Rosenfels to be backup? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rosenfels to be backup?

phunwin

The name's Bond...James Bond.
Reaction score
According to today's Palm Beach Post, Sage Rosenfels has been told that he will be the backup next year.

"One concern will be identifying a backup for quarterback A.J. Feeley, who will be acquired from Philadelphia on March 3. Although free agents Damon Huard and Billy Volek will be considered, the agent for Sage Rosenfels said he has been told that his client will be the backup.

"That's the plan," agent Rick Smith said. "He's going to be the No. 2 guy. Could he be third? Yeah. But they have said he is going to be the backup.""

Well, he'll come cheap, that's for sure. That would leave us some more money to spend on WR and OL.

This off season just gets better and better! Just kidding! I think I'll go stick my head in the 11inches of snow we just got here in Troutman NC!! I new I should of moved farther south! How is the weather down there guys?

This could be an indication that we may try to draft a QB. Maybe not someone in the first, but def opens the door for a QB. You have to figure that any rookie qb would be a third string guy for a year or two, so all in all, this could be a good thing.. Could be nice.

Maybe it's just me but, I thought this was pretty obvious....no offense phunwin....I've been waiting to see some news about it but, I always assumed that this is what we would do.....even last year it was looking like we were keeping Sage off the radar for some reason.....I said at the time, that we were doing that so as not to attract attention to him by other teams, thus driving up his price if we wanted to resign him.......I thought that I may be wrong when someone pointed out that driving up his price could get us a good draft pick if someone were interested enough....So I was back to being confused, thinking draft picks, to Miami, were more valuable than Sage......Now, it looks like I may have been right after all....we were keeping him on the down-low, so we could resign him easier.....

You people need to listen to me!!

every once in a blue moon anyway.....;)

:cpatch: :cpatch: :cpatch: :cpatch:

Last edited:
Originally posted by inFINSible
Maybe it's just me but, I thought this was pretty obvious....no offense phunwin....I've been waiting to see some news about it but, I always assumed that this is what we would do.....even last year it was looking like we were keeping Sage off the radar for some reason.....I said at the time, that we were doing that so as not to attract attention to him by other teams, thus driving up his price if we wanted to resign him.......I thought that I may be wrong when someone pointed out that driving up his price could get us a good draft pick if someone were interested enough....So I was back to being confused, thinking draft picks, to Miami, were more valuable than Sage......Now, it looks like I may have been right after all....we were keeping him on the down-low, so we could resign him easier.....

You people need to listen to me!!

every once in a blue moon anyway.....;)

:cpatch: :cpatch: :cpatch: :cpatch:

I hope that you are ight because that would mean that we have a talented backup. Hopefully, we will get to see him a little more in the preseason this year so that we can see for ourselves.

Sage is a RFA so if we are really serious about him being our #2 QB, he will get a 1st rd tender offer at $1,368,000. We will know soon enough...

No offense taken, InFINSible, just posting the latest news.

Personally, I thought we were going to sign a veteran backup, but it might be time to see what we've got in Rosenfels.

As for a first round tender, I'd be very surprised if we offered $1.37 million to a backup QB. I would think a third round tender is much more likely, and the team will be pleased with the profit if he's signed away (we got Rosey for a 5th or 6th, right?).

That would scare me

Feeley
Sage
Rookie

The only way i see that happening is if Rivers is available at 20

Jay is definitely gone. He wont restructure. My question is why we cut BG first????? I would love to see us cut jay, resign BG abd go feeley, bg, sage but I dont see it happening.

Originally posted by phunwin
According to today's Palm Beach Post, Sage Rosenfels has been told that he will be the backup next year.

"One concern will be identifying a backup for quarterback A.J. Feeley, who will be acquired from Philadelphia on March 3. Although free agents Damon Huard and Billy Volek will be considered, the agent for Sage Rosenfels said he has been told that his client will be the backup.

"That's the plan," agent Rick Smith said. "He's going to be the No. 2 guy. Could he be third? Yeah. But they have said he is going to be the backup.""

Well, he'll come cheap, that's for sure. That would leave us some more money to spend on WR and OL.

Just more evidence to support that FO and coaches of this team have no idea on negotiations or motivation.

Why tell the kid he's going to be second string??? Why?
Why not motivate the kid to improve and bring his A game to training camp by telling him..... "Hey, were bringing in Feeley to compete for the starting job because he has shown he's ready.
Keep in mind that you were drafted ahead of this guy and we're aware of that so the competition is open. If you want it and you show you're the better QB then the job will be yours".

No lets just tell him he's a backup! :rolleyes:

Re: Re: Rosenfels to be backup?

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Just more evidence to support that FO and coaches of this team have no idea on negotiations or motivation.

Why tell the kid he's going to be second string??? Why?
Why not motivate the kid to improve and bring his A game to training camp by telling him..... "Hey, were bringing in Feeley to compete for the starting job because he has shown he's ready.
Keep in mind that you were drafted ahead of this guy and we're aware of that so the competition is open. If you want it and you show you're the better QB then the job will be yours".

No lets just tell him he's a backup! :rolleyes:

I disagree. The Phins probably want to avoid a QB controversy at all costs. By letting Sage know up front that AJ's the man, they go a long way toward heading one off.

Re: Re: Re: Rosenfels to be backup?

Originally posted by phunwin

I disagree. The Phins probably want to avoid a QB controversy at all costs. By letting Sage know up front that AJ's the man, they go a long way toward heading one off.

Well said.

Back
Top Bottom