Retain, Tag, or Let Walk? - William Hayes | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Retain, Tag, or Let Walk? - William Hayes

Should the Dolphins retain William Hayes or let him walk?

• Retain

Votes: 73 94.8%
  • Let Walk

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
usa_today_10335516.0.jpg

Today, we continue with defensive end William Hayes.
The Dolphins brought Hayes to South Florida from the Los Angeles Rams last offseason in exchange for moving back from no. 206 to no. 223 in the NFL Draft. When Dolphins fans criticize Vice President of Football Operations Mike Tannenbaum, they often overlook some of his more prudent moves, such as the acquiring of Hayes. The veteran defensive end was absolute steal considering what the team gave up for him.
https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/2...lk-william-hayes-miami-dolphins-defensive-end

Assuming his back is good to go, we should resign Hayes. Good to have an excellent edge setter in the rotation at DE...especially in a division with the Jets and Bills looking to establish a running game

Strong edge setter, big reason run defense improved. Good veteran presence. Not sure his cost, but if reasonable I would definitely bring back.

Keep him to rotate with Harris and find Wake a better partner on his side to rotate with

Provided he can pass a physical I saw a number of $4 mil fully guaranteed. That’s about $2 mil less than I think his value is to us

But if I’m miami given his age his coming off back injury and he doesn’t fit many schemes I’m asking him to wait til after the draft

No reason to make it a free agency priority unless miami has no 43 de rotational draft add priority

We made a lot of jokes at his expense, but he has been exactly what we wanted at LDE. My only complain would be that he's old and got injured ... otherwise I'd call this acquisition a home run ... an absolute steal. Definitely re-sign him as long as he is getting healthy.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/2018-nfl-free-agency-tracker

Look at this graded free agent list. Right now Hayes is the 14 th ranked free agent, but we all know that most of the guys ahead of him on this list will never hit free agency.

Dallas has already said Lawrence will be tagged if no deal is reached, and that is the case for several of the others as well. Brees has said he won't play anywhere else, so he is definitely not available.

In fact, I would predict that the only players ahead of Williams on this list will be:
Patrick Robinson,Dion Lewis,Andrew Norwell,Tyvon Branch,and maybe EJ Gaines. Bills have plenty of cap room, especially if they draft a QB and release what's his name. Eric Wood is retiring as well freeing up another nearly 10 mil in cap.

So, bottom line is that Hayes will be a top ten free agent come March. He will also be the top ranked edge defender out there, and if the Saints find a way to keep Okafor, the next ranked edge defender behind Hayes will be_______________________________________Dion Jordan.

So William Hayes has everything going for him, and if he wasn't 33 and coming off an injury, he would probably be getting a monster contract; as it is, he won't be cheap, and the Dolphins aren't really in a position where they can get into a bidding over a 33 year old DE.

No, Hayes will do well for himself and could end up with one of the 28 teams who have more cap room than the Dolphins.

His size and versatility make him of use to teams running different fronts and even as an undersized 5-technique in a 3-4.

Back
Top Bottom