Richmond Webb.... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Richmond Webb....

Hey Ck would you like me to ship you the 3 mags I have from that year stating Webb has not been putting the effort from previous years and being a little selfish wanting the team to let him go to another that will give him a longterm contract and not franchise him?

Sporting News, Lindy's, and an SI article. Webb was selfish in his latter years and I doubt he'd want to come back here anyway. What did you guys see him that I didn't? He has no fire on runs at all. I'd rather a decent pass blocker and solid run blocker at LT than a solid pass blocker and a decent run blocker at LT on a team that likes to run alot.

What I know is what was said about Richmond Webb by other players on the team. He was one of if not the biggest locker room leader on the team post-Dan in 2000. Everyone on the team looked up to him. They all constantly came up to him looking for advice and he gave it freely. He led by example. No player likes to be tagged with the franchise tag, but the team was not willing to give him the longterm contract he deserved and could have probably gotten via free agency.

So to conclude, yes. I would like you to send me those articles that called him "selfish" Because first off I believe you're exaggerating and the articles probably in fact said no such thing, just mentioned how Webb is angry that the team slapped the franchise tag on him, which EVERY player gets angry over, and second if they did say that I'd like to see their basis for it because we've heard nothing from players or coaches to suggest Webb was anything but a model NFL player, and a leader.

I agree with CK on this one..Miami was not willing to pay Web the long term contact,,and basically stopped him from getting a bigger payday in his earlier years by Franchising him for the last 2 years before he signed with the Bengals...Now Miami ended up paying him approximately 10 mil over 2 years..because the avg for LT in the NFL was about 5 mil.(top paid).I didn't under stand this because Mimia probaly could have paid web a 5-7 mil signing bonus..2mil a year for 3years and gotten away with it. Basically paying him what he got in 2 over 3 and saved cap space each year..a nice bonus check for all the years Web play and then move or let him retire after this year.

I hated to franchise him every year. But don't you think the Phins tried to get a deal done with him and he prob wouldn't accept anything the Phins were offering. I'm sure it was also at least the amount of franchise or we wouldn't franchise him at all.

I agree he may have been looked up to. But that doesn't mean he wasn't selfish for not signing a better deal that the Phins were offering and help the team with the cap. I don't care what anyone says 5mil is alot of money and you could live for life off just one season at that.

You're arguing a very one-sided argument. Its selfish for Webb to refuse the Dolphins' offers no matter how low they were, yet its not selfish to expect him to play for less money just to stay on this team? I hate when fans try to take advantage of players like that. If Richmond Webb wasn't talented you'd be all for dropping him like a bad habit. Teams and fans have no loyalty to a player outside of talent, so why should a player have any loyalty to a team outside of money?

Personally, I think IF Webb does get released the Dolphins would stand a good chance of getting him back if they are truly interested. I also think that he may come back home and play for less than he might for another team. I don't know that for fact, just my feeling on the matter. But remember, this is the Bengals. Knowing them they'll cut Jones and sign Webb to an extension.

I would love to see Webb come back, it's where he belongs. As for all the times he was franchised, I don't think he was going to get much more, if any, for another team so I wouldn't consider him getting screwed.

Where are you getting I didn't want him to go? I'll leave it as this...he's overrated, has been for a long time...prob wouldn't do any better than people we have.

I hope we don't sign him but if we do I'll root for just like all other Phins. I don't root for players, I root for the Dolphins. If Dan had gone to another team I'd have rooted against him as hard as any other non-Dolphin player.

I just happen to not like him and think yes he was selfish for not signing a deal.How do you know it was less? Most of the players who get released for cap reasons get nowhere near what they were getting from the team that released him.

Webb wasn't released. He was a free agent. We franchised him. We were offering him less than market value for an extension because we had the leverage, we had the franchise tag on him.

Selfish for signing with another team because they offer more money, yet you're not selfish for wanting to drop him like a bad habit just cuz you felt his talent had slipped and he became "overrated" Think about that for a moment.

I don't think for a sec that's being selfish. Selfish is thinking only of one's self. I'm forming an opinion of a player. I feel it was in the best interest of the team to quit frachising a guy every season and eating a large portion of your cap for one player that is not worth what he's being paid.

When did I say we released him?

Richmond Webb was probably the best LT in the league in pass protection. He did an excellent job of protecting Marino's blindside. He neutralized Bruce Smith. As long as Marino was QB, he was very much needed to protect him. Webb was not nearly as good as a run blocker though.

With Marino now retired, to be replaced by Fiedler and Lucas, who are good running QBs, and Miami changing to a run-first mentality on offense, there was no need in paying $5mil. + for a LT that is purely a pass protector. Simply put, Webb no longer fit Miami's scheme. It wouldn't have been very prudent of Miami to pay premium money for a LT who's only need would have been to pass protect on 3rd down for a QB that could just take off and run when pressured.

If Miami had continued to pay Webb premium $$$, there would have been that much less room on the salary cap to sign the FAs and give the contract extensions they have since Webb's departure.

In today's NFL, there's little loyalty. The NFL is a business, and the salary cap keeps it that way. With no cap, Miami could have afforded to be loyal to Webb if they chose to. But with the cap in place, once a player outgrows his usefulness, he's gone. It may not seem fair, but that's life in the NFL. Webb went somewhere else to get the money he feels he deserves, and I have no qualms with him for that.

I like Webb a lot and wish him the best, but he's not needed in Miami as a starter. If he were to accept a back-up role with minimal pay, I wouldn't be against it, but I don't see Webb doing that. I think he would retire first.

i didn't get to watch the scrimmage with the titans, but my son did. he said the run blocking was better than it had been in years, so in a nutshell, webb had to go!

Brent Smith was not very impressive with the run blocking. Jamie Nails was, when the first unit was in. The interior OL during the 2nd team and rookie phases looked good as well.

If Webb signed anywhere it wouldn't be for much beyond the league minimum. Heck even if we just outright traded for him from the Bengals he would only be getting $1.5 million from us. Is $1.5 million worth it for us? Yes. We may have a QB who can run, but Norv's system doesn't call for a QB who can run, he much prefers the QB to sit in the pocket and make the best decision of what to do with the football, only running when something breaks down. In that regard he's going to have Jay sitting there more and it necessitates a capable LT to keep people from knocking Jay to kingdom come.

And by the way Richmond Webb's run blocking in 2000 was really good. He wasn't a road grader but he was more than capable, and definitely better than what Brent Smith showed in the Titans scrimmage, or even what Marcus Spriggs showed us in the Titans season game before he tore the ACL.

Back
Top Bottom