Ricky to the Steelers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky to the Steelers

islanddolphin

Scout Team
Reaction score
The Steelers just won the Super Bowl but will be in some serious problems resigning some key free agents and signing players to replace the ones they have to let go. They are almost 5 million over the projected cap right now. As of today they only have two running backs on their roster with Bettis retiring and third down back, Haynes, a unrestricted free agent. Parker is not an every down back and despite playing well this year is not the prototypical Steelers running back. Staley looks to be a salary cap hit with his number for next year at 2.65 million and being out most of this year with injuries. So the Steelers, who are a running team and wont be able to get one of the top running backs with the last pick in the first round, will need a big time back to try and get back to the Super Bowl. James will be demanding too much money and Alexander will resign with the Seahawks. So the Steelers can give Miami their first round pick for Williams, who is signed for two more years at the minimum, and if they want after this year can resign him for two or three more years after that. Ricky behind the Steelers line could easily run for 1500 yards with Parker as their third down back.

The Dolphins will then have another first round pick to add to the supply. With the first pick take the best player available out of corner/safety, linebacker or offensive lineman and with the second first rounder take the best out of those three that wasnt taken with the first pick. Imagine a first rounder like Cromartie and Justice or Greenway and Cromartie or McNeil. Dolphins will be set.

I like the line of thought, I just don't see it happening. I think even the Steelers would be hard pressed to send their 1st rounder for Ricky...even if it is the last pick in the first round.

As things stand unless Miami gets creative with the trade and inserts all kinds of protection clauses for the team that trades for Ricky, I don't see us getting more than a 2nd round pick...and I have to wonder if we could even get that.

i'm not sure where the thought has come from that ricky is worth a 1st rounder. at best he seems like a very late 2nd pick.

Interesting thought. Very logical, but Like others have mentioned... is Ricky really worth a #1 to other teams? Maybe. But I think there needs to be multiple teams interested to really get a 1 for him. Otherwise, my bet is still that he gets traded for a 4th and a conditional pick next year.

There are only two teams IMO that are in the running for Ricky- Denver and Carolina. Both of these teams are "close" teams, meaning they would give up something valuable to put themselves over the top to make a SB run.

Ricky is a short term solution- so he has to go to a team that is looking for one.

To a certain team Ricky Willaims is worth a 1st round pick yes. Look at Denver who basiclly threw a pick away last year drafting Clarret ( 3rd ). I could see them trading one of their two 1st rounds selctions for Ricky since he would be a big step up over what they have. Carolina might do that too. Look how much there team was better when it got Stephen Davis. Now they need another good back. Too some teams he is worth the risk if it means them in the Super Bowl.

Juan Cribbs said:
i'm not sure where the thought has come from that ricky is worth a 1st rounder. at best he seems like a very late 2nd pick.
It depends what happens. If teams start to get into a bidding war it is possible and if a team like Indy gets interested then it is very possible. With the departure of Edge they need a big time RB to fill that void and thats not something they are going to be able to get easily or nearly as cheap as Ricky would be. They don't reall have any other holes so they don't NEED their first and if thats what it takes to get them a Super Bowl or at least another shot at one I can easily see them giving up a 1st.

Juan Cribbs said:

I think it's because of his age, contract, attitude, & his play late in the year.

burghPhinFan said:
the Steelers do not take on players with character issues like Ricky. Never happen.
I don't think he has a character issue. He has always been a team player in Miami and was never disliked or caused any disruptions in the locker room. When he left he didn't really do it the right way, and maybe his dedication to the sport is in question, but not really his character.

sports24/7 said:
I don't think he has a character issue. He has always been a team player in Miami and was never disliked or caused any disruptions in the locker room. When he left he didn't really do it the right way, and maybe his dedication to the sport is in question, but not really his character.

:sidelol: Good one!

sports24/7 said:

I think I agree. I also think that if we think that Ricky Williams is a) the only weed user and b) the only drug user on our team then we're deluding ourselves.

If you were to ask players in that Miami locker room, they'd almost to a man tell you that Ricky may be a little different and a little kooky, but his character per se is strong.

Boomer said:
I think I agree. I also think that if we think that Ricky Williams is a) the only weed user and b) the only drug user on our team then we're deluding ourselves.

If you were to ask players in that Miami locker room, they'd almost to a man tell you that Ricky may be a little different and a little kooky, but his character per se is strong.

If Ricky doesn't have character issues, then I don't know what NFL player does. IMO quitters don't have strong character.

Because he decided to do something with his life that you didn't agree with, that automatically gives him bad character?

Terrell Owens hasa bad character. I repeat, ask the players in the locker room if Ricky has bad character.

Back
Top Bottom