Rivers Threads!

Who's Sick of the Rivers Threads??

• TOTALLY SICK...KILL IT...DEAD HORSE!!

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I CAN'T GET ENOUGH...HE'S GOD!!

Votes: 26 65.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by ckparrothead
Kind of funny I was in all earnestness about to start a thread that tied in with Phillip Rivers' availability at pick #20.

I'll just put it here.

http://www.nflfans.com/draft/article.php?story=2004012504094451

Apparently the Steelers are really chompin at the bit to get Drew Henson (which to me means they don't fancy spending a first round pick on a QB). If we're to believe that Donahoe is blowin smoke up our arse about bein interested in Rivers for pick #13, then if Pitt successfully gets Henson that eliminates probably our two biggest contenders...provided like, the Packers dont trade up.

This again assumes we want Rivers, which is the biggest problem I have with drafting, we never do what we all think we're going to do.:confused:

True that. Then again, our draft needs have never been so clear...and usually aren't until you need a 1st round QB.

http://robscouting.com/Scouting Reports/Quarterbacks/PRivers.htm

Thats a dang good scouting report on Rivers. Very good observations, classy. Says he carries a 3rd round grade but with a strong Senior Bowl would move to the 2nd round, with no doubt there's gotta be a few teams convinced that his arm strength and mechanics are non-issues enough to make him a 1st round pick.

The report seems to suggest what I had a feeling might be true...and thats his mechanics holding back his armstrength a little. If he's able to tweak his mechanics on deeper throws at all to get some more zip on his longer throws then he'd be an all pro caliber QB.

True that. Then again, our draft needs have never been so clear...and usually aren't until you need a 1st round QB.

http://robscouting.com/Scouting Reports/Quarterbacks/PRivers.htm

Thats a dang good scouting report on Rivers. Very good observations, classy. Says he carries a 3rd round grade but with a strong Senior Bowl would move to the 2nd round, with no doubt there's gotta be a few teams convinced that his arm strength and mechanics are non-issues enough to make him a 1st round pick.

The report seems to suggest what I had a feeling might be true...and thats his mechanics holding back his armstrength a little. If he's able to tweak his mechanics on deeper throws at all to get some more zip on his longer throws then he'd be an all pro caliber QB.

Oh it wasn't clear we needed a WR and some vet OL man last year..., it wasn't clear to me we needed a Linebacker, and obviously we didn't need one, he didn't play all year and we kept on going, but a stud WR like boldin might, and I say this carefully, might have made a difference.

Thats the point last year with pick #49 in the draft we could have gone OL, WR, or LB. Thats too many possibilities ESPECIALLY when you're trying to predict for pick #49 in the draft.

Predicting for pick #20 in the draft is a heck of a lot easier than #49 first off, and second off this time around if we haven't got ourselves a QB by the time we enter the draft, we KNOW we're in line for a first round QB, Rivers or Losman maybe depending on which one falls.

"Sure, I made fun of the way he throws," Clemson linebacker John Leake said. "Then you look up and he has found the open guy and burned you again. I've never seen a guy who is better at knowing where everybody is on the field."

Phillip Rivers.

Oh yeah safety was also a very big possibility last year at pick #49....Julian Battle or Ken Hamlin etc.

Thats the point last year with pick #49 in the draft we could have gone OL, WR, or LB. Thats too many possibilities ESPECIALLY when you're trying to predict for pick #49 in the draft.

Predicting for pick #20 in the draft is a heck of a lot easier than #49 first off, and second off this time around if we haven't got ourselves a QB by the time we enter the draft, we KNOW we're in line for a first round QB, Rivers or Losman maybe depending on which one falls.

Phillip Rivers.

Year before that I didn't see Flectcher coming our way either and he was around 20....not so definite as one might think...we had a lot of people here we thought we'd draft when Flectche's name was called we all went , Hum, and that's with a short U sound.

Back then though, QB wasn't a need even though people wanted Drew Brees. It was still very much up in the air whether or not we should commit to Fiedler. And we did need CB pretty bad seeing how Jerry Wilson got so toasted and cost us so much plus Ben Kelly disappointed, people just didn't think we needed one in the 1st round. We also needed WR and a lot of mock drafts had us drafting Chris Chambers in the first round. We later drafted him in the second round...even moved up to get him.

Now we KNOW we're not committing to Fiedler anymore, and we're taking very public interest in the QBs of the draft. Its very different I think...UNLESS prior to the draft we swing some kind of deal. It all depends on if we make some kind of trade for say a Drew Henson or another good QB, and also what happens in free agency, what our language is saying about various possible FA pickups. Like say we pick up a Mark Brunell, that doesn't preclude us from going QB in round 1 though.

Back then though, QB wasn't a need even though people wanted Drew Brees. It was still very much up in the air whether or not we should commit to Fiedler. And we did need CB pretty bad seeing how Jerry Wilson got so toasted and cost us so much plus Ben Kelly disappointed, people just didn't think we needed one in the 1st round. We also needed WR and a lot of mock drafts had us drafting Chris Chambers in the first round. We later drafted him in the second round...even moved up to get him.

Now we KNOW we're not committing to Fiedler anymore, and we're taking very public interest in the QBs of the draft. Its very different I think...UNLESS prior to the draft we swing some kind of deal. It all depends on if we make some kind of trade for say a Drew Henson or another good QB, and also what happens in free agency, what our language is saying about various possible FA pickups. Like say we pick up a Mark Brunell, that doesn't preclude us from going QB in round 1 though.

If we get Drew Henson or Rivers, we still need a Vet. to play, this team is not rebuilding right now. So I'm not completely sole on the fact that we will draft a QB in the 1st, now don't get me wrong, all indications are we will do something QB wise. I'm just not sure what. With Rick in charge, I tend to agree with you, if Wanny still has a lot of influence with Rick, then I'm not sure. Wanny might think we need a impact safety right now, or a replacement for S. Mad. I just don't know. I still want to see what Sage has, even before Rivers.

It's not only glue, it was in the jar, been eaten by a 1st grader, and been crapped out by the damn kid.

Pace yourselves people, there's still almost 3 months to the draft.

I dont necessarily think we'd still need a vet. Sage should be given the chance to win the start I think...and thats with getting Henson or Rivers.

I dont necessarily think we'd still need a vet. Sage should be given the chance to win the start I think...and thats with getting Henson or Rivers.

Now that I can agree upon, this will also settle in the new OC..as we know Ricky will the comfort blanket as Sage settles in and also the new OC settles in. Then by game 3 or 4, I think we see Sage blossum aka Brady...

Hey Ck, I'm leaving work now, will continue this with you when I get home,..keep the thoughts flowing dude.

Back
Top Bottom