Rosenfels to be backup? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Rosenfels to be backup?

Although, i my nightmares, I picture AJ doing enough to be good, not great, but better than Feidler. Then Sage signs with another team a couple of years from now, say the Raiders, and becomes an absolute stud, and everyone looks back to Miami and laughs....

:yikes:

Re: Re: Re: Rosenfels to be backup?

Originally posted by phunwin

I disagree. The Phins probably want to avoid a QB controversy at all costs. By letting Sage know up front that AJ's the man, they go a long way toward heading one off.

Oh, they want to avoid a QB controversy at all costs do they???
That's what you think?

That would be why Wanny want's Jay Fiedler back.... to help avoid QB controversy?

I don't think so.
That would be the worst cancer of a controversy you coud possibly create.

They aren't trying to stay away from a QB controversy and looking at the different directions they are going in on the QB issue I'd have to say they really don't know what the hell they want to do!

Telling Sage the job is up for grabs wouldn't start a controversy it would start competition between 2 unknown guys vying for their first starting job. Intelligent choice.

Sage is looking more and more like our #2 unless Jay comes back

w/R Ray gone and maybe even Volek gone

Titans | Trying to Re-sign Volek - from www.KFFL.com
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 02:20:52 -0800

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports the Tennessee Titans are trying to re-sign backup QB Billy Volek before he hits the free agent market next week. The two sides exchanged contract proposals Thursday, Feb. 26. Volek has said he'd like to stay with the Titans.

No offense taken, InFINSible, just posting the latest news.

Personally, I thought we were going to sign a veteran backup, but it might be time to see what we've got in Rosenfels.

As for a first round tender, I'd be very surprised if we offered $1.37 million to a backup QB. I would think a third round tender is much more likely, and the team will be pleased with the profit if he's signed away (we got Rosey for a 5th or 6th, right?).

Me too !!

Originally posted by inFINSible
Maybe it's just me but, I thought this was pretty obvious....no offense phunwin....I've been waiting to see some news about it but, I always assumed that this is what we would do.....even last year it was looking like we were keeping Sage off the radar for some reason.....I said at the time, that we were doing that so as not to attract attention to him by other teams, thus driving up his price if we wanted to resign him.......I thought that I may be wrong when someone pointed out that driving up his price could get us a good draft pick if someone were interested enough....So I was back to being confused, thinking draft picks, to Miami, were more valuable than Sage......Now, it looks like I may have been right after all....we were keeping him on the down-low, so we could resign him easier.....

You people need to listen to me!!

every once in a blue moon anyway.....;)

:cpatch: :cpatch: :cpatch: :cpatch:

I agree with ya, I thought we would keep Sage.
WHICH brings me to another point.............................
it ain't like the eagles were exactly showcasing Feeley last year. ;)

Originally posted by finsnchips
That would scare me

Feeley
Sage
Rookie

The only way i see that happening is if Rivers is available at 20

What scares me even more .......................

Huizenga
Spielman
Wannstedt.............. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rosenfels to be backup?

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Oh, they want to avoid a QB controversy at all costs do they???
That's what you think?

That would be why Wanny want's Jay Fiedler back.... to help avoid QB controversy?

I don't think so.
That would be the worst cancer of a controversy you coud possibly create.

They aren't trying to stay away from a QB controversy and looking at the different directions they are going in on the QB issue I'd have to say they really don't know what the hell they want to do!

Telling Sage the job is up for grabs wouldn't start a controversy it would start competition between 2 unknown guys vying for their first starting job. Intelligent choice.

First, I don't think Fiedler will be back, regardless of what Wanny is saying. But yes, if he DID come back, that would be about the worst possible way to avoid a controversy.

Second, telling both QBs, and thus everyone, that the job is up for grabs is practically a textbook definition of a QB controversy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rosenfels to be backup?

First, I don't think Fiedler will be back, regardless of what Wanny is saying. But yes, if he DID come back, that would be about the worst possible way to avoid a controversy.

Second, telling both QBs, and thus everyone, that the job is up for grabs is practically a textbook definition of a QB controversy.

Just like back in 2000 when it was "Damon's job to lose" !! ;)

NO BRIAN GRIESE, NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Rosenfels to be backup?

This we agree on.
If they Wanny is going to influence Speilman to keep Jay there was zero reason to give up our 2nd round pick next year for Feeley. Also you'd definitely divide the team right in half if you kept your old QB around while bringing in a new guy that is supposed to be taking his job.

This I don't agree with at all however.
Unless you are an established starter with a track record like Favre, Manning, Vick, McNair, etc. your job is never set in stone.
If starting jobs were just given out before being competed for then there would be no need for training camps correct?
If jobs were given out without competition then no one would ever move up the depth chart. If jobs weren't competed for you'd never know if a player was better than another!
Dosen't make to much sense when you actually think about what you're saying on this issue.
Especially in this case. QB controversy? There already is one.
Neither Sage nor Feeley have proven anything nor have a track record to afford them a "proceed to a starting job for free pass".
One needs to step up and SHOW he is ready for the job.
To tell Feeley he is our first choice BUT that he has to prove his worth is common sense. You still make him compete! That is competition for a starting job. A controversy is when a coach, players, or media question who the starter is after one is picked NOT before the competitors fight it out for the job!

Originally posted by DeDolfan

I agree with ya, I thought we would keep Sage.
WHICH brings me to another point.............................
it ain't like the eagles were exactly showcasing Feeley last year. ;)
They didn't have to......if anyone wanted game film on him, there were 5 games from 2002 that were available.:tongue:

You guys stop complaining about a guy who hasnt even had a freakin' chance to prove you right or wrong.So far the only thing I can say negative about the Feeley trade is the 2nd round pick is too high when I think a 3rd or 4th rd would have been sufficient.
Review:
Brunell-too much $$$$$
Ramsey-another 1st rounder gone
Garcia-like Brunell too much $$$ and injury prone
Who else????

I still think with 2 first rounders Spielman goes Losman for our future unless Rivers is there but We are gonna finally have a Marks Bros combo again and if thats the case they alone could make Feeley look like pro bowl material(MAYBE).

I will assume that with the contract that Feeley signed and that Feeley was told he was the starter going into this season, Sage understands that going into camp as the #2 QB is an upgrade from the last two years.
Also if Sage does out shine Feeley in camp and preseason then logically he should start, considering that DW is on thin ice to begin with and IMO would give the starting job to the QB who could best save his job.
Although money can be a factor, in this case I think it's less likely to impact the starting job and Sage already knowing the system could actually have an edge here. So to me it's not such a big deal telling Sage he will be the backup.

Does anyone think Turner will go after Sage, Ive heard the O-gun rumors but what about Sage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Something to think about with Wanny is that his loyalty is to Fiedler but if Fiedler isnt here I see it as open competition.Sage has been good in preseason but if given the chance against some first team Def. lets see what happens.

I'm not saying Sage is the next Brady or Delhomme, but the coaches shouldn't discount him either because who's to say Feeley is, and we may end up with acouple of duds.

Back
Top Bottom