Ricky Williams on ESPNradio... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ricky Williams on ESPNradio...

Ross

Trouble Shooter
Reaction score
...Was talking up the new EA football game.

They did get to ask him about the Marino hire and he said that only a fool couldn't see that this was a good hire for the Dolphins. Marino is the Dolphins.

Then they asked him what Miami needed to change when it comes to Dec. He said Miami didn't need to bring in any new players to get it done. He said that Miami had the players to get it done.

You got to like Ricky for that. Unwilling to stab any of his team mates in the back....

Originally posted by Ross
...Was talking up the new EA football game.

They did get to ask him about the Marino hire and he said that only a fool couldn't see that this was a good hire for the Dolphins. Marino is the Dolphins.

Then they asked him what Miami needed to change when it comes to Dec. He said Miami didn't need to bring in any new players to get it done. He said that Miami had the players to get it done.

You got to like Ricky for that. Unwilling to stab any of his team mates in the back....

Yeah, but he's being a bit disingenuous...if Miami doesn't need any new players to get it done, why the hell DIDN'T they get it done?

I believe Ricky showed quite a bit of maturity and responsibility in that comment, unlike many on this board.

I'm thinking he knows that NOBODY has the guaranteed formula for winning the SB. If they did, we'd have the same team winning it year to year. Nor does he believe that he has all the answers (wise man). Better to say nothing at all if you have nothing constructive to say. Class guy.

Furthermore....

The take-away here is that this move is OBVIOUSLY having a positive effect on the players. How can this NOT be good?

I think they'll jump behind Dan 100%...hopefully this will lead to improved motivation across the board.

Ricky should have rattled some bones like Madison & Zach do but thats just not Ricky's style.

Originally posted by NavyFishFan
I believe Ricky showed quite a bit of maturity and responsibility in that comment, unlike many on this board.

Oh yes...how irresponsible for anyone to make any derogatory comment about the Dolphins' front office on a message board. Why, it might cause a nuclear explosion! :rolleyes:

I'm thinking he knows that NOBODY has the guaranteed formula for winning the SB. If they did, we'd have the same team winning it year to year. Nor does he believe that he has all the answers (wise man). Better to say nothing at all if you have nothing constructive to say. Class guy.

Class, perhaps, but not a leader. A leader would be saying plain "We need help in some positions and I trust our front office to do the right thing." No need to name names, but at least it's honest.

Is it disingenuous to remain faithful to the friendships formed through physicial battle?

He believes in his team mates. Nothing wrong with that out of a player. That is how he should feel if he is to go on the field with them. Its' called class. Leave that other BS to the coaches where it belongs....

--Ross

Originally posted by Ross
Is it disingenuous to remain faithful to the friendships formed through physicial battle?

It's disingenuous to pretend that a team that has missed the playoffs and lost two of its last four games two years in a row doesn't need personnel help.

Originally posted by Rick 1966

Class, perhaps, but not a leader. A leader would be saying plain "We need help in some positions and I trust our front office to do the right thing." No need to name names, but at least it's honest.

And who are you to say what he "honestly" feels? Maybe he actually DOES feel they have the right people, if that makes him blind...so what...we hired him to run the ball not play GM, OR to be the "team leader." This is a vote of confidence in his teammates, several of which probably look up to him for his maturity and style, not to mention his "give all you got" style of play.

You've got serious issues man. Keep comin' after my posts genius. I like knowing that a dipsh1t totally disagrees with me.

Originally posted by Rick 1966

It's disingenuous to pretend that a team that has missed the playoffs and lost two of its last four games two years in a row doesn't need personnel help.

Its really not his place to make statements in the press regarding situations he is not responsible for nor can control.

That would be disrespectful, insubordinate and childish of him.

And who are you to say what he "honestly" feels? Maybe he actually DOES feel they have the right people, if that makes him blind...so what...we hired him to run the ball not play GM, OR to be the "team leader." This is a vote of confidence in his teammates, several of which probably look up to him for his maturity and style, not to mention his "give all you got" style of play.

Okay, maybe he DOES feel that way...who knows? If the Fins' players actually think their offense is good enough to win a SB, though, they need to start watching other teams play...like the Colts, Titans, Eagles...

You've got serious issues man. Keep comin' after my posts genius. I like knowing that a dipsh1t totally disagrees with me.

Yeah, I like knowing the same thing.

Its really not his place to make statements in the press regarding situations he is not responsible for nor can control.

That would be disrespectful, insubordinate and childish of him.

Oh of course it wouldn't. EVERYONE knows the Dolphins need personnel help, the front office and head coach have acknowledged it. If anything, he'd be echoing the party line. As I said, he doesn't need to name names...just acknowledge reality.

Watch it man. You're walking the line.

Ricky's being honest. We had the tools, we just didn't get the job done. One thing to keep in mind is that to make a real super bowl run there just have to be SO many things going your way.

I was talking to a friend of mine right around christmas, a die hard Bucs fan who gives me crap to no end about Miami. But he stopped giving crap for 5 minutes to just talk about a super bowl run. He said as a Bucs fan for the past few decades he's seen it all. He's seen the team blow chunks year after year. Then he saw the team have tons of talent and seem to waste it by not getting far into the playoffs year after year. Then he saw a super bowl, and now he's seen basically virtually the same super players and super coach go onto a losing season. And he said the one thing that stands out, is during a real genuine Super Bowl run, so many things have to go your way...the ball has to bounce just right here, you have to catch a lucky break there, you have to catch a team on a bad day there, etc. Basically for a one or two teams every year, coaches just have them in position to be dominant, and then they catch a bunch of breaks. The ones that don't catch breaks, don't win the super bowl.

Before Bill Parcells took over for the Cowboys Peter King asked him if he was going to win a super bowl with the boys within the next 3 years or so. Parcells looked flabberghasted at him and said "Do you KNOW how many things have to fall in place just right to win a super bowl??? Do you realize that of 32 teams, every year 31 of them will go home empty-handed? What would make you think I would expect to win a Super Bowl in the next three years?" Peter King responded that the Lombardi trophy was the goal of every coach in the league...so Parcells asked him "Do you expect to win a Pulitzer Prize within the next three years? Or do you expect to write as well as you can and see where it gets you"

Some coaches inspire better than others, and some coaches have a knack for keeping their team in position to be competitive on that level. But we should be happy that we have a coach and players that keep us competitive, players that Ricky says we could have gone all the way with as it was. We could have. We didn't.

Back
Top Bottom