Report: Rey Maualuga working out and Signs for Dolphins | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Rey Maualuga working out and Signs for Dolphins

The Saints have had a hell of an offseason...

Significant Additions: WR Ted Ginn Jr. (FA), RB Adrian Peterson (FA), G Larry Warford (FA), LB A.J. Klein (FA), LB Manti Te’o (FA), QB Chase Daniel (FA), DE Alex Okafor (FA)

CB Marshon Lattimore (R1), OT Ryan Ramczyk (R1), S Marcus Williams (R2), RB Alvin Kamara (R3), LB Alex Anzalone (R3), DE Trey Hendrickson (R3).

When Breaux heals up they could have one of the better CB duos in the entire league if Lattimore is the real deal. They also got their version of Branch in Okafor on a 1 year 3 million deal.

These are all reasons why I hammered the Over on their win total of 8.

That's a fair assessment okafor looks like a steal. Anzalone looks NFL ready Klein solid. I'd worry about the tackle situation in pass pro but Brees and Payton as a playcaller can probably offset. Definitely look improved.

San Diego on the other hand looks a mess already

I would say the number of those is dwarfed by the number of Gase retreads- Cutler, Thomas, Bushrod, Fales, Perry... Have I even got them all? There were probably others last season too.

Still, it speaks to Gase's influence in personnel decision making.

I actually see this as a good thing, that a coach has 'guys' that he likes because he feels like he can communicate well with them and they can deliver what he wants at those positions. Parcells had a lot of success because those 'Parcells guys' weren't valued by the rest of the league, but they could make the Tuna's teams work.

In hindsight, I think a big red flag with Joe Philbin should have been that we never showed any interest in any ex-Packers. Despite Aaron Rodgers' glowing endorsement of him when we hired him, I think it became clear that Joe couldn't connect with or form relationships with his players for the most part.

When a coach starts bringing in "his guys" from the past, it's a high-risk/high-reward thing. If it works out, the coach is a genius. If it doesn't work out, the coach often gets fired. There's very little in-between.

I would say the number of those is dwarfed by the number of Gase retreads- Cutler, Thomas, Bushrod, Fales, Perry... Have I even got them all? There were probably others last season too.

Still, it speaks to Gase's influence in personnel decision making.

I was also including defensive staff. Coyle , Joseph, and Burke.

When TJ Mac is back I won't be shocked if we see some 4-2-5.

As bad as we were against the run last year, after Raekwon got hurt, we absolutely needed a LB that can play the run. Rey is going to get burned against the pass but he won't be getting snaps in long yardage. Where he may have a problem against the pass is essentially 1st and ten or like second and four. In run or pass situations, the other team could try to exploit him in coverage. We will have to live with a bit of that just to be able to play the run, unfortunately.

Going forward, it would be great if we could spend another high draft pick at LB. To me, linebacker and guard are two underrated positions. You look at a good organization like Baltimore and they want to excel at those spots and, more often that not, they do. You want a tough, physical football team? Get tough guards and linebackers. We still have a number of needs but if we drafted a LB and OG in the first couple of rounds next year, that could be a major plus in the building of this team.

The majority of our defensive snaps, like last year, will be in 4-2-5 regardless of TJ's return. A base front 7 has become less common due to offenses relying heavily on 11 personnel.

Baltimore also puts a higher premium on LB than we do. They'll often run a 3-3 or 2-4 front in their Nickel packages because they have better athletes and pass rushers in the LB unit we have.

The majority of our defensive snaps, like last year, will be in 4-2-5 regardless of TJ's return. A base front 7 has become less common due to offenses relying heavily on 11 personnel.

Baltimore also puts a higher premium on LB than we do. They'll often run a 3-3 or 2-4 front in their Nickel packages because they have better athletes and pass rushers in the LB unit we have.

Good points. I should have been more specific. I was referring more to the 4-2-5, where you have a third safety in a hybrid S/LB role, sometimes called the husky. You see this more in college these days to get speed on the field even in a base package. With neither TJ nor Reshad having great range, but being among the 11 best defenders we have, I could see sacrificing a LB to get two SS on the field, with Nate Allen responsible for the back end. I didn't mean the standard nickel or dime packages. I think if we are creative, we could have this hybrid type of downhill safety. I am not sure you need the conventional big SAM guy with the weak guy. Jimmy Johnson would set up his D with speed and would sacrifice the 255 lb SAM for a 235 lb kid who could fly, even at SAM. Extrapolating this further, you play two SS and move one LB off the field. As bad as we were defending slants and the middle of the field in general, I'd be interested in seeing two strong safeties when they are as good as Reshad and TJ. In spots at least.

I agree with your point about Baltimore's defense and their emphasis on LB. But I still think we need an emphasis on upgrading LB and having some studs in there. Difference makers are hard to find so I wouldn't mind a high pick on the position, even with McMillan.

Last edited:
Good points. I should have been more specific. I was referring more to the 4-2-5, where you have a third safety in a hybrid S/LB role, sometimes called the husky. You see this more in college these days to get speed on the field even in a base package. With neither TJ nor Reshad having great range, but being among the 11 best defenders we have, I could see sacrificing a LB to get two SS on the field, with Nate Allen responsible for the back end. I didn't mean the standard nickel or dime packages. I think if we are creative, we could have this hybrid type of downhill safety. I am not sure you need the conventional big SAM guy with the weak guy. Jimmy Johnson would set up his D with speed and would sacrifice the 255 lb SAM for a 235 lb kid who could fly, even at SAM. Extrapolating this further, you play two SS and move one LB off the field. As bad as we were defending slants and the middle of the field in general, I'd be interested in seeing two strong safeties when they are as good as Reshad and TJ. In spots at least.

I agree with your point about Baltimore's defense and their emphasis on LB. But I still think we need an emphasis on upgrading LB and having some studs in there. Difference makers are hard to find so I wouldn't mind a high pick on the position, even with McMillan.

I don't think its out of the realm for sure... get one of our bigger hitting safeties up close with the speed to cover too

According to Armando, he is in the 260's and we want him to lose at least 10 pounds before practicing?!

According to Armando, he is in the 260's and we want him to lose at least 10 pounds before practicing?!

Well it's August in Florida. Get him out on the field conditioning or something. The heat should help with the weight. Lol. Oh an try some of our super duper shakes from the science department instead of fast food.

In hindsight, I think a big red flag with Joe Philbin should have been that we never showed any interest in any ex-Packers. Despite Aaron Rodgers' glowing endorsement of him when we hired him, I think it became clear that Joe couldn't connect with or form relationships with his players for the most part.
You may be right but I interpreted it differently. I assumed that Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson wished him well as he walked out the door and warned him to keep his hands off any Packers players. I may be wrong but my read is that old Joe is a pretty honest guy with good ethics (who had just gone through the emotional trauma of burying his son) and his nature was not to confront his Green Bay buddies - i.e. leave it to the GM, Jeff Ireland to look elsewhere when recruiting players. I actually think that Aaron Rodgers was speaking honestly in endorsing Joe, because he was instrumental in Rodgers personal development and there was a strong bond between them. Ultimately, Joe's shortcomings were fully exposed in his inability to motivate players and that is a critical part of the role. Being a good #2, doesn't mean that the necessary attributes are there to make it as a Head Coach. The contrast in style from Joe Philbin to Adam Gase is stark. We now have a Head Coach who commands respect and has the skills and confidence to put his stamp on the team and inspire the players.

Agreed! I could see a 1st spent on BA LB, then in the 2nd BA OL (inc. OT, as I'm now questioning J. James future). Hit these two weak areas HARD.

If he wasnt in shape probably should have waited to sign him after week One I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom