Ricky Rubio signs with Timberwolves | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky Rubio signs with Timberwolves

Clipse

mediocrity sucks
Reaction score
The long saga of Ricky Rubio and the Minnesota Timberwolves was resolved Wednesday, with Rubio finally agreeing to join the team that drafted him fifth overall in 2009 next season or whenever the league reaches a new labor agreement.

Ricky Rubio, left, will make his long awaited N.B.A. debut.
Rubio’s contract ends his recruitment from Spain by the Timberwolves since the 2009 draft. The unsettled labor negotiations and the probability of a lockout factored into the timing, hurrying a the resolution because Rubio had until the end of May to sign a contract locked into the terms of the current agreement and receive the salary of a rookie scale that could be reduced under a new deal between the league and its players.

The agreement was first reported by the Minneapolis radio station KFAN and confirmed by a person close to Rubio, who is completing his season in Europe with Regal Barcelona.

Rubio, a 20-year-old point guard, was considered a prodigy when he joined Spanish’s ACB League at the age of 14 and he is considered a gifted passer with a unique skill set. He gained the attention of N.B.A. scouts with his play for the Spanish national team in the 2008 Olympics.

But when the Timberwolves drafted him, they entered into the drawn-out process of luring him away from the Spanish league. Finally convincing Rubio to join is a triumph for Minnesota’s president of basketball operations David Kahn. Rubio was considered the jewel of Kahn’s first draft with the team and he had travelled to Spain many times in failed attempts to convince Rubio and his family to make the transition. Kahn had nearly reached an agreement to buy Rubio out from his previous team, DKV Joventut, when the negotiations collapsed.

Minnesota selected three point guards in the first round two years ago. Beyond Rubio, Jonny Flynn has yet to pan out and the Timberwolves immediately traded Ty Lawson, who has performed capably for the Denver Nuggets.

Minnesota finished last season with a league-low 17 wins. The job security of Kurt Rambis, Minnesota’s coach, is tenuous. The Timberwolves hold the second selection in this month’s N.B.A. draft and could now look to trade the pick.

Didn't think this was going to happen.

I personally think Rubio will be very successful in the NBA. His ball handling and passing ability is amongst the best I've ever seen from a prospect. The best part of his game is the pick and roll, and Rubio has a damn good player in Kevin Love to run it with.

i was excited about this kid a few years ago but averages of like 7 points and 3 assists per game the last few years not in the nba even has me kinda thinking he may be more hype than substance

this is ot but i'll tell ya who i'm excited about in the nba and someone i think people are sleeping on...jimmer fredette...i think he can be a jason terry like nba player

i'd love to have him in boston...he's not a wow athlete like you typically want and need in the nba these days but this kid will light you up as a pure scorer

he's instant o

i was excited about this kid a few years ago but averages of like 7 points and 3 assists per game the last few years not in the nba even has me kinda thinking he may be more hype than substance

I think a big part of his average comes from how FIBA basketball is played. It's so much more reliant on team ball and movement. Hell back during the Olympics several years ago where we were getting our *** whooped by Puerto Rico, it's clear that some people won't be as successful in international play as in the NBA.

The stats might not look impressive on paper, but there's a reason he's won all the awards he has. The style of play just doesn't allow for huge numbers. Not just for Rubio, but for most Euro players. Enes Kanter and Jonas Valanciunas haven't put up big numbers either. On tape, I'd say all 3 are legit top 6 prospects though. I think all 3 have skillsets that will translate over to the NBA. Rubio and Jonas will need to bulk up some though. Bismack Biyombo out of Congo is another Euro player I really like in this draft.

I think a big part of his average comes from how FIBA basketball is played. It's so much more reliant on team ball and movement. Hell back during the Olympics several years ago where we were getting our *** whooped by Puerto Rico, it's clear that some people won't be as successful in international play as in the NBA.

i can understand that...the pg for the bucks wasn't all that great when he went overseas before declaring for the draft either...name escapes me right now...but rubios not even starting for his italian league team as far as i know...i haven't really gotten to see much of him though since predraft a few years ago i saw some of his game footage

i can understand that...the pg for the bucks wasn't all that great when he went overseas before declaring for the draft either...name escapes me right now...but rubios not even starting for his italian league team as far as i know...i haven't really gotten to see much of him though since predraft a few years ago i saw some of his game footage
The Bucks PG is Brandon Jennings to let you know.

Back
Top Bottom