Rishard Matthews | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rishard Matthews

CASSINO

Starter
Reaction score
I bet you he will be our Marcus Colston!!!!!:hi5::hi5::hi5:

Outside of the mistake on one of the kick returns in the first game, I don't recall any serious mistakes by Matthews, and he got open as consistently as any WR for us outside of Bess. I don't know about being our Colston, but I think if they give him playing time he will be a pleasant surprise this year.

Ok.. You create a one-line thread about a late-round pick receiver and compare him with Colston...

Can you at least elaborate on that wth more details!!!

Colston was a sleeper nobody knew of him just like Matthews. The brother can play and is hungry to prove the world wrong. Miami will be fine, the 2013 draft will be Iraland's most important with 5 picks in the top 100. The Dolphins will be okay. YEAH I said it!!!!

When I read about just his tangibles I didn't understand how he fell to the 7th round. Then I watched some film and looked at some stats and I REALLY don't understand how he fell to the 7th round. He definitely plays like a guy that should've gone much earlier. He's definitely a guy to watch and get excited about, IMO.

Ok.. You create a one-line thread about a late-round pick receiver and compare him with Colston...

Can you at least elaborate on that wth more details!!!

Yea, Colston was undrafted and Im not sure he's all that great. Victor Cruz on the other hand is. Colston benefited from a QB that spread the ball all over the place.......and not to mention, just an awesome QB at that. But I do like the kid and think he will be a starter one day.

Yea, Colston was undrafted and Im not sure he's all that great. Victor Cruz on the other hand is. Colston benefited from a QB that spread the ball all over the place.......and not to mention, just an awesome QB at that. But I do like the kid and think he will be a starter one day.

Colston was a 7th round TE.

Also, what part of Matthews makes you think he's like Marques Colston? Maybe we could have some actual insight on these opinions

In 2010 the Nevada Wolfpack ended up #11 in the nation going 13-1. Starting QB Colin Kaepernick (2nd round 49ers), TE Virgil Green (7th round Broncos), and RB Via Taua (FA Seahawks) all graduated leaving Matthews as the only proven play maker heading into last year. All Matthews did was improve his numbers from:

2010: 56 catches, 879 yards, 5 TD
2011: 91 catches, 1364 yards, 8 TD

Pretty impressive considering how much talent around him graduated from the program.

Also, played big in big games against the Wolfpacks best opponents. In 2010 the Wolfpack's toughest opponents were Cal, Boise St. and Boston College (Bowl Game):
vs. Cal: 3 catches, 83 yards, 1 TD
vs. Boise St.: 10 catches, 172 yards, 1 TD, 1 rush, 44 yards, 1 TD
vs. Boston College: 7 catches, 86 yards, 1 TD, also returned punt for TD

In 2011 the Wolfpack's toughest opponents were Oregon, Texas Tech, Boise St.:
vs. Oregon: 8 catches, 100 yards
vs. Texas Tech: 5 catches, 107 yards, 1 TD
vs. Boise St.: 4 catches, 84 yards, 1 TD

Also had a 10 catch, 220 yards, 1 TD game vs. UNLV and 12 catch, 205 yards, 1 TD game against Utah St.

After watching him play during college and in preseason it seems clear to me Rishard Matthews is legit.

Last edited by a moderator:
We still suck at developing talent. Most of our draft pick never play above or at the level of talent for the round they were drafted in.

I hope he does well. But i've seen no evidence in preseason that hes gonna be more than a number 4 or 5 reciever.

When I read about just his tangibles I didn't understand how he fell to the 7th round. Then I watched some film and looked at some stats and I REALLY don't understand how he fell to the 7th round. He definitely plays like a guy that should've gone much earlier. He's definitely a guy to watch and get excited about, IMO.

Yeah, Slimm has mentioned a couple of times that he doesn't really understand how Matthews fell so far. I believe he said he even felt like Matthews was a third round talent.

I had read that Matthews had a minor knee injury that hurt him at his pro day, so that could be part of it.

Back
Top Bottom