Ricky not breaking the long ones... (and other observations) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky not breaking the long ones... (and other observations)

I believe he was originally drafted by the Jets...

Originally posted by dolfan06
Riggo was a redskin! i was at that SB!

Originally posted by PhinKev
I'm getting tired of this Ricky isn't a big play back. This is all based on smack from Saint fans. Why don't we give the guy a chance in our system before we pass judgment? Emmitt isn't fast and he'll brake one every now and again. Even Lamar Smith had a few big runs.

Give Ricky some time and some help around him and he might rumble a bit farther than people think.

My post wasn't meant as a knock on Ricky. But, Emmit Smith was the perfect example I was thinking of as the contrast to what I noticed about Ricky. In fact I think Ricky is faster than Emmit. But, go watch some highlights on Emmitt and you will see what I am talking about. He is very active in using his hands to "defend" against a tackler... pushing them away from them so he can run around them. Ricky will just keep going straight and hope he can bullrush his way through them.

Its not necessarily a bad thing... as it will wear down defenses, because like someone else said, late in a game a defender will be afraid of going head on with Ricky. I just think when he gets into those one on one situations, he should try to use his hands a little more to slip a tackle... as long as it doesn't lead to fumbling.

the statement i was referring to

Originally posted by scotgif
Now Zonk was not fast by any means, but the thing that amazed me was that he was a lot faster than people give him credit for. I remember many times saying the same thing as he outran opponents down the feild.

ASs for Riggins, he was a big back that was a bruiser with very good speed for a big guy. Now, he would outrun defensive guys all the time. I STILL have nighmares about his stiiff-arm of Don McNeal, and then outrunning the entire Fins D down the sideline for a long TD run. in the SB. Riggo was awesome! Even if he was a jest!
was the straight arm on don mcneal in the SB, then he was a redskin. i don't really care if he was a jet first!:rolleyes:

I know that RW has at least one run over 40 yards....actually 46 yards......I don't know any of the circumstances surrounding the run...but it's right there in his Bio......in the 2001 season....his longest that year......I'm not going to say that proves he's a break-away back....but it makes saying he has never had a run over 30 yards a lie.

Originally posted by inFINSible
I know that RW has at least one run over 40 yards....actually 46 yards......I don't know any of the circumstances surrounding the run...but it's right there in his Bio......in the 2001 season....his longest that year......I'm not going to say that proves he's a break-away back....but it makes saying he has never had a run over 30 yards a lie.

I don't know who ever said he didn't have a run over 30yrds. I believe what is said is he's only had one long run in 3 yrs.....or he hasn't had one over 50 in his career. In his first 2 years he hasn't had one over 26, last year he had a 46 yrd run. Deuce had a 54 yrd run, and only got the ball 16 times.......he did something Ricky hasn't done in 800+ carries.

Who wants big plays from RW???????? My big plays from him involved 3rd and 1's and 2 yard TD runs. The longer the offense holds the ball the less the defense has to play and fresher they will be.

Originally posted by DNY
Who wants big plays from RW???????? My big plays from him involved 3rd and 1's and 2 yard TD runs. The longer the offense holds the ball the less the defense has to play and fresher they will be.

Not that I want to argue this, but I really have to disagree with your statement. In the NFL today, it is very hard to sustain a long drive. The days of 20 play drives are distant memories. You have to have some big play potential to score points. That's just the way it is.

So what does that mean for Ricky? The fact that he doesn't break long runs doesn't mean we plod down the field. It means that the safeties come up and he sets up the long pass (Assuming Fiedler can throw it).

Besides, despite the contention of our Saint-fan friends, I see no reason that Ricky cannot be a big play back in the right kind of offense. It's not based on anything but my personal opinion.

If I'm wrong and Ricky doesn't have a few big runs I'm sure the resident Saint fans will remember to point out this post to me.

20 play drives?????? No reason to exxagerate things. I'm willing to bet that DW and Norv are looking for 13-14 play drives. in those you can bet there will be some 3rd and 5 passes to Konrad, a 3rd and 7 to McMichael or Ward. Will RW break a couple of 30, 40, 50, maybe 60 yard runs this season, I'd think a few but the mindset is that this offense is going to pound the ball and benefit from a big play by Chambers or McKnight every once in a while. I think that from the very start RW was brought in here as a power runner and not looked on for "big play" production. Will he provide a couple of big plays, I believe he will, but I don't think that is why they got him and what this offense needs to be successful.

Originally posted by DNY
20 play drives?????? No reason to exxagerate things. I'm willing to bet that DW and Norv are looking for 13-14 play drives

Sorry, that looked silly the moment I posted it :rolleyes: .

I agree that the team is going to try for ball control. But we need the big play to score like most of the NFL. My only point is that the addition of Ricky doesn't mean we are not dangerous from anywhere in the field. Which, I think we both agree. So we are not really arguing.:cool:

Originally posted by scotgif
Now Zonk was not fast by any means, but the thing that amazed me was that he was a lot faster than people give him credit for. I remember many times saying the same thing as he outran opponents down the feild.

ASs for Riggins, he was a big back that was a bruiser with very good speed for a big guy. Now, he would outrun defensive guys all the time. I STILL have nighmares about his stiiff-arm of Don McNeal, and then outrunning the entire Fins D down the sideline for a long TD run. in the SB. Riggo was awesome! Even if he was a jest!

I watched Csonka play many times... don't forget, he was a fullback who had the likes of Morris and/or Kiick in the backfield with him... once he built up a "head of steam" it was hard to catch him, much less bring him down ( I remember seeing him literally DRAG 3 guys down the field for 5 extra yards) He was faster than he appeared ...once he got moving, but he was the type of back that would just run over you.. he made his own holes, if there was nothing in his way to slow him down, he'd be gone... sort of like Alstott, only better and meaner....

We're not saying RW cant break "any" long runs, just dont expect many. The thing about the long runs is that so many times RW had a huge hole w/ lots of daylight but always gets caught. So many times last year, after a 10-15yd RW run, I would think "man if duece had the ball on that carry it woulda been a 50-60yd TD run". Also, on Duece's long TD run last year (like 60yds I think), I remember thinking that had RW had the ball, he woulda been caught after about 20yds.

Somebody hit it pretty good on this board when they said they observed that RW doesn't use the stiff arm enough. He did use it sometimes w/ the saints, but most of the time he just tries to run over rather than evade the defender. But I think the biggest reason he lacks long runs is he doesn't have that extra gear to break away and he's very vunarable to ankle tackles.

This is not "smack" about RW. It just simply fact, opinion, and observations.

i don't think ricky was brought in to make long runs, but as a threat. he's a lot faster than lamar and will keep the defense honest and open some passing lanes for jay!

Back
Top Bottom