Report: Rey Maualuga working out and Signs for Dolphins | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Report: Rey Maualuga working out and Signs for Dolphins

He fixes a Problem cheap without going out and spending future draft picks do do so. If someone comes available we can still bring them in and cut bait with Ray...

I like the signing. Last year our LBs couldn't stop the run or cover, so if he can do one of the two that would be better. In the land of the blind the one eye man is king. He has a nasty attitude this defense needs to learn, and he has worked under Burke, so that will help. If someone better gets cuts we can keep Rey and drop one of the gaggle of undrafted free agents we pretend our NFL LBs.

Ya i won't complain. He is better than all but 2 lb we have on this team right now.

I like the signing. Last year our LBs couldn't stop the run or cover, so if he can do one of the two that would be better. In the land of the blind the one eye man is king. He has a nasty attitude this defense needs to learn, and he has worked under Burke, so that will help. If someone better gets cuts we can keep Rey and drop one of the gaggle of undrafted free agents we pretend our NFL LBs.
This. All this. He's probably a 2 down thumper at this point which is better than what we currently have.

Does this mean we are stuck with him for the year or can we cut him if we find someone better?

I think we could relaase him if we find a better option and or he is just awful. In the big picture, were not talking about eating a lot against the cap if we release him. I don't see the huge difference e in waiting and signing him after week one because it's not a huge contract.

I think we could relaase him if we find a better option and or he is just awful. In the big picture, were not talking about eating a lot against the cap if we release him. I don't see the huge difference e in waiting and signing him after week one because it's not a huge contract.

I am pretty sure the vet minimum contracts are fully gauranteed, but only count 625k against the cap.

Just can't seem to get our fill of Bengals' defensive castoffs.
I would say the number of those is dwarfed by the number of Gase retreads- Cutler, Thomas, Bushrod, Fales, Perry... Have I even got them all? There were probably others last season too.

Still, it speaks to Gase's influence in personnel decision making.

Maualuga saw his playing time decrease significantly as last year wore on, struggling to produce at the level of previous seasons. Maualuga played on just 30 percent of defensive snaps compared to 57 percent in 2015.

Now 30 years old, the trend wasn't going to reverse.

"He realizes the way the league is now," defensive coordinator Paul Guenther said at the NFL Scouting Combine in early March. "I tell Rey a lot he's synonymous with the fullback. The run-stopping linebacker is the fullback, as soon as you see the fullback run on the field he can run on, too. But that doesn't happen very often."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...hy-bengals-released-lb-rey-maualuga/99623618/

I think this is part of it- as we said teams are more in nickel but we need a run stuffing LB on the roster.

Teams like Seattle had the best idea when it came to linebackers. When their linebacker corps was KJ Wright, Bobby Wagner, and Bruce Irvin they had 2 good linebackers who could play all 3 downs and a strong side guy who could also get after the passer as a DE on passing downs. And then that big safety to help vs the run as well

It seems like the whole "2 down thumper" is really a 1 down player.

He ís only 30 but has taken tons of contact..
he is here for 15-20 plays a game.
Goal line situation I think he can shed a bit better than Hull.
900k why not.. though I think there are some better options he is a good guy and can still thump.. good qbs will pick on him at this point though

The real problem is when Miami plays in base formations, it really limits what that unit can do. If you ask him to cover guys in space...yikes.

I wouldn't doubt if he doesn't even play all the base snaps at MLB.

**** it, let's just run a 5-2 defense!

When TJ Mac is back I won't be shocked if we see some 4-2-5.

As bad as we were against the run last year, after Raekwon got hurt, we absolutely needed a LB that can play the run. Rey is going to get burned against the pass but he won't be getting snaps in long yardage. Where he may have a problem against the pass is essentially 1st and ten or like second and four. In run or pass situations, the other team could try to exploit him in coverage. We will have to live with a bit of that just to be able to play the run, unfortunately.

Going forward, it would be great if we could spend another high draft pick at LB. To me, linebacker and guard are two underrated positions. You look at a good organization like Baltimore and they want to excel at those spots and, more often that not, they do. You want a tough, physical football team? Get tough guards and linebackers. We still have a number of needs but if we drafted a LB and OG in the first couple of rounds next year, that could be a major plus in the building of this team.

Sounds crazy but I'd monitor the saints lb situation. They have gone from one of the thinnest worst lb corp. in football to maybe the deepest in one offseason. I bet that front office is stoked.

Sounds crazy but I'd monitor the saints lb situation. They have gone from one of the thinnest worst lb corp. in football to maybe the deepest in one offseason. I bet that front office is stoked.

The Saints have had a hell of an offseason...

Significant Additions: WR Ted Ginn Jr. (FA), RB Adrian Peterson (FA), G Larry Warford (FA), LB A.J. Klein (FA), LB Manti Te’o (FA), QB Chase Daniel (FA), DE Alex Okafor (FA)

CB Marshon Lattimore (R1), OT Ryan Ramczyk (R1), S Marcus Williams (R2), RB Alvin Kamara (R3), LB Alex Anzalone (R3), DE Trey Hendrickson (R3).

When Breaux heals up they could have one of the better CB duos in the entire league if Lattimore is the real deal. They also got their version of Branch in Okafor on a 1 year 3 million deal.

These are all reasons why I hammered the Over on their win total of 8.

Where he may have a problem against the pass is essentially 1st and ten or like second and four. In run or pass situations, the other team could try to exploit him in coverage. We will have to live with a bit of that just to be able to play the run, unfortunately.

This is what worries me. I'm almost never in agreement with Mel Kiper, but he had a point when talking about the decision to draft McMillan. Maualuga is an older version of McMillan. Depending on the offensive personnel, he will be in on 1st, maybe 2nd down. I believe teams will now try to attack us with endless schemes to isolate the linebackers in coverage on 1st down.

Back
Top Bottom