Rex Ryan: Mario Williams gets 'everything he wants' in Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rex Ryan: Mario Williams gets 'everything he wants' in Miami

Tiko377

Active Roster
Reaction score
BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Mario Williams did not hide his feelings last season that he wasn't thrilled with his role in Rex Ryan's defense. The once-feared pass-rusher was used more often in coverage than in previous seasons, and his production (and effort, in some cases) slipped as a result.
Weeks after the Buffalo Bills released Williams and he later signed with the Miami Dolphins, Ryan said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings that Williams found the perfect landing spot.
"I think he’ll play left end, and when you’ve got [Ndamukong Suh] inside, it’s set up to play a 4-3 defense. I think that’s what they'll do with him. Play a nine technique, everything he wants," Ryan said, taking a jab at Williams' apparent resistance toward his role last season in the Bills' scheme.
So does Ryan think Williams will have his return trip to Ralph Wilson Stadium circled on his calendar once the NFL releases its schedule next month?
"I don’t know," Ryan responded. "We may have it circled."
Despite Ryan taking a "don't let the door hit you on your way out" approach to his first comments about Williams since the defensive lineman's release, Ryan's tone changed when a reporter asked about the perception that Williams disrupted the Bills' locker room last season.
"I think that was kind of overblown a little bit," Ryan said. "I think Mario ... I like him personally. He’s not perfect, just like the rest of them. I’m [not] perfect. I like Mario, and he’s been a great player in this league, a very productive player in this league, and I didn’t want to lose him, but that’s just the way it is."

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bil...io-williams-gets-everything-he-wants-in-miami

Rex Ryan is an interesting character. As far as Williams goes why not go where the scheme fits your talents better. Ryan knows defense, but to have Williams cover doesn't make much sense. Imagine Cam Wake covering instead of rushing the passer. That's just not utilizing his talents.

Line him up against Henderson and he will eat up Tyrod.

Still the most underrated move this offseason.

Guy could potentially blow away Vernon's stats from last year at half the price.

Still the most underrated move this offseason.

Guy could potentially blow away Vernon's stats from last year at half the price.

Yes I absolutely love this move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like to me Ryan won't miss him, and I doubt Williams will miss Ryan.

I don't know if age has caught up with Williams or not. But I think it's short cited to automatically assume how Ryan wanted to use him may not have played a major role in Williams performance last year. What I do know is OV wasn't worth what he wanted and got paid, and I'm really happy the Dolphins had a plan to replace him. IMO I think Williams has a better year than OV this year and I think Williams will lead the Phins in sacks this year.

I guess everyone will find out this year.

I am not sure about Williams having the games VS Buffalo circled, I am sure he will extra motivated. I do hope that Adam Gase has every AFC East match up circled. The Dolphins have been pathetic in divisional games recently and must reverse that trend.

I think Rex is well on his way to being a former head coach again already.

He is right on schedule.

Hiring his brother means their defense will only continue to get worse, probably at a quicker clip now.

It would be nothing short of shocking to see a former AFC East rivals player come to Miami and then get payback on his former team. Dolphins have always been much better at being the punching bag for their discarded talent.

If Williams doesn't have the date we play the Bills circled then we signed the wrong guy. We don't need another guy here just to collect a check and enjoy the nightlife in Miami. We need guys who want to play together as a team and are relentless in their desire to win. Guys who hate to lose and will do everything in their power - short of deflating footballs - to win. We will know soon enough if this is Williams. Hopefully it is.

Williams had 5 sacks in a D he wasn't suited for. He may not hit 14 like he did the year before that, but I say 10 will happen. Rex was a decent coach before he believed in his own hype. Had to give his brother a job before they both were jobless.

Rex Ryan is an interesting character. As far as Williams goes why not go where the scheme fits your talents better. Ryan knows defense, but to have Williams cover doesn't make much sense. Imagine Cam Wake covering instead of rushing the passer. That's just not utilizing his talents.

Kevin Coyle didn't see a problem with Cam Wake in coverage

I think Rex is well on his way to being a former head coach again already.

He is right on schedule.

Hiring his brother means their defense will only continue to get worse, probably at a quicker clip now.

I hope more than almost anything that those two asshats get in a fight on the sideline with each other. There has to be some deep down Christmas of 87 stuff that can boil up at the wrong time. Hell, what other HC and DC have taken baths together? Bellicheck and Patricia? Ew

Back
Top Bottom