. Think he's pretty overrated. But I like the idea of filling up roster spots with these guys and then drafting Ronnie Brown to be our marquee player.

I don't even think Edwards would be a nickel CB, he would be a dime CB.

It's obvious that virtually every move (except maybe Dayne and Bashir) are going to be touted by a lot of posters on this board as "good moves"

We signed a head coach that was supposed to be elite, so in Saban we trust. I think we have no choice but to sit back and watch him play around and see what he does, and see if he gets results. I think we just get to speculate on what it all means, and so far it looks like he's ignoring OL in free agency (a much-needed position) and with the exception of slight interest in Lamont Jordan, he's ignoring RB in free agency (also a much-needed position). It would follow that Saban hopes to either trade for or draft both an impact RB, and an impact OL. That doesn't mean we know he'll draft Alex Barron or one of the RB's, it just means that he's hoping to fill those holes out somewhere in the draft, or via trade.

Would anyone else here give our 3rd rounder and Surtain for Minnesota's 1st rounder? Because I know I would, and I think Minnesota might too.

Back
Top Bottom