Ronnie in the Slot | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ronnie in the Slot

This system isn't going to be a mirror image of Minnesota's offense. We will use the FB and he will play mainly shed-block routines. Kleinsasser was dead weight in Minnesota and that's why they moved him to TE. But you can't replicate that run system in terms of how Ronnie will play -- the running game will be BUILT AROUND Ronnie.

A player like Edgerrin James who hates a FB has the system adapted around him. If Ronnie doesn't want a FB, I don't think they'll use one that often.

South Florida said:
We could very well have a two headed monster in the backfield even without Ricky Williams if you don't forget KJ Harris.

It could confuse the defense if we fake the handoff to Ronnie, toss it to KJ, and have them running full speed together toward the endzone.

That could work.

Or - we could have RW, RB, and KJ all in the backfield and bring back the wishbone. I know it's silly, but it does keep AJ from throwing it.

fsu_nole4life said:
I have to ask.. What was the point of picking up the FB Evans??

When its first and goal from the 3, you think we are going to split 3 wide? Also you can use a fullback for max protection on certain passing plays.

You should always have two fullbacks on the roster just for short yardage situations alone. We wont use him a lot, but its good to have him for certain situations.

Doktor Ivel said:
depends on if Ricky comes back

It doesn't matter if Ricky comes back or not. If he does and can still play great. But I think that Brown and Harris will give us a great 1 - 2 punch. Plus using Ronnie as a WR would be a nice change and cause all kinds of match up problems for the opposition. Which is always nice.

Brown will be the rookie of the year. No doubt.

man all these people thinking kay jay is a lock for the number 2 RB spot... i dont know, i think i'll be surprised if he makes the team with our stocked backfield...

arsenal said:
man all these people thinking kay jay is a lock for the number 2 RB spot... i dont know, i think i'll be surprised if he makes the team with our stocked backfield...
Ronnie and Gordon are 1 and 2 in my book, then I think Morris/Harris gets the nod for #3.

yeah i have gordon at 2 also, dont count out minor either, but i guess we'll see how kay jay does in training camp...

I agree taking a chance on Kay Jay Harris was a good thing. He might turn into a steal for us BUT chiseling it in stone that he will be Ronnie's backup is premature to say the least. Lamar Gordon is not going to hand him the job.

I could see Gordon playing a lot this year. Saban has said on mulitple occasions he is not going to play "wadball". Everyone expecting Ronnie to play every snap and slam it into the line 30 times a game better go and watch Pitt play instead of us.

Linehan and Saban have a history of using multiple running backs.

Gordon has decent hands, is fast and I'm pretty sure he sees this as a great oppurtunity to showcase himself a little bit.

Saban4prez said:
our offense won't utilize a fullback at all. so him playing fullback isn't of much interest to anyone here. He may play slot but i'd expect him to catch most his passes from out of the back field.

Hmm. Vikings used Wiggins a quite a bit last year. I think we'll use a Fullback a decent amount this year

Regan21286 said:
I think we'll use a fullback since it certainly makes it easier for RBs to shed the first defenders. Plus, we signed a FB earlier in the offseason so unless Saban likes throwing money away, he's going to see some action. Minnesota wasn't so good with the run with Linehan and any success they had was due to their good O-Line. Ronnie could be more like a Brian Westbrook-type player, but that means he might not get too many rushing attempts. But to get more rushing yards, you need a good fullback like what Alexander, Lewis, and LT had.

Linehan used a lot of H-back and 2 TE sets in Minny (which is basically the same as having a FB.) The versatility this gives you is that you can run or pass and use the same sets to confuse the defense. Evans could line up as the H-back and still lead block for Ronnie or KJ or RW...Minny was pretty good with the run...I don't have the stats, but they were in the top third of the league if my memory serves me right. Yes, they had a decent OL, but they also had lead blockers at times...and their passing game was feared enough that many of the rushing yards came on more conventional passing downs.

i think that ronnie will play alot of different positions, but i dont see him plying fullback at all. like its been said we wont use the fullback that much, and when we do im sure its going to be evans or morris filling that spot.

we need ronnie carring or catching the ball not blocking (except pass blocking)

Back
Top Bottom