RIP David Woodley / Sad (merged) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

RIP David Woodley / Sad (merged)

My condolences go out to the Woodley family and the rest of Dolphin land. As a Jets fan, Woodley is really the first QB I remember watching from the Dolphins. Gosh 44 is so young.

R.I.P. David! 44 is way to young to leave but reading about his life He's in a better place now!! Live every day like it might be your last!!

My first year as a Miami Dolphins fan I watched him play in the Super Bowl...right before Marino stepped into the picture...sad story...pray for his family for peace and comfort in thier time of sorrow... :(

What a shame....

I remember WoodStrock like it was yesterday...
In fact, the first Dolphins game I ever saw live, was at Shea Stadium on a Monday Night... Before the Meadowlands were even thought of...David Woodley had a great game... but the Phins still lost to the Jests ....

Rest In Peace David .... you are remembered .... and missed.

Former NFL QB Woodley dies
# Services not set for Shreveport resident.

Jimmy Watson / The Times
Posted on May 6, 2003

Shreveport lost one of its few residing former NFL players Monday when David Woodley, 44, passed away.

Woodley, who prepped at C.E. Byrd High School and played collegiately at LSU, played for five years in the National Football League with the Miami Dolphins and the Pittsburgh Steelers. He started for the Dolphins in the 1983 Super Bowl against the Washington Redskins.

The cause of Woodley's death was unknown Monday, but Woodley did have a successful liver transplant in April 1992. Funeral services had not been set by Monday afternoon according to his brother, Joe Woodley.

Former NFL All-Pro Pat Tilley, who coached the af2's Bossier City Battle Wings before this season, said Woodley was always willing to help in any way he could.

"David was a very private person but whenever I called him, he was willing to come out and help," Tilley said. "When he was playing, I always followed his career like I did Joe's (Ferguson) and Bert's (Jones). He was a great quarterback. We'll miss him."

One of the last public events in the area Woodley participated in was doing commentary at Byrd football games this past fall with Charlie Cavell.

"Not too often do you find a high school broadcasting crew that includes a former Super Bowl quarterback," Cavell said. "I was thrilled that David was willing to join me and share his knowledge of the game with our listening audience. I know he enjoyed it because it was a way for him to get reconnected to the community."

Woodley moved back to Shreveport in 1990 and continued working toward an Information Technology degree at LSU-Shreveport. He worked briefly as an insurance salesman and in the physical education department at LSUS.

After graduating from Byrd, Woodley signed with the late Charles McClendon at LSU where he shared playing time with Steve Ensminger. Although he didn't finish in the Top 10 of any LSU passing records, Woodley led the Tigers to a 34-10 victory over Wake Forest in the 1979 Tangerine Bowl and had the tools Miami coach Don Shula was looking for.

When Woodley took over the Dolphins' quarterback duties for Bob Griese, he had trouble adjusting to the increased media spotlight. That spotlight got even brighter in Super Bowl XVII, when he led Miami to a 17-10 halftime lead over the Redskins. The Dolphins still led with 10 minutes remaining, but Woodley went 0-for-8 in the second half and Washington rallied for a 27-17 victory.

Woodley played just four seasons in Miami but finished third in Dolphins history in career passing yards (5,928) and in most pass completions (508) behind Dan Marino and Griese. He holds the Miami rookie record for most pass completions (176), ahead of both Marino (173) and Griese (166).

He was inducted into the Byrd Hall of Fame in April 1995. He is survived by six brothers and sisters.

Family says he died of kidney and liver failure. Apparently, he had a kidney transplant back in '92.

Man, that Sentinel story is sad. Dispondant.

Now that really is terrible.:cry: :cry: :cry:

44!!! Way too young.

You hear about older 60s players dying and that is said, but when you here about a guy this young it's much worse.

Quotes From Don Shula And Don Strock On David Woodley

Quotes From Don Shula And Don Strock On David Woodley
(on his favorite memories and anecdotes on David Woodley) -"David was a special individual - an exciting guy to coach. What I enjoyed the most out of coaching David was that he was such a great athlete and willing to do all the things that we asked him to do. When you have an athlete like that playing quarterback, you can design special plays for special situations and take advantage of his athletic ability. He wasn't the pure passer that (Dan) Marino turned out to be and (Don) Strock was. But David had that combination of being able to throw the ball plus great athletic ability."

I remember Woodley very vividly. At times he was very exciting to watch. I remember a game against Dallas where he was absolutely brilliant. He was fun to watch. Then when the whole WoodStrock thing was a great segment of Dolphin history.

I often wondered what became of him. He just disappeared. It's sad.

Thanks for the few, but fun memories #16!!

I hear Don Strock has come in to take his place.

But seriously, my condolences to his family.

Back
Top Bottom