Reggie White's 1993 contract made him the third highest paid player in the NFL | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Reggie White's 1993 contract made him the third highest paid player in the NFL

TheWalrus

1/7/14
Reaction score
Included in the contract are base salaries of $3.15 million in 1994, $2.85 million in 1995 and $2 million in 1996. White's final contract in Philadelphia, which was fully guaranteed, averaged $1.513 million. His new one averages $4.25 million.

White became the third-highest paid player in league history, trailing only Denver quarterback John Elway ($4.75 million) and Miami quarterback Dan Marino ($4.43 million).

More on the Packers landing White at the link (interesting reading in it's own right): http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/191927631.html

By the way, White's agent? Jimmy Sexton. :lol:

By the end of 1993, Steve Young and Troy Aikman would sign new deals, making White would be only the fifth highest paid player in the NFL in per year salary (Barry Sanders made more in pure salary, while Marino actually made less).

The Top 10 NFL contracts by average annual value, with total contract value, as obtained by The Associated Press from player and management sources.

All figures in millions:

Troy Aikman, Dallas QB: $50 million total, $6.25 per year
Steve Young, San Francisco QB: $26.75 $5.35
John Elway, Denver QB: $18.8 $4.7
Barry Sanders, Detroit RB: $17.2 $4.3
Reggie White, Green Bay DE: $17 $4.25
Dan Marino, Miami QB: $22.6 $3.77
Warren Moon, Houston QB: $14.25 $3.56
Joe Montana, Kansas City QB: $10.3 $3.43
Emmitt Smith, Dallas RB: $13.6 $3.4
Thurman Thomas, Buffalo RB: $13.5 $3.38

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-12-24/sports/sp-5081_1_dallas-cowboys

How does this compare with Suh's deal? Well, I'll let Dave Hyde explain:

The six-year, $114 million and $60 million guaranteed, as first reported by ESPN's Chris Mortensen, is the largest overall number for a non-quarterback and the largest guaranteed money ever in football.

Aaron Rodgers got the previously largest guaranteed contract in the NFL at $54 million. Jay Cutler ($126.7 million) and Joe Flacco ($120.6M) are higher overall. On a per-year basis, Suh's $19 million is fifth overall behind Rodgers, Matt Ryan ($20.75M), Flacco (20.1M) and Drew Brees ($20M). The real pioneer work is this is a non-quarterback getting these numbers. Let's also remember the newest are typically the biggest. Rodgers, for instance, signed his contract in April of 2013. In the past two years, the salary cap has risen from $123 million to the current $143.5 million.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...olphins-megadeal-with-suh-20150308-story.html

There's no disputing that the Suh deal is huge. It certainly gave me sticker shock, like it did many other people. But when you look at the historical perspective, is it really that outrageous? It's not, honestly. And it's not like making that deal crippled the Packers' budget. As we all know, three years after the ink was dry on the White deal, the Packers took home the Lombardi trophy.

How far we have come $ wise

Yeah, and 1993 was the first year of free agency. Keith Jackson actually sued his way out of Philly to become a free agent and signed with us, which actually helped kick off this whole free agency era.

I'm glad to see the players make more money. They take all the risk and provide all of the entertainment. Owning an NFL team and making money at it is about the easiest thing in the world.

If he plays like he did in Detroit for us he will be worth it because our defense will be #1 in the league and it will make our offense better as well. Now just get some weapons for the red zone and we are playoff worthy for sure.

And it's not like making that deal crippled the Packers' budget. As we all know, three years after the ink was dry on the White deal, the Packers took home the Lombardi trophy.

Technically it was the White signing AND the acquisition of Brett Favre due to the outright stupidity and/or stubbornness of Glanville.

That said, it was enough to pull the Packers out of 20+ years of obscurity, lets hope we end ours at 15.

I'm glad to see the players make more money. They take all the risk and provide all of the entertainment. Owning an NFL team and making money at it is about the easiest thing in the world.

Agreed. And it seems like the NFL players have the worst deal, compared with baseball and basketball players. Middling players in the NBA or in baseball get paid at the same level as some star players in the NFL make, if you take the super elites out of it. All of these decent NBA point guards pop for $10 million or more. Now, I realize the NBA has 41 home games and MLB has 81. But the NFL has a huge TV contract. I haven't run the numbers but I get the sense something is amiss with the NFL.

Furthermore, Goodell is a thug and his owners abuse their players. They're in continual litigation with ex players who have terrible injuries to live through, after having short NFL careers. We know about the brain injuries and suicides. But it's a lot more than that. The rank and file NFL players should be doing a lot better IMO. Right now, the Suhs and Mannings do great. But they are not typical in my view.

Technically it was the White signing AND the acquisition of Brett Favre due to the outright stupidity and/or stubbornness of Glanville.

That said, it was enough to pull the Packers out of 20+ years of obscurity, lets hope we end ours at 15.

It wasn't stupidity and stubbornness on Glanville's part. Favre was a drunk. As Glanville put it:

“I had to get him out of Atlanta. . . . I could not sober him up,” Glanville said. “I sent him to a city where at 9:00 at night the only thing that’s open is Chili Joes. You can get it two ways, with or without onions. And that’s what made Brett Favre make a comeback was going to a town that closed down. If I would have traded him to New York, nobody to this day would have known who Brett Favre ever was.”

Favre has been candid regarding his issues with alcohol and painkillers, which he eventually beat several years ago.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/18/glanvilles-eye-opening-explanation-of-trading-favre/

Get traded woke Favre up just as it woke Cris Carter up to get released by Philadelphia in the late 80s.

That being said, I wasn't implying that Reggie White personally delivered a Super Bowl to Green Bay, only that signing him to what was then a franchise QB contract did not cripple the Packers' ability to field an elite roster.

Reggie White was also 32 years old, Suh is only 28.

This was a great signing, stars win Superbowls, not good to average players. Prior to Suh, who on the Dolphins is top 5 in the NFL at their position? Perhaps Wake?

Two Super Bowl teams:
New England - Brady, Gronkowski and Revis are all top 5 at their position. Perhaps McCourty too.

Seattle - Lynch, Sherman and Thomas are all top 5 at their postion. Perhaps Wagner too.

Great signing, kudos to the Dolphins front office and coaching staff for this.

More on the Packers landing White at the link (interesting reading in it's own right): http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/191927631.html

By the way, White's agent? Jimmy Sexton. :lol:

By the end of 1993, Steve Young and Troy Aikman would sign new deals, making White would be only the fifth highest paid player in the NFL in per year salary (Barry Sanders made more in pure salary, while Marino actually made less).

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-12-24/sports/sp-5081_1_dallas-cowboys

How does this compare with Suh's deal? Well, I'll let Dave Hyde explain:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...olphins-megadeal-with-suh-20150308-story.html

There's no disputing that the Suh deal is huge. It certainly gave me sticker shock, like it did many other people. But when you look at the historical perspective, is it really that outrageous? It's not, honestly. And it's not like making that deal crippled the Packers' budget. As we all know, three years after the ink was dry on the White deal, the Packers took home the Lombardi trophy.

And two years after Aikman signed his $50 million contract, the Cowboys signed Deion Sanders to a then crazy (for a defensive player) $35 million contract in the second year of free agency, which was then (1995) $37.1 million. :lol:

Reggie White was also 32 years old, Suh is only 28.

This was a great signing, stars win Superbowls, not good to average players. Prior to Suh, who on the Dolphins is top 5 in the NFL at their position? Perhaps Wake?

Two Super Bowl teams:
New England - Brady, Gronkowski and Revis are all top 5 at their position. Perhaps McCourty too.

Seattle - Lynch, Sherman and Thomas are all top 5 at their postion. Perhaps Wagner too.

Great signing, kudos to the Dolphins front office and coaching staff for this.

Great point.

And two years after Aikman signed his $50 million contract, the Cowboys signed Deion Sanders to a then crazy (for a defensive player) $35 million contract in the second year of free agency, which was then (1995) $37.1 million. :lol:

Yeah I remember the sweepstakes for Deion. As I recall one of the times he came free we were one of the finalists and he was actually was on the sideline for one of our preseason games.

We played badly. He signed elsewhere. Then we probably signed like Steve Emtman or something. :(

Yeah I remember the sweepstakes for Deion. As I recall one of the times he came free we were one of the finalists and he was actually was on the sideline for one of our preseason games.

We played badly. He signed elsewhere. Then we probably signed like Steve Emtman or something. :(

Also traded for Terrell Buckley, so joke's on the Cowgirls.

Also traded for Terrell Buckley, so joke's on the Cowgirls.

Buckley is a great example of why it's always better to get the geniune article. People thought -- especially T-Buck -- that he was going to be the next Deion Sanders. Well, not so much, though he eventually remade himself as a nice player. Same thing happened with Dez Bryant and Justin Blackmon.

It wasn't stupidity and stubbornness on Glanville's part. Favre was a drunk. As Glanville put it:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/18/glanvilles-eye-opening-explanation-of-trading-favre/

Get traded woke Favre up just as it woke Cris Carter up to get released by Philadelphia in the late 80s.

That being said, I wasn't implying that Reggie White personally delivered a Super Bowl to Green Bay, only that signing him to what was then a franchise QB contract did not cripple the Packers' ability to field an elite roster.

That's funny, I forgot that about Favre although I do remember the painkiller issue.

Back
Top Bottom